How to deal with new album expectations - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,598
Local Time: 08:08 PM
How to deal with new album expectations

I'm personally going to listen to as much other music out there before the new U2 drops by. I find when I don't listen to U2 for a long time and then pick up ANY U2 album later on I realize why they are the best.

I think a lot of people on this board are going to be U2'd out when the new album comes out; maybe even before it comes out.

Certainly those people who like the unfinished versions of songs that leak out more than the album versions have some psychological games going on in their mind.

How are you people going to deal with the new album? Do you have expectations that you want met? Do you have no expectations?
__________________

__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,867
Local Time: 02:08 PM
i am going to flood myself with U2.

U2 can never disappoint me! I do have very high expectations for the new album, but I haven't disliked anything they've done yet (passengers doesn;t count) so I am confident of great things.

It will be better than Bomb or ATYCLB, and hopefully, some of the oldschool board members who whinge about them will like it. Personally, I feel if you don't like U2 albums, don't flood those who do with opinionated garbage. We don't care how much you pine for the old days!
__________________

__________________
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,598
Local Time: 08:08 PM
When I was listening to lots of Coldplay and Radiohead this past year I then popped in Achtung Baby and got an incredible thrill from it. It was like a new album. The ending of Mysterious Ways was like an adrenaline rush.

I'll listen to some Beck, classical music, Bryan Adams, Vampire Weekend, Duffy, and movie soundtracks. That will clear my pallette up for U2.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
Refugee
 
U2Fan101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,196
Local Time: 09:08 PM
I have gotten U2'd out many times before. But with the release of the last two albums, I listened to U2 nonstop 2-3 months before the release. I had a reason to be excited....THE NEW FUCKING ALBUM!
__________________
U2Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
LyricalDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA
Posts: 3,212
Local Time: 08:08 PM
We might as well start discussing a related topic, since there will soon be a million threads about this: will you remain "celibate" until the album is released in the shops, or will you download and listen to it beforehand, when it inevitably gets leaked to the internet?

Personally, I think downloading it as soon as it's leaked is just so
__________________
LyricalDrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 12,867
Local Time: 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalDrug View Post
We might as well start discussing a related topic, since there will soon be a million threads about this: will you remain "celibate" until the album is released in the shops, or will you download and listen to it beforehand, when it inevitably gets leaked to the internet?

Personally, I think downloading it as soon as it's leaked is just so
I have no problems with downloading it, as long as you buy it aswell. I downloaded the last one, and my family bought 4 copies! (One each between me and my brother, one for mum and dad, and i bought the box set as well).

My philosophy is that, while people stealing music is wrong, artists robbing us for garbage is also wrong.

I had no problems downloading the last Red Hot Chili peppers album, and then not paying for it. It was shit
__________________
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 10:08 PM
I try to avoid listening to U2 before any release of new material. They aren't the same band they used to be and they are way past their prime so hearing older stuff would create impossible expectations.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:48 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 04:08 AM
Advice for some people here:

Just stay calm, breathe in and breathe out, surround yourself with beautiful things, think positive, enjoy life .... everything will be okay.

Follow these instructions on a daily basis. If it doesn't work, go and seek professional help.
__________________
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I try to avoid listening to U2 before any release of new material. They aren't the same band they used to be and they are way past their prime so hearing older stuff would create impossible expectations.





Cause you didn't like the last 2 albums?

I don't want to take this off course too much, but just think about this....Bono is arguably in a high point of his career vocally (I'm sure this argument will be substantiated with the new record), Edge hasn't changed much, he's been on fire since day 1 basically....Larry is in a slight slump perhaps , but really hasn't changed much in the grand scheme of things, and Adam is more interested in the music than ever it appears....

Now, looking at that.....how can you possibly say "They aren't the same band they used to be and they are way past their prime" ??!! I mean, it frustrates me to see stuff like this....they are way past their prime? really? I personally think the Vertigo Tour fucking owned....and was up there with the greatest of U2 tours...and I wouldn't be surprised if the next one surpassed it....and U2's popularity worldwide continues to soar as they remain "the biggest band in the world"....I just don't get it....
__________________
Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:55 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post




Cause you didn't like the last 2 albums?

I don't want to take this off course too much, but just think about this....Bono is arguably in a high point of his career vocally (I'm sure this argument will be substantiated with the new record), Edge hasn't changed much, he's been on fire since day 1 basically....Larry is in a slight slump perhaps , but really hasn't changed much in the grand scheme of things, and Adam is more interested in the music than ever it appears....

Now, looking at that.....how can you possibly say "They aren't the same band they used to be and they are way past their prime" ??!! I mean, it frustrates me to see stuff like this....they are way past their prime? really? I personally think the Vertigo Tour fucking owned....and was up there with the greatest of U2 tours...and I wouldn't be surprised if the next one surpassed it....and U2's popularity worldwide continues to soar as they remain "the biggest band in the world"....I just don't get it....
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:11 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post




Cause you didn't like the last 2 albums?

I don't want to take this off course too much, but just think about this....Bono is arguably in a high point of his career vocally (I'm sure this argument will be substantiated with the new record), Edge hasn't changed much, he's been on fire since day 1 basically....Larry is in a slight slump perhaps , but really hasn't changed much in the grand scheme of things, and Adam is more interested in the music than ever it appears....

Now, looking at that.....how can you possibly say "They aren't the same band they used to be and they are way past their prime" ??!! I mean, it frustrates me to see stuff like this....they are way past their prime? really? I personally think the Vertigo Tour fucking owned....and was up there with the greatest of U2 tours...and I wouldn't be surprised if the next one surpassed it....and U2's popularity worldwide continues to soar as they remain "the biggest band in the world"....I just don't get it....
Actually, while I like Pop I find that post-Passengers material lacks the magic and songwriting quality of their previous albums. That said there are a lot of artists that have released one of thier best albums after their prime. Bono's lyrics and Edge's playing are not of the same quality they used to be. The same with Adam and Larry. How an artist is live has nothing to do with whether they are in their prime. There are artists out there that haven't released worthwhile records in years but are still great live.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,974
Local Time: 04:08 AM
Easy, this album is All that you can't leave behind part III remember ?
__________________
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #13
New Yorker
 
bram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,498
Local Time: 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Actually, while I like Pop I find that post-Passengers material lacks the magic and songwriting quality of their previous albums. That said there are a lot of artists that have released one of thier best albums after their prime. Bono's lyrics and Edge's playing are not of the same quality they used to be. The same with Adam and Larry. How an artist is live has nothing to do with whether they are in their prime. There are artists out there that haven't released worthwhile records in years but are still great live.
Interesting--what makes you think Edge's playing is lower quality now? I've never really seen this suggested (or even really thought about it) which is why I'm asking.
__________________
bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram View Post
Interesting--what makes you think Edge's playing is lower quality now? I've never really seen this suggested (or even really thought about it) which is why I'm asking.
It is pretty uninteresting these days. Edge at his best is a painter creating textures and soundscapes. Recently, it sounds like he is...holding back. He doesn't go for it like he used to. It is still Edge but it is not at all on the level of even Boy.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #15
New Yorker
 
bram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,498
Local Time: 11:08 PM
Yeah, that's fair. I think his style has definitely become more ordinary and boring, particularly on HTDAAB (ATYCLB definitely has some innovative and interesting bits). But I think that it probably boils down to which style you like more rather than any technical ability or even creativity. They wanted to write direct songs and the guitar backs that up. But I think he's still got it in him, and we will here it very soon. But I agree with you that Edge is best when he's painting textures and soundscapes--most notably on UF and JT (I think here he is at his most innovative, where he developed a sound that is uniquely his in the history of rock).
__________________

__________________
bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com