Interesting Hotpress editor comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miracle Drug is a beautiful song and I never skip it. It's one of the songs I find very moving. It's one of the most empathic songs Bono has ever written. There are some songs of that sort on Bomb. Thing is, I don't listen to U2 albums excessively, that's why I'm always excited to come back to their stuff and then I listen to all of it. I just think they couldn't ever pull off MD live, which is a shame, but it still had some very moving live moments.

i really think no line on the horizon will have ten times the substance bomb did. i really think this album will be the return of true u2. and i think it has to do with bono allowing himself the opportunity to get lost in the music with his band, something thats been missing since pop. Pop's weakness was the band's notion that they could do no wrong and the audience would slurp up anything, on top of their notion that they needed to stay at the cutting edge of the musical movement. Hold Me Thrill me probably didnt curb their arrogance much. i have a feeling after that Bono didnt see much more happening with U2 and chose to focus on his humanitarian movement. then by a stroke of luck they hit a vein with the audience by going back to their basics and over the following years Bono realized that there was still a pulse and decided it was worth the investment of time and effort again. Not really knocking Bono as the aid of millions is certainly a valid excuse.

I was skeptical of the new album because of boot's lyrics but the edge's quote put it into glorious perspective and now i see where they were coming from. i see the depth now. hopefully its a recurring theme (the depth)throughtout the album. Boot's message is such an original concept I wasnt even close to getting it. Who sings about handing the reigns over to women?

Miracle Drug is a beautiful song and I never skip it. It's one of the songs I find very moving. It's one of the most empathic songs Bono has ever written. There are some songs of that sort on Bomb. Thing is, I don't listen to U2 albums excessively, that's why I'm always excited to come back to their stuff and then I listen to all of it. I just think they couldn't ever pull off MD live, which is a shame, but it still had some very moving live moments.

Strangely enough I feel the exact opposite, Miracle Drug is my least favourite U2 song of all time, I really hate it, I always skip it but was most surprised that when I heard it live I was mildly impressed, which is a huge improvement.

whoever pointed out miricle drug sucking because of the lyrics hit the nail on the head, thats exactly why it sucks. its so cheesy the crust is stuffed

Sadly, yes. It has some of the cheesiest, most cliche'd lyrics you'll find outside of a Hallmark card:

:shame:

"the songs are in your eyes / I see them when you smile"

"I'm not giving up"

"do you feel anything at all"

"freedom has a scent / like the top of a newborn baby's head"

"there is no limit"

"there is no failure here sweetheart / just when you quit"

"I hear a voice / it's whispering..."

the newborn babys head part sounds so forced, its like he heard it somewhere and just had to fit it into a u2 song.

im not sure if you agree or not regarding that smiley

This sounds very interesting. I wish I cared about cohesiveness. I really don't. :happy:

Agreed. Cohesiveness is often an excuse to make the same sounds over and over again. Boring. Bring on the variety!

I'm so glad The Edge says "Get On Your Boots" is not representative of the album. Thank God....or U2 anyway.

..."'Get On Your Boots' is a great opening salvo from what is a brilliant album," Hot Press editor Niall Stokes commented. "No Line On The Horizon is a huge record, full of big songs, powerful riffs and superb musicianship. It's more musically diverse that any U2 album since Rattle And Hum, mixing hard rock, psychedelia, pop, electronica, dance, folk, country, spiritual music and orchestral shadings in what is a fantastically heady brew. It will certainly challenge U2 fans, but my guess is that they'll ultimately be inspired. It's going to be a massive record. I can't wait to hear the songs live."

Ireland leads the way with new U2 album

Powerful riffs, superb musicianship. :drool:

Lots of different music styles, hard rock, electronica, NLOTH sounds epic. :up:

Sadly, yes. It has some of the cheesiest, most cliche'd lyrics you'll find outside of a Hallmark card:

:shame:

"the songs are in your eyes / I see them when you smile"

"I'm not giving up"

"do you feel anything at all"

"freedom has a scent / like the top of a newborn baby's head"

"there is no limit"

"there is no failure here sweetheart / just when you quit"

"I hear a voice / it's whispering..."

None of these lyrics are "cheesy" to me. The first verse is my favourite one, it contains one of the most fitting expressions of empathy that I could imagine.

I don't care about cheesiness, U2 are beyone cheesiness.

And the new born baby head has been used in "Levitate" before. I'm sure it's a line Bono came up with and is in love with.

The problem with Miracle drop is the freedom line comes out of nowhere and Bono belts it out like it's the greatest thing ever

its a cool concept (baby's head) but the wording is lame.

something like
'theres nothing like being free and loud
smells and sounds like a newborn's crown'

i dont know, he couldve gone anywhere with that lyric.

i guess the crown of ones head doesnt necessarily make a sound, more like the face but whatever

then again, an actual royal crown would if it fell or something

the newborn babys head part sounds so forced, its like he heard it somewhere and just had to fit it into a u2 song.

im not sure if you agree or not regarding that smiley

:lol:

Bono loves that line, he also uses the line in Levitate. He must have smelled the top of a baby's head sometime in 2002-2003 and been intrigued. :lol:

How does a newborn baby's head smell good anyways? Is Bono smelling baby powder or infant shampoo? Shouldn't a newborn baby's head ... you know... smell a little icky?

What i dont get, is your obviously not going to like anything the band does this decade, so why do you still come here? can you not go and find a band you do enjoy?,

better yet, there are plenty of posters that aren't overly fond of U2's 00's output, but can discuss and contribute in a positive and constructive manner.

None of these lyrics are "cheesy" to me. The first verse is my favourite one, it contains one of the most fitting expressions of empathy that I could imagine.

I don't care about cheesiness, U2 are beyone cheesiness.

And the new born baby head has been used in "Levitate" before. I'm sure it's a line Bono came up with and is in love with.

Well, I'm genuinely glad that you and others enjoy the lyrics, and I'm sure Bono and the band like them. For me, they pale in comparison to a lot of Bono's other writing, and just seem trite.

It's interesting to me that as Bono ages, his lyrics have become more youthful. For example, some of his Joshua Tree lyrics sound as though they were written by a wise old wizard, passing along ancient knowledge, while his more recent lyrics are very in-the-moment, complete with contemporary slang, time-stamps, and nursery-rhyme couplets ("a mole! digging in a hole! digging up my soul!")

Personally, I prefer the wise-old, younger Bono :wink:

:no: :grumpy::shrug:

Don't believe the hype :down:

We get it, you don't like it. That's fine. What's not fine is your trollish ways of displaying that opinion.

As a reminder, here's a little snippet from our Policies and Rules:
If you are trolling the forums you may be banned.

Drop the trolling and learn how to discuss the subject rationally, or move on.

Well, I'm genuinely glad that you and others enjoy the lyrics, and I'm sure Bono and the band like them. For me, they pale in comparison to a lot of Bono's other writing, and just seem trite.

It's interesting to me that as Bono ages, his lyrics have become more youthful. For example, some of his Joshua Tree lyrics sound as though they were written by a wise old wizard, passing along ancient knowledge, while his more recent lyrics are very in-the-moment, complete with contemporary slang, time-stamps, and nursery-rhyme couplets ("a mole! digging in a hole! digging up my soul!")

Personally, I prefer the wise-old, younger Bono :wink:

man, exactly dude, exactly

I don't like the way this article reads. It starts off by validating GOYB as a "great opening salvo" and ultimately approves of it as a "intense electro grunge exercise". Clearly this is someone in U2's camp already. Also, has he or she been noticing the lack of reception it has been receiving stateside? So it's number 6 in the UK, of course it's going to be a requested song. Let's see what staying power it has after everyone's actually heard it.

He or she also seems to imply the rest of the songs are within the same vein. Not good...

More importantly, "It will certainly challenge U2 fans, but my guess is that they'll ultimately be inspired." This could mean, in reality a few different things:

1. The album is very different and is being praised more for U2 branching out than it's actual quality.

2. The album is very different and in a bad way!

3. I've heard "challenge" used on albums that are more challenging just to listen to b/c they are so bad. All too often a word like "challenge" is a cover-up for "the songs really aren't that great and none stand out."

One way or another, we'll find out in a month!

Back
Top Bottom