Magnificent delivered to the radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'MAGNIFICENT' SINGLE TRACK DETAILS
April 07, 2009
posted by: m2
U2tour.de has posted track list details for the upcoming "Magnificent" single:

7" single (UK only)
Side A: Magnificent (UK Edit)
Side B: Breathe (Live from Sommerville Theatre, Boston)

2-track CD:
1. Magnificent (Edit)
2. Breathe (Live from Somerville Theatre, Boston)

3-track CD:
1. Magnificent (Edit)
2. Vertigo (Live from Somerville Theatre, Boston)
3. Get On Your Boots (Justice Remix)
4. TBD

3. Get On Your Boots (Justice Remix)
4. TBD

These two is interesting. The Crookers Remix of GOYB was awful, but perhaps this one will give the song justice :)D). I'm not expecting the TBD to be a unreleased song since there's Songs of Ascent on the Horizon (two jokes in one post, truly unbelievable :wink:), but you can always hope.

I posted this over in the chart thread, but thought I'd reiterate it here:

With all the shitty remixes U2 has inflicted on us over the years, they finally decide to stop with Magnificent? If ever there was a U2 song that could have some mind-blowing remixes, it's this one. Maybe they'll be on the 3rd single? There should at least be a Will.i.am mix and I'd love to see JUSTICE have another go.

They're giving us Vertigo live?? For real??? :|

LOL. Is it that hard for U2 to put a decent B-side together? Easily they could have placed "Winter" or a acoustic version of a song. These live versions are great I'm sure, but not worth buying a single over.

Also posted this over at the chart thread:

I have to agree, I collect all the physical singles, and the track record over the last few albums has been pretty poor in my opinion. I don't mind if there is one quality remix on a cd single, but it needs at least one bit of new material. We know they might not be finished polished songs these "demos", but unlike in boots, "we do get it boys". Come on. And while the live tracks are good and all that, most of us already have the bloody things these days before they come out on a single. :down::doh::sad:

dont they have one song that isnt a remix to throw at fans. come one guys..........there has to be something interesting from your back catalog.

What song is TBD and how do you know it's awesome?

sarcasm |ˈsärˌkazəm|
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt : his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment. See note at wit .
ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from French sarcasme, or via late Latin from late Greek sarkasmos, from Greek sarkazein ‘tear flesh,’ in late Greek ‘gnash the teeth, speak bitterly’ (from sarx, sark- ‘flesh’ ).

:hmm:

Actually I don't think I've ever heard GOYB on the radio either, I listened for it around its release, but clearly at the wrong times.

I don't care about singles anyway and won't buy this one. I think the live version of Breathe is great, but I already have it. I only want to listen to the album version of Magnificent. The radio edit I've heard has been cut in the beginning and the end, and the solo has also been cut short, it just doesn't feel right. If U2 decided to release some interesting B-side, I may consider buying the single, with GOYB they at least had the good NLOTH version.

LOL. Is it that hard for U2 to put a decent B-side together? Easily they could have placed "Winter" or a acoustic version of a song. These live versions are great I'm sure, but not worth buying a single over.

Even Magnificent live would've sufficed. :huh: Why do U2 keep owning themselves with bad singles? Magnificent is a GREAT song and they give us the mediocre and OLD Vertigo as a Bside? Why not something from THIS album?
Shit, there are plenty of live performed songs now they could use, Magnificent various performances, Breathe on various performances(Though I'd save them for Breathe's single) and Crazy Tonight live. Even a version of Boots live would've been better than VERTIGO.

I loved the bside of Boots, it was a good single. But the promotion sucked very badly.

Even Magnificent live would've sufficed. :huh: Why do U2 keep owning themselves with bad singles? Magnificent is a GREAT song and they give us the mediocre and OLD Vertigo as a Bside? Why not something from THIS album?
Shit, there are plenty of live performed songs now they could use, Magnificent various performances, Breathe on various performances(Though I'd save them for Breathe's single) and Crazy Tonight live.

:eyebrow:
A live version of Breathe IS on the single.

From the announcement:
7" single (UK only)
Side A: Magnificent (UK Edit)
Side B: Breathe (Live from Sommerville Theatre, Boston)

2-track CD:
1. Magnificent (Edit)
2. Breathe (Live from Somerville Theatre, Boston)

I know, I was talking about the other one. The version with Breathe live is perfectly fine, but why do they ruin the picture by putting Vertigo on another disc? If they had just done the Breathe live one I'd be fine. What irks me is that U2 keep ruining their singles with this kinda thing.

When's the last time we had a great bside(NLOTH2 not counting)?

And I still would save Breathe Live for the Breathe single. :hmm: Though, if we'd get Magnificent live on it, that'd be pretty cool I guess.

I know, I was talking about the other one. The version with Breathe live is perfectly fine, but why do they ruin the picture by putting Vertigo on another disc? If they had just done the Breathe live one I'd be fine. What irks me is that U2 keep ruining their singles with this kinda thing.

When's the last time we had a great bside(NLOTH2 not counting)?

And I still would save Breathe Live for the Breathe single. :hmm: Though, if we'd get Magnificent live on it, that'd be pretty cool I guess.

I like Always... so 2000? AYGWF? was also quite good too...

But ugh, the crappy 2 track CD... a great invention... 1998 was the year they [the BPI] essentially "banned" the EP from charting and we've ended up with this... though iTunes has sorta brought it back, however so few acts actually release them anymore...

I agree, it is strange they'd do Breathe as a live song then release it as a single later.

On the subject of original songs; I've heard it mentioned before that record companies like acts to save original tracks for albums nowadays and singles are usually a mix of live, mix or covers. The first single from an album tends to have an actual bside to hook the hardcore - then it's all 'versions'.

Cover:

Magnificent_Cover.jpg

Back
Top Bottom