LP14: Songs of Experience - To Valencia and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so U2 have been mingling with fans in Valencia..... Surely some of them must be asking about SOE. Any news from fans?

Sent from my SM-N910G using U2 Interference mobile app

I will take "madness" over, "we're really focusing on songwriting, and structures that can be played just as well acoustically". Bring it

Madness sounds promising, but remember this comes from a man who still says things like ""Edge is on fire" and "how punk rock is that?" :D

Actually ... something like a "CD in the shop" would be fun .. nothing digital, but I guess we are beyond those times.
+ 1
I can't buy music digitally only... I actually love Amazon's concept where you get a digital copy as you buy a CD. Allows me to have the music right away, but I still get my CD. Of course it's about the music, but the booklet and the cover design are just as much part of the experience for me.

Oh that's too bad that the album is "Madness". Most likely means that the band is upset about it and there's a delay.

:D

Actually ... something like a "CD in the shop" would be fun .. nothing digital, but I guess we are beyond those times.

yeah, definitely! You can pretty much guarantee a digital-first release.

Being able to securely release an album online is pretty much a tailor-made release method for a band like U2 who like to be in total control of everything. I'm just surprised that it took them til 2014 to finally do it!

The staff at U2.com would probably have a collective meltdown if they attempted any sort of "CD+download" bundle when announcing the new album though, so it'll probably be left to iTunes and co. to just get it out there and release the CDs/LPs later?

yeah, definitely! You can pretty much guarantee a digital-first release.

Being able to securely release an album online is pretty much a tailor-made release method for a band like U2 who like to be in total control of everything. I'm just surprised that it took them til 2014 to finally do it!

The staff at U2.com would probably have a collective meltdown if they attempted any sort of "CD+download" bundle when announcing the new album though, so it'll probably be left to iTunes and co. to just get it out there and release the CDs/LPs later?
They have a meltdown with a simple newsletter, so yeah, you're probably right :D

That, combined with two promo shows scheduled for the coming months, would definitely suggest that something is on the way.

I imagine that the I Heart Radio gig would be to show off a new single or a few new tracks.

The photo shoots that they've shared a few pix on Instagram and whatnot, seem to show that the machine is revving for album/tour time.

So the I Heart Radio show is Sept. Probably a single released that week. I'd imagine the album would start with the tour - sometime after that.

The only bit would be... do they put the album out in October and then start the tour in the Spring? Or tour immediately.

Normally, ticket sales have happened in the 5-7 mos before a tour. As we've not hear any dates / sale dates announced, it would seem less likely that there'd be shows this year. But anything is possible, I suppose.

My own thought would be a single in Sept, album in October and tour start in late February. But yeah... merely speculation based on their past activities.

I just rechecked the physical worldwide release of SOI. It was October 13th 2014. Did not remember that. I thought CD/Vinyl versions of SOI were available in September already.

I still think we will get SOE in digital format in September 2016. Then the promo shows, then SOE physical release... then Mid Oct start of the eXPERIENCE Tour in the US. If no Tour this fall, then 1st quarter 2017 in SA. Australia/ROW will still have to wait.

I still think we will get SOE in digital format in September 2016. Then the promo shows, then SOE physical release... then Mid Oct start of the eXPERIENCE Tour in the US. If no Tour this fall, then 1st quarter 2017 in SA. Australia/ROW will still have to wait.
Based on what? I can totally see Australia AND South America in very early 2017. For example: january-february Australia / New Zealand (and potentially one or two in Asia), followed by march to april or may in South America, then working their way north.

You'd have to think they'd want the single out in advance of the iHeartRadio show. Why go play a mini-festival and debut a new song or two that nobody will know? I'd guess that the single will come out at least a week in advance of 9/23.

You'd have to think they'd want the single out in advance of the iHeartRadio show. Why go play a mini-festival and debut a new song or two that nobody will know? I'd guess that the single will come out at least a week in advance of 9/23.

Yep. I think we'll get a better idea when you start to hear about the band's vacation being over. Right now, I highly doubt they'll spew anything to a random fan.

But you'd think with 2 shows coming up towards end of Sept/early Oct, if this album is really happening, we will at minimum have heard the lead single by mid September.

Yep. I think we'll get a better idea when you start to hear about the band's vacation being over. Right now, I highly doubt they'll spew anything to a random fan.

But you'd think with 2 shows coming up towards end of Sept/early Oct, if this album is really happening, we will at minimum have heard the lead single by mid September.

You'd think, but we are talking about u2. Let us not forget how they wasted the 2014 super bowl...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Seems to me like the 40th anniversary would be more likely celebrated with an album release than just a single release, especially if they're performing before said date.

Cebreating 40 years as a band willing be the "reapplying for the biggest band in the world" mantra of this album cycle. The recurring theme. It won't be tied to a specific date though.. Just an oft repeated sound byte as they promote single, album and tour

"40 years is a long time to be in a street gang"

:rolleyes:

Can't wait to hear that 25 times in the next year.

Also, is it a done deal already that "40" is going to close every show? It's too perfect.

Once again none of this has anything to do with title.

Yeah, album titles are never an indication about the sound concept the band wants to translate to their fans. Especially a title that DIRECTLY SAYS that the album is a sequel to the previous one. In this case, we even know that a lot of songs from both albums were born at the same sessions.
Even though it indicates another kind of aproach, an experienced artist aproach, its a SEQUEL.

But no, if the title remains SOE, we can still expect a departure. Sorry, my bad, what was i thinking?

Yeah, album titles are never an indication about the sound concept the band wants to translate to their fans. Especially a title that DIRECTLY SAYS that the album is a sequel to the previous one. In this case, we even know that a lot of songs from both albums were born at the same sessions.

Even though it indicates another kind of aproach, an experienced artist aproach, its a SEQUEL.

But no, if the title remains SOE, we can still expect a departure. Sorry, my bad, what was i thinking?

So naming it 'Hot Sauce' would automatically mean it's a departure? Continuing a theme does not mean continuing a sound. And from what we've heard recently "songs born from the same sessions" isn't necessarily true. The theme I and of itself is change, transition, growth.

But no, a theme of maturity and change, we can still expect the same. Sorry, my bad, what was i thinking?

I think most people are disappointed with the production of the songs. Gone are the days of what I call landscaping, where the songs almost took on a cinematic feel

Everything is crisp and clean....very loud compared to production of the past.

And I don't think Bono's lyrics and singing help. He says too much and I feel it suffocates the rest of the band

Perfectly said.

Someone in this forum posted the song Rainbow from the then new album of Robert Plant just before SOI was released. And that one song changed my expectations about an U2 upcoming album. That song is everything U2 should be doing now. It has depth, emotion, great melody. It doesnt sound forced or manufactured. The guy is 70 years old. He is speaking to his audience. If some new kids wants to come aboard, well, welcome. That's the feeling.
Please, don't get me wrong, i am old enough to be greatful that U2 is still making new music. I have great joy everytime U2 releases an album. I really really admire them to keep looking foward.
But i know they are capable to make timeless, soul wrenching music. Forget about Beyonce or Adele, U2 are way above these in everything, stop chasing relevance, relevance will come after you. And if it doesn't, sorry for the people who didn't listen, that's their loss. U2 are that important yes.
They can do better. If Robert Plant can, so can U2.

So naming it 'Hot Sauce' would automatically mean it's a departure? Continuing a theme does not mean continuing a sound. And from what we've heard recently "songs born from the same sessions" isn't necessarily true. The theme I and of itself is change, transition, growth.

But no, a theme of maturity and change, we can still expect the same. Sorry, my bad, what was i thinking?

Oh my, well, i don't know which name will indicate a departure, but i surely know which won't. We had no real departure on the last 16 years, but maybe the super creative and fresh title Songs of Experience is leading you to believe we will have big surprises coming. Well...
But let's wait and see. Its better than continuing this argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom