How Would You Feel If Eno and Lanois Played Live On The Road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they brought Lanois onstage they would have to make him shave that silly moustache he's been wearing lately.

I do think that the chemistry of just the four band members in the spotlight is part of what makes a U2 show what it is. So aside from all the logistics and scheduling issues, I don't see this happening.

Why not? They played on a lot of the album, they should be able to play on the tour.
'Sides, I remember someone saying that the sounds on the album couldn't be reproduced by just the four guys, and that they'd need either more musicians or pre-recorded music anyway.

Can't imagine them doing it. U2 probably made a conscious decision to never have extra people on stage and they'll probably stick with it.

And no way that Eno or Lanois would consider touring with U2 for an entire year.

But if they did, I'd welcome it.:hyper:

Can't imagine them doing it. U2 probably made a conscious decision to never have extra people on stage and they'll probably stick with it.

And no way that Eno or Lanois would consider touring with U2 for an entire year.

But if they did, I'd welcome it.:hyper:

I have to agree, but on your second point. I'm sure if they don't tour it's because Lanois and Eno are musicians and have their own things to do.

But, sharing writing credits in 7 out of the 11/12 songs on the new album means to me NLOTH is much they're work as U2's.

Probably the same thing happened with ATYCLB but U2 neglected to give them credit, and pissed of Eno in particular. It is infered in U2 By U2. Lanois has gone onstage a couple of times with them i think. Eno's only joined for miss sarajevo in 97, and the pavarotti concert.

So, maybe a couple of shows when their schedules allow it, it would be cool to see the six of them perform together.

Probably the same thing happened with ATYCLB but U2 neglected to give them credit, and pissed of Eno in particular. It is infered in U2 By U2.

I don't remember reading anything about Eno and Lanois specifically co-writing on ATYCLB. The band always said NLOTH was the first time that happened.

Not sure what Eno's problem was with ATYCLB but he got the same credit he gets on any other U2 album. Keyboards and production.

I'm certain they would never tour with U2, but I would gladly pay extra for tix if I knew they'd be on stage with U2 for the duration of the show. Daniel Lanois is frickin fantastic. :up:

Eno is not into touring at all... There was meant to be a Roxy Music reunion a couple of years ago including him, but apparently the others were insisting that he tour with them if he wanted to be involved... So he just pulled out completely...

Lanois's finest hour I thought was Achtung BaBy, still my favorite U2 CD. but I dont know why U2 felt they had to bring these back into the fold, I though they were doing just fine or better without them.

Lanois's finest hour I thought was Achtung BaBy, still my favorite U2 CD. but I dont know why U2 felt they had to bring these back into the fold, I though they were doing just fine or better without them.

Seriously now. C'mon. How do you figure that?

Considering Brian Eno wouldn't even tour for his OWN album with David Byrne (who took the stuff on the road himself), this isn't anywhere near a possibility.

But if the album is synth/organ/keyboard heavy, it would be a shame to lose those layers in concert, or have them all pre-recorded.

Bono might be doing a lot of guitar (or piano) playing this time around. :ohmy:

I could definitely see them making some special appearances on select dates. As it's been said, given their larger involvement this time around in the writing of the songs (though they've always been pretty involved in the songwriting of the U2 records they've produced) it would be cool to see them perform some of the new material together.

^ :lol: (cockplay)

If these guys did show up and play wouldn't we just have The Passengers? This will definitely NOT happen, McGuinne$$ would have to split even more of the proceeds.

... better than playing dead in the stadium, I guess. :doh:

Seriously, Lanois's gotten up and played with the band before. I saw him in Montreal, and I think it wouldn't distract from the show. Eno mainly just hunkers behind the keyboard. Danny's more animated, but he'd be playing more complimentary parts anyhow. I'm sure Edge would prefer him playing the guitar than Bono anyhow.

Still, this won't happen for a whole tour. Lanois's too busy with his own music and his other production deals, and I believe Eno's now working with Coldplay on their next album.

(As a funny aside, Eno wrote Coldplay to say that Vida was 'alright, but they could do better.' and asked that they start recording without Martin in the room for the first few weeks. )

I'd be all for it to make them official members of the band just to have them involved with every U2 album
but I don't see how it would add anything to the U2 live show
(even though I do think Lanois is a great force on stage)

actually I think it would be distracting

Go watch Lanois perform Orange Kay on Sessions at West 54th and you'll have your answer.
You can almost SEE the music.

... better than playing dead in the stadium, I guess. :doh:

Seriously, Lanois's gotten up and played with the band before. I saw him in Montreal, and I think it wouldn't distract from the show. Eno mainly just hunkers behind the keyboard. Danny's more animated, but he'd be playing more complimentary parts anyhow. I'm sure Edge would prefer him playing the guitar than Bono anyhow.

Still, this won't happen for a whole tour. Lanois's too busy with his own music and his other production deals, and I believe Eno's now working with Coldplay on their next album.

(As a funny aside, Eno wrote Coldplay to say that Vida was 'alright, but they could do better.' and asked that they start recording without Martin in the room for the first few weeks. )

Maybe they should try releasing albums without Martin???? :applaud::lol:

I'd actually like to hear some extra musicians come on stage with the band. Maybe that way they could play other songs that would sound too stripped down with just the four of them i.e. The Unforgettable Fire, All I Want Is You, Hold Me Thrill Me etc. It would be great to have a string section, Eno on keyboards, Lanois on guitar/pedal steel, maybe the odd brass player, but that might be going too far.

Actually how about U2 releasing an album like S&M that Metallica did several years ago. A one off concert where U2 release a live album playing with a full orchestra, maybe including Eno and Lanois and backing singers possibly. I think this would be incredible and tkae some songs to a different dimension.

would love to see them onstage playing the songs. particularly if it means not having the band playing to a load of pre-recorded stuff and one guy hidden under the stage..

Back
Top Bottom