How is NLOTH doing in the mainstream? Is it a big album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's the U2 backlash. just like Rattle and Hum, just like Pop. There was really nothing U2 could do to "win" the huge critics over. The album is clearly better than Atomic Bomb, but Pitchfork and other places like metacritic are so tired of U2 that they'll slight U2 at any chance.

NLOTH is the biggest selling album of the year and my guess it'll probably stay that way.

Also, this is completely -well not completely but mostly- irrelevant, but, I used to work at American Eagle for 2.5 years so they'd play music videos that were popular or whatever as the soundtrack. For what it's worth, Lady Gaga "Just Dance" had that video out last spring, but that song didn't really catch on and go mega till this past fall. So there's no reason that Magnificent can't pick up steam down the line, especially as the tour begins, the video gets out there, and U2 are back in the news etc. Let's also remember that the tour is starting in Europe this time around and in the US that means we aren't really going to hear much about U2 until September.

oh, well maybe we should all shut down our laptops and go on vacation until september then (with our brand new A&E swim trunks) :sexywink:

on topic, i could honestly give a fuck if NLOTH is mainstream anymore. I wanted it to succeed, well it was number 1 and is the biggest selling album this year, but given that everything else on that list is shit (with a couple of exceptions) what does that even mean?

Nothing, other than the music industry sucks, its run by a bunch of fucking idiots, and stupid kids with no taste buy horrible music that fat balding old men promote to death. Why do we need these dirty old men deciding what is played on the radio anyway?

We should have our own mind, we should be able to decide what sounds good because we like it not because its played three times per hour on the shittiest radio station in the entire fucking universe! FUCK THE RADIO

FUCK RADIO
FUCK MAINSTREAM RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK IT ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my new car has XM, my other car has XM capability, or i could plug in an ipod. IM seriously not giving a fuck for any of them assholes. THey are NOT going to fucking decide what i listen to . I do not need to spend ONE MORE DAY listening to ALL AMERICAN REJECTS' 'GIVE YOU HELL' 15 fucking times! THEY CAN GO TO HELL themselves, and i dont even care that they are from my state, FUCK THEM. AND THAT GOES FOR all of these fucking American Idol winners too. Since when......tell me why does this country now have a REALITY TV show to decide who is going to be a pop star and get their shitty ass songs played 1 MILLION times a day? WHY? Reality tv SUCKS, (along with MTV, VH1, etc) WHY WHY WHY? How stupid are we as a nation to have let this happen to us? I blame our children, but i also blame the parents of these embicles.

FUCK Kelly Clarkson, Fuck David Cook the douche bag, FUCK Clay Aiken, Fuck all of those judges, Fuck Ryan Seacrest, Fuck .....the list goes on....fuck the morons who watch this show......FUCK the morons who go out and buy the idiots albums....fuck all of these radio stations that play them....fuck all of these station programmers who dont have the balls to play anything that is not on their STANDARD PLAYLIST....

AND FUCK THE FCC

:angry:

This album has been kind of bittersweet for me. I absolutely fucking adore it. I think that it is their best album in ages. I think that they deserve to make huge amounts of money from it. I think that the masses should hear it, I think it could be good for music, hell, I think it could be good for culture as a whole. U2 are intentionally standing out from most music. They want to be heard and they want to be popular but they're do it by not conforming, but by making really amazing music with a very 2000s flare (instead of hiding in another decade, or capitalizing on a late-90s-based highly electronic "experimental" sound that they use record after record), and leading rather than following. I would have loved to see the look on Chris Martin's face when he heard this album.

At the same time, though, I think that this album is so special that it would almost be degrading to hear songs (especially in single edits) from it on the radio, mixed in with all the other crap there.

Also, mainstream radio has always been terrible. I'm not sure why people are so nostalgic for mainstream radio of this past. But that's coming from someone who doesn't think that the Beatles are anything special, so don't take me too seriously, I guess.

This album has been kind of bittersweet for me. I absolutely fucking adore it. I think that it is their best album in ages. I think that they deserve to make huge amounts of money from it. I think that the masses should hear it, I think it could be good for music, hell, I think it could be good for culture as a whole. U2 are intentionally standing out from most music. They want to be heard and they want to be popular but they're do it by not conforming, but by making really amazing music with a very 2000s flare (instead of hiding in another decade, or capitalizing on a late-90s-based highly electronic "experimental" sound that they use record after record), and leading rather than following. I would have loved to see the look on Chris Martin's face when he heard this album.

