LP15 - We're due for a break from the norm - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #76
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:20 AM
I think Songs of Experience is a good album.

I think e/i is a good tour.

I've come to expect more than good from my favorite band, though... so good is kind of a let down.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:57 PM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Yeah...MOS is my favorite U2 song of the last 10 years. Pretty easily, actually.
I suspect they’ll bring it back on some future tour. They clearly like it.

Would love to hear that “future myths” album.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I think Songs of Experience is a good album.

I've come to expect more than good from my favorite band, though... so good is kind of a let down.
This. I'll say it for the umpteenth time, but SOE has a lot of good to great tracks. Unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
My biggest issue isnt the generic riffs so much as what happened on SOE.

I mean, how many producers were there? 5? 10? And yet they borrow the main guitar for LOH from another artist, reuse the chorus guitar from Volcano on American Soul (as well as the "you are rock and roll" lyrics which don't fit the fucking song about accepting immigrants/all people), reuse a good portion of the chorus lyrics from Song for Someone on 13.....what the fuck!

I also recall reading a story about how each member would record their part of a given song separately and give it to one of the 10 producers to mash together with the other recorded parts. I feel like this album....doesn't feel like an album.
Quote:
When your band's success and uniqueness is based largely on the innovative sounds of your guitar player... and 3 of the 4 most memorable guitar riffs are either a) written by someone else, or b) have already been used in a previous U2 song?

That's a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Even ATYCLB, the most distinctly "traditionalist" U2 album, celebrated for sticking to what works, has some really weird and interesting guitar moments on it. Edge frequently bends his tone and picking to fit the track. Peace on Earth and Grace have some strange and ear-catching textures. Elevation has an ugly, gain-soaked tone that doesn't sound quite like any of his other work. WILATW has a echoing, squealing tone that he has explicitly stated he can't recreate. Edge is straight up the MVP on New York, balancing slippery yet harrowing textures with scorching distortion in a classic loud/soft dynamic. That little accent he picks on "in the queue for the lifeboat" is incredibly playful.

There never should be a place for being dull and uncreative in this band. Not the band whose music I fell in love with.
...I can't disagree with any of this.

But, in a slightly alternate reality, where The Blackout is the lead single, followed by videos for Love Is Bigger, Summer of Love/The Showman/Red Flag Day, and all those songs are in regular rotation in the setlist, I'm a much happier camper.

Just like I'll forever wonder how much better SOI would have been with just Danger Mouse behind the boards, I'll continue speculating if a non-Trump, earlier release of SOE would have been less of a mess. At least we wouldn't have the awful trash that is Get Out, and I'd be willing to lose The Blackout over it.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #79
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
This. I'll say it for the umpteenth time, but SOE has a lot of good to great tracks. Unfortunately...

...I can't disagree with any of this.

But, in a slightly alternate reality, where The Blackout is the lead single, followed by videos for Love Is Bigger, Summer of Love/The Showman/Red Flag Day, and all those songs are in regular rotation in the setlist, I'm a much happier camper.

Just like I'll forever wonder how much better SOI would have been with just Danger Mouse behind the boards, I'll continue speculating if a non-Trump, earlier release of SOE would have been less of a mess. At least we wouldn't have the awful trash that is Get Out, and I'd be willing to lose The Blackout over it.
Agreed on the last point... but I think we still would have gotten Blackout, as I see it as a song about Bono and the band and not about Trump or anything like that. They sort of shoehorned a double meaning in there, would maybe some lyrics might have slightly changed... but I'm fairly certain the song would have existed very close to it's current form if the album would have been released on time.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

My take, and it really remains the same since the album came out, is that it's all about mindset.

I'm generally a glass half full kind of guy, and really, post NLOTH, I'm just so fucking grateful that my all time favorite band is still making music. On the flip side, I know that they'll never reach the heights of '84 - '97, which IMO is their peak. They haven't been there for a while, and that's fine. They're old.

SOI and SOE both have tracks that would poke its way into my top 25, and that's impressive considering their back catalog. "Little Things" is easily top 20. For a band pushing 60, bravo to them.

I understand why some are more critical. That's fine. I just choose to enjoy their music in its current shape and form because the alternative (band breaking up, members dying, etc) is much worse.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #81
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Mikal speaks for me.

whether he likes it or not.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
My take, and it really remains the same since the album came out, is that it's all about mindset.

I'm generally a glass half full kind of guy, and really, post NLOTH, I'm just so fucking grateful that my all time favorite band is still making music. On the flip side, I know that they'll never reach the heights of '84 - '97, which IMO is their peak. They haven't been there for a while, and that's fine. They're old.

SOI and SOE both have tracks that would poke its way into my top 25, and that's impressive considering their back catalog. "Little Things" is easily top 20. For a band pushing 60, bravo to them.

I understand why some are more critical. That's fine. I just choose to enjoy their music in its current shape and form because the alternative (band breaking up, members dying, etc) is much worse.
Throw in that crowd applause gif here.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
Throw in that crowd applause gif here.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

This. If you told me since post Vertigo Tour we would have gotten 3 new albums and 4 big tours (some being revolutionary) I would take that happily.

To have

NLOTH
MOS
EBW
Troubles
Reach Me
RFD
Little Things
Love is Bigger

out of all this is pretty solid for a band in their 60's. Scale wise what U2 is still doing (new music, tour) will never happen again for a rock band. Most of today's rock bands won't make it to their 40's.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #85
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

I am generally more inline with this line of thought... but if we can't discuss their faults, man, this place would turn into @u2... and nobody needs that noise.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
I'll take it.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I am generally more inline with this line of thought... but if we can't discuss their faults, man, this place would turn into @u2... and nobody needs that noise.

Respect bro.

It helps that I haven’t soured on SOI/SOE at all. I think it’s a really strong era in general. I have major issues with NLOTH though.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #88
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by The John Tree View Post
I've been missing the last few months, so help me out here:

Do we all hate SoE all of a sudden? Because I remember the reactions post-release were pretty overwhelmingly positive, and I still really like it.

Also - Bono's eroding voice? He sounds to be in much better (full) voice on this tour than in quite a while. The only thing that seems to have slipped is his falsetto, which is noticeably absent.
Agreed regarding Bono"s voice. His vocals on SOI and SOE and there respective tours sound pretty excellent to me?

Does anyone remember the weakness, raspiness and consistency issues on Popmart and the Elevation tour. All things considered and falsetto aside his voice now is miles better than it was 15 - 20 years ago.

And I still like SOE a lot and listen pretty much daily
Old 07-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Agreed regarding Bono"s voice. His vocals on SOI and SOE and there respective tours sound pretty excellent to me?

Does anyone remember the weakness, raspiness and consistency issues on Popmart and the Elevation tour. All things considered and falsetto aside his voice now is miles better than it was 15 - 20 years ago.

And I still like SOE a lot and listen pretty much daily
Agreed, I think Bono's voice has improved since the Elevation era. He did sound weaker back then.

I also still listen to SOE a lot and haven't gotten tired of it. Lately I don't have the patience for GOOYOW and AS, so I've been skipping them. The rest is solid gold.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
It sounds like the band are trying to pass a creative kidney stone.

Closed Thread