Magnificent's extended guitar solo...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This album is pretty unimpressive for Edge.

Really?

Maybe as I don't play guitar, I don't know. But as a music fan, I love Edge's work. In fact, I'm impressed by the entire band. The lryics are clearly up, Bono's vocals are soaring, the rhythm section is spectacular and Edge does some outstanding mixing of sounds, combining his signature delay effect with some Zeppelin-esque riffs.

Keep in mind, Edge is not Jimmy Page. He will NEVER have solos like that - it's not his style at all. The closest I've ever heard Edge really rip into a more traditional solo was for "Desire" on the Love Town tour. And even then, that was minor compared to the "greats". Edge is considered to be amongst the best partly for his minimalist style and outstanding use of effects.

on record........yes i would have to say he doesn't play in your face solos. however, when playing live he usually makes up for it.

WTF? You still haven't heard Fez or Cedars?? what the heck are you saving them for?? holy dam!!! Well I'de suggest you hear Fez if you want to hear experimental. That track is the most experimental track on the album and is easily on the top 3 best of the album IMHO

I'm saving it for the right time. I watched most of the DVD; I was very glad that "Breathe" had a longer drum intro on the album; perhaps the best part of the song!

It was exactly because Fez was so highly reputed that I waited. It took me a while to listen to "Moment". I don't want to lose that new album feel! I only opened the thing about 3 weeks ago!

I think what he means is that if you are a big lover of guitar solos, U2 might not be your band. Because Edge isn't a solo player, he barely plays guitar solos, and if he does, they're minimal. I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing, it suits U2's music. But it's just like that, if you like big solos, you shouldn't try to find them in U2.

Is the guitar solo of the FLY minimal and isn't it gorgeous?

Magnificent's extended solo is not big but it is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l.

Liked the solos in Magnificent and MOS and especially Unknown caller (is that his longest solo ever ?).

Other than that I liked Edge on Boots and Breathe in NLOTH. I agree that he hasn't been a great presence in a while, since Achtung Baby. He was buried under effects on Zooropa and Pop, and is mostly mixing up his older sounds on the last 3 albums.

I was very dissapointed hearing the album version solo after hearing this version about a week before the album leaked.

This version would be boring after repeat listens as I'm sure the band knows after hearing it too much while recording it. The album solo is better for repeat listens.

no.......i would have to say the fly, acrobat or bullet is his best ever on record.

Back
Top Bottom