At the same time, though, I think that this album is so special that it would almost be degrading to hear songs (especially in single edits) from it on the radio, mixed in with all the other crap there.

Also, mainstream radio has always been terrible. I'm not sure why people are so nostalgic for mainstream radio of this past. But that's coming from someone who doesn't think that the Beatles are anything special, so don't take me too seriously, I guess.

i agree with you except on the last part. To say that mainstream radio has always been terrible...i cannot agree with that at all. Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby were all over mainstream radio back in their day...but thats just a drop in the bucket. If you listen to XM's First Wave for any length of time you will hear a lot of the following: U2, Morrissey, Depeche Mode, New Order, OMD, REM, INXS, Pet Shop Boys, Echo & the Bunneymen, David Bowie, The Cure, Erasure, Tears for Fears, and many many more that i cannot even think of right now. All of which were big on mainstream radio when i was growing up. And most of it is GREAT! You can't tell me that anything on the radio today can hold a candle to this great stuff. I realize that taste is subjective...but back then we did not have Ipods, XM, etc. Back then MTV & VH1 played music videos, and they didn't suck. Back then the Top 40 had some pretty decent songs, unlike now.

The difference is, there is good music now being put out by new artists, it's just not played on mainstream radio. You can hear it on college stations, if you are lucky enough to get one of those dialed in, and you can sure hear it on XM stations like ALT NATION, but its nowhere to be found on most of these nationwide monoply mainstream behemoths like we have now. Which is sad because these mainstream stations that suck so bad now used to play good shit when i was a kid.

I didn't think it would sell well. Stands to reason, EASILY their best album since Pop and its selling like Pop as well.

Exactly right!

People like shit.

NLOTH is actually brilliant.

Hence NLOTH flops.

People = Shit.

Mrs. Garrison :up::up:

exactly.i guess i'm not sure what some of you people want. would you feel better if "The Hills" changed their theme song to "Crazy Tonight"? would you like to hear "Breathe" while watching "My Super Sweet 16"?
i don't get it. the album is great. it's selling well. the reviews have been mostly positive. and i find the fact that the mainstream (16 year olds) aren't jumping all over it to be a positive.

:applaud::up::applaud::up:

Does anyone else get the impression this time around that U2 does not really care about album sales and #1 singles? I mean, yeah they care but not in the same way as the ATYCLB/HTDAAB – Biggest Band In The World approach… It's kind of refreshing actually...

:up::up:

on topic, i could honestly give a fuck if NLOTH is mainstream anymore. I wanted it to succeed, well it was number 1 and is the biggest selling album this year, but given that everything else on that list is shit (with a couple of exceptions) what does that even mean?

Nothing, other than the music industry sucks, its run by a bunch of fucking idiots, and stupid kids with no taste buy horrible music that fat balding old men promote to death. Why do we need these dirty old men deciding what is played on the radio anyway?

We should have our own mind, we should be able to decide what sounds good because we like it not because its played three times per hour on the shittiest radio station in the entire fucking universe! FUCK THE RADIO

FUCK RADIO

my new car has XM, my other car has XM capability, or i could plug in an ipod. IM seriously not giving a fuck for any of them assholes. THey are NOT going to fucking decide what i listen to . I do not need to spend ONE MORE DAY listening to ALL AMERICAN REJECTS' 'GIVE YOU HELL' 15 fucking times! THEY CAN GO TO HELL themselves, and i dont even care that they are from my state, FUCK THEM. AND THAT GOES FOR all of these fucking American Idol winners too. Since when......tell me why does this country now have a REALITY TV show to decide who is going to be a pop star and get their shitty ass songs played 1 MILLION times a day? WHY? Reality tv SUCKS, (along with MTV, VH1, etc) WHY WHY WHY? How stupid are we as a nation to have let this happen to us? I blame our children, but i also blame the parents of these embicles.

FUCK Kelly Clarkson, Fuck David Cook the douche bag, FUCK Clay Aiken, Fuck all of those judges, Fuck Ryan Seacrest, Fuck .....the list goes on....fuck the morons who watch this show......FUCK the morons who go out and buy the idiots albums....fuck all of these radio stations that play them....fuck all of these station programmers who dont have the balls to play anything that is not on their STANDARD PLAYLIST....

AND FUCK THE FCC

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Comparing NLOTH to POP based on sales is superficial. POP selling its 1-2 million (USA) back in 1997 is considered a flop by U2 standards. NLOTH selling even 500K (USA) in 2009 is a success in todays age of musical access.

FUCK RADIO

AND FUCK THE FCC

/thread.

Best post of the year. You put into words what I've been feeling for a long time. Thank you.

Mrs. Garrison they have a new American Idol at Disney World.....I guess you'll be sitting that one out? :|

Awesome post!!

I am afraid you Americans won't like this but Kings Of Leon are by far the biggest band in England at the moment. I dont think Fly By Night has been out of the top 5 albums charts since it's release last year

it's the best selling album of 2009 so far- yeah it's sales are down but that's a universal problem for all bands- I guess Green Day will be an interesting comparison...but as long as I like it I don't care how well it sells

it may not be as mainstream as AB and ATYCLB but aside from Magnificent it has nothing remotely commercial as BD ot E or WO on it

I am currently maintaining a personal boycott of any album or song performed by anyone who was ever a contestant on American Idol. Although, honestly, it doesn't take too much will power. It's sort of like boycotting non-alcoholic beer.

Anywho, I think the "mainstream" is just really fragmented these days. There's such a variety of musical genres now that no band is going to be all things to all people.

Except Coldplay, of course. :wink:

So U2 is selling well in the USA? When I say Beyonce big, I've noticed that she has a load of singles and a "definitive" or mega-hit song in that Single Ladies. Like she seems to have buzz over the past year kind of Buzz. Sort of like U2 and Vertigo. I was wondering is U2 on its way to that kind of bigness?

Who's Beyonce? :huh:

All that matters to me is that the album sounds great to my ears and that they are stepping back into a more creative direction. So I don't really mind how it's going in the charts, i'd definitely prefer something as good as this that flopped over something in the vein of the Bomb that was more commercially successful and more mainstream.

what I don't get is that if we all agree that what can be considered the mainstream at the moment is utter shite why we wouldn't want that to change

though it wouldn't really matter at all to me personally it would still make more sense to want the mainstream to change for the better than to curse the mainstream and rejoice in a great album that deserves to be heard to not make much (if any) impact on it
:shrug:

Can't say that NLOTH has much presence in the mainstream around here; no radioplay, no buzz. I know plenty of people who like U2 but have no interest in the new album, mostly because they heard Boots and decided that U2 "lost it".

I wouldn't call it refreshing; if anything it seems to indicate that U2 may have finally reached that inevitable plateau where the public still loves your older stuff but largely ignores the new stuff.

The funny thing is the KOL album is so influenced by U2's sound of a few years back i'm sure Bono could sue!! Amazing as it has sold 7 times the amount as NLOTH

Can't say that NLOTH has much presence in the mainstream around here; no radioplay, no buzz. I know plenty of people who like U2 but have no interest in the new album, mostly because they heard Boots and decided that U2 "lost it".

I wouldn't call it refreshing; if anything it seems to indicate that U2 may have finally reached that inevitable plateau where the public still loves your older stuff but largely ignores the new stuff.

I think this is the fate that everybody is trying to deny, but I do believe U2 have ultimately reached this. The only thing that remains to be seen is how
U2 react to this happening. I imagine 2 scenarios:

1. Since they are no longer mainstream, they take this opportunity to make the albums they want to make, since they don't have to worry about hit singles. Maybe they already realized this with NLOTH?

2. They will no longer give a shit about their new albums (Rolling Stones), and just churn something out before each tour to give them an excuse to stage yet another top grossing tour.

But I'm curious as to how having the biggest selling album is ignoring the new stuff?

I could care less about sales, but it seems like the only way to really judge "the mainstream". You say they aren't getting any radioplay, but where do you live? Do you live in a market that would normally play new rock music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom