Iris (Hold Me Close) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono trying that whole "free yourself to be yourself" crap at the end of Iris turns the song into an ultimate cliche cheese fest.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bono trying that whole "free yourself to be yourself" crap at the end of Iris turns the song into an ultimate cliche cheese fest.

It's dreadful. There's a guaranteed amount of cheese at a U2 concert, but is spraying the crowd with Easy-Cheese with "free yourself to be yourself".

It's dreadful. There's a guaranteed amount of cheese at a U2 concert, but is spraying the crowd with Easy-Cheese with "free yourself to be yourself".

Ya!!! Tell Bono to stop spraying his audience in the face with his cheese sauce

I still love this song. HOMEEYYY CLOSEEE!!

homey-don-t-play-dat-o.gif

Even though I think the "free yourself to be yourself" thing is bad, it's still been my favorite of the new songs live. They've really been killing it.

It really doesn't work as an audience sing-a-long. I find that it kills the intimacy of the song; it breaks the spell. And the whispering and heavy breathing are just terrible. Still, it sounds great live. Take away the forced crowd interaction and stupid intense breathing and it could be one of their best live songs.

I think it's their most moving song in a very long time. I really like the "free yourself" bit on the album. It hits pretty hard.

It really doesn't work as an audience sing-a-long. I find that it kills the intimacy of the song; it breaks the spell. And the whispering and heavy breathing are just terrible. Still, it sounds great live. Take away the forced crowd interaction and stupid intense breathing and it could be one of their best live songs.

I think it's their most moving song in a very long time. I really like the "free yourself" bit on the album. It hits pretty hard.

When I breathe heavy and whisper, I get a much better reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, I must fully agree.

Coincidentaly, I listened to it today on the record and it is one of the best songs U2 ever made in their career.

Period

Having enjoyed this one in concert, I can say that it's the best song from the album...on paper. Unfortunately, the flat, MOR radio-friendly production just sucks all of the energy out of it.

Live, it's an absolute killer and tells me that it could have been yet another U2 masterpiece. Perhaps they could rework it for a future compilation.

I was really positively surprised by this track live. I enjoyed it a lot, the crowd singalong and Bono pouring every bit of energy he had in the tune really made it special. Grew on me more in 2 days than in the past year! :up:

I think this will break the top ten into favorites of all time from them. It's one of the most u2'ey songs they've done if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom