Invisible and Songs of Innocence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
I might be in the minority here and I know most of us are happy that U2 gave us 11 brand new songs (well, maybe with the exception of Every Breaking Wave which we've heard in a different live version before), but I will still say that I think Invisible would have fitted the whole Songs of Innocence concept and I'm surprised they didn't include it. I was actually curious to hear the longer version of the song and I think with its DM production they would have been able to integrate the song well into the album, musically. The theme of Invisible fits the album theme perfectly.

Any ideas why they decided against putting Invisible on the album? Will we be hearing it as part of a regular release in the future? I

Ok, but wouldn't the whole youth/living in Dublin/leaving Dublin/growing up theme be the perfect environment for the song? When I first heard about the album concept in a Bono interview some time ago it was clear to me that Invisible fitted into that. Besides, it was supposed to be a first glimpse into the album, and now it's nowhere to be seen and heard. Interesting choice.

If there is a next album and invisible isn't on it, then I recommend it as tracking number two on songs of innocence.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think the response from fans and the public was lukewarm so they left it off. I personally have it on the 2nd spot for this album. We haven't heard the "Songs of experience" yet but I don't see how it would fit on there. I hope we see the light of day of the longer version as a b-side somewhere so the album will feel complete.

Agree, Mikal.

I'm not sure if they decided Invisible had had it's time in the Sun and needed to be a separate entity, or what, but I find it really strange, thematically, that it's not here.

The narrative on this album focuses on the VERY early days, however, so I wonder if the next album is still a look back, just on, maybe, the 80s and beyond, and the story in Invisible fits better there?

I think it would have made one hell of a track 2 on SOI.

The Miracle -> Invisible -> EBW

I don't think it's a shoe-in to be included on SOE, since it fits thematically here. Hopefully we at least get a new/different version as a b-side and they play it live.

Invisible is a one off single. Fits the theme of SOI, but won't make the cut for SOE, as Innocence is an album themed (mostly) in the band's beginnings.

I agree w/Mikal fits perfectly in the 2 slot for SOI...:D

That was my issue with its exclusion - that it would have fit so well in the #2 slot in every conceivable way.

And I was looking forward to a full album edit of it.

Still puzzling to not see it in the final tracklisting, but I think they wanted it to remain standing on it's own.

But as I've said millions of times, I'm not bothered - although a longer edit would have been great.

Agree, Mikal.

I'm not sure if they decided Invisible had had it's time in the Sun and needed to be a separate entity, or what, but I find it really strange, thematically, that it's not here.

The narrative on this album focuses on the VERY early days, however, so I wonder if the next album is still a look back, just on, maybe, the 80s and beyond, and the story in Invisible fits better there?

You could easily say the whole thing is set in Dublin and Invisible could be the opening song of Experience, the song representing the breakaway – but then California ruins that reading.

If there is a next album and invisible isn't on it, then I recommend it as tracking number two on songs of innocence.

I agree with this. In my playlist, I but Invisible as the second track and it works brilliantly between Miracle and Wave.

I put Ordinary Love (Epworth mix) at the end and that works as a good closer (although The Troubles is a good closer too, I feel the song is just too good for a closer).

I wonder if U2 intentionally left it off because they figured that those who really wanted it on would make a custom playlist anyway. :D

It's a better song than much of the first half and fits in perfectly, and we clearly have only heard an edit/there's apparently a version with different verses. I'm bummed. If anything EBW doesn't fit in with the "Innocence" idea.

Yes, I'm glad we got 11 new songs.

But Invisible is an intrinsic part of this album, both sonically and, well, the story. I've tried it as track 2, but I think it's home is as track 1. In my playlist, that's where it will go.

I'm also experimenting with Ordinary Love sitting after Every Breaking Wave.

Could be a bonus/hidden track on SOI when it is officially physically released, could be on SOE, have to think it has to be a live number since it will be massive live!

In my mind, I'm just going to say Invisible is a teaser/preview of the album, logistically and thematically.

Works for me.

(But man, I really want to hear it among these other songs! :lol: )

Yes, I'm glad we got 11 new songs.

But Invisible is an intrinsic part of this album, both sonically and, well, the story. I've tried it as track 2, but I think it's home is as track 1. In my playlist, that's where it will go.

I'm also experimenting with Ordinary Love sitting after Every Breaking Wave.

Same for me. I don't care for The Miracle as an album opener, but Invisible really would knock the album off to a good start. I push The Miracle to track 2.

Sometimes I also feel like California could've switched places with The Miracle and I might have preferred that listing as well. California/EBW sounds a little smoother together than Miracle/EBW, just for me personally.

I would have liked to see an expanded version of Invisible...either on this record or the next one. The song's grown on me, and clearly it fits thematically with what they're doing. And even if it's not on SOE, I imagine the non-RED version will surface eventually.

That said, in the age of iTunes and playlists I'm not sure it matters. If you want Invisible on the record, stick it on there (I think Mikal's track 2 suggestion sounds about right). For that matter, if you want go all Blake and end the record with Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience, go for it (though clearly this doesn't make for a sonic fit).

Speaking of which, I bet there's a song called "Jerusalem" on SOE, which we could add to SOI, SOE, Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience, and The Fly as titles U2 has stolen from Blake.

Ok, but wouldn't the whole youth/living in Dublin/leaving Dublin/growing up theme be the perfect environment for the song? When I first heard about the album concept in a Bono interview some time ago it was clear to me that Invisible fitted into that. Besides, it was supposed to be a first glimpse into the album, and now it's nowhere to be seen and heard. Interesting choice.

Yep, definitely agree - it would have been interesting to hear the alternative version of Invisible on the album. I can only assume it didn't appear was because it either got abandoned or could be on the next album.

I think the song fits there, but the mixing and recording is so different, on good headphones it is sonically jarring. I don't think a different mix would help, it's probably need to be re recorded.

I think the song fits there, but the mixing and recording is so different, on good headphones it is sonically jarring. I don't think a different mix would help, it's probably need to be re recorded.

I tend to agree with this...I was a little surprised to hear some people say it fit sonically, because to my ears it sounds very different than anything else on the record. Thematically, yes, it absolutely fits (though perhaps moreso for SOE).

As you said, maybe if they were to re-record it, or they have an entirely different version sitting somewhere, it would be a better sonic fit. And it would not surprise me if they did have another version. After all, the song was released as one off and the RED version would not have been produced to fit as part of a larger collection of songs.

Ideally? Sure. But it's close enough for rock n roll!

I have a strong feeling that U2 reworked the entire album sonically after 'Invisible' failed to make an impact, which is why it took much longer than expected. The electronic style drums, for example, aren't as prominent throughout Songs of Innocence as we had been led to believe during earlier interviews prior to 'Invisible' being released. The Danger Mouse production (prior to 'Invisible') was said to be very Kraftwerk and new wave, with more an electronica sound (ala 'Invisible). This element seems to have shifted with the delays. Instead, we have a much more murky, almost muddy synth production now, rather than the clean, almost pristine sound of 'Ordinary Love' and 'Invisible'. It will be interesting to get a behind the scenes look at the making of this album one day, and see if there was indeed a shift.

I have a strong feeling that U2 reworked the entire album sonically after 'invisible' failed to make an impact, which is why it took much longer than expected. The electronic style drums, for example, aren't as prominent throughout Songs of Innocence as we had been led to believe during earlier interviews prior to 'Invisible' being released. The Danger Mouse production (prior to 'Invisible') was said to be very Kraftwerk and new wave, with more an electronica sound (ala 'Invisible). This element seems to have shifted with the delays.

Good observation, and I agree.

The kraut rock influence is present elsewhere on the record (Sleep Like a Baby) and Larry's sound on The Miracle instantly made me think of Invisible when they premiered it yesterday. It wouldn't be out of place sonically at all.

I have a strong feeling that U2 reworked the entire album sonically after 'Invisible' failed to make an impact, which is why it took much longer than expected.

Agreed, and I believe this record is likely the poorer for it.

The kraut rock influence is present elsewhere on the record (Sleep Like a Baby) and Larry's sound on The Miracle instantly made me think of Invisible when they premiered it yesterday. It wouldn't be out of place sonically at all.

Yeah.

If it's somewhat out of place, it's because it fits more with the more Danger Mouse-controlled stuff on the second half than the Tedder/Epworth stuff. But it certainly fits on the album as a whole.

However, even with Tedder/Epworth's polish the instrumental opening of Every Breaking Wave does sound atmospheric to an extent, and I think it has more in common with Invisible than it does with The Miracle, at least until it bursts into a technicolor radio attack. But we're talking more about the transition from the end of one song to the beginning of the next, so I still think Invisible in the #2 slot works the best.

Back
Top Bottom