How does NLOTH compare with Viva La Vida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

walkon274

The Fly
For all the folks who have heard NLOTH, how does it compare to Viva La Vida? A ton of the reviews I've read seem to bring up Coldplay, either hinting that they've passed up U2 or are very close to passing them based on how NLOTH does.

IMHO, I'd give Viva La Vida a 6.5/7 out of 10. There are a ton of "good" songs on the album, but none of them make my spine tingle or do anything other-wordly for me. I have not heard anything other than "Get on your boots" so I cannot compare. However, I'd like to hear what people have to say.

So, what are your objective thoughts?

it was only a matter of time...... :wink:

"Lost" is the only song that really makes my spine tingle. otherwise, it's just a good U2 genre album.

Well, seeing as Brian Eno keeps all his best loops for his new pet band Coldplay, there really isn't a comparison.
:up:

it was only a matter of time...... :wink:

"Lost" is the only song that really makes my spine tingle. otherwise, it's just a good U2 genre album.

"Lost" is decent, as is "Chinese sleep chant". I'm hoping when I hear NLOTH that it just blows me out of the water.

For all the folks who have heard NLOTH, how does it compare to Viva La Vida? A ton of the reviews I've read seem to bring up Coldplay, either hinting that they've passed up U2 or are very close to passing them based on how NLOTH does.

IMHO, I'd give Viva La Vida a 6.5/7 out of 10. There are a ton of "good" songs on the album, but none of them make my spine tingle or do anything other-wordly for me. I have not heard anything other than "Get on your boots" so I cannot compare. However, I'd like to hear what people have to say.

So, what are your objective thoughts?

really? I haven't been reading many reviews recently so I wouldn't know, but that is pretty ridiculous.

How about we compare them track by track. :hmm:

This should give us an accurate answer. :nerd:

NLOTH makes VLV look like a training bra.

Hahaha. Now that's what I want to hear. I like Coldplay as I think they're a proper band, but they are not U2. I want to see NLOTH just blow up Martin's parade.

I also haven't heard NLOTH although I did actually love Viva La Vida and thought it was one of the top 3 or 4 albums I heard last year.

I LOVE "Strawberry Swing". Might be my favorite song released year.

I'll let you know what I think when I've had time for NLOTH to sink in ;)

I thought VLV was a great album for coldplay, probably the best album I heard last year, and a step in the right direction for them, but NLOTH is on a different scale, far better in every sense. When U2 are at the top of their game, coldplay doesn't compare. Maybe bands like coldplay being so successful actually help U2 to be at the top of their game however (for example, see what happens when no solid albums are around, HTDAAB occurs)

Hahaha. Now that's what I want to hear. I like Coldplay as I think they're a proper band, but they are not U2. I want to see NLOTH just blow up Martin's parade.

i like coldplay too, that's the thing. NLOTH is THAT good.

Viva La Vida would probably be superior...if it weren't for Chris Martin. As it is, yeah, NLOTH is preferable to me. I don't think it's on an entirely different plane or anything; I'm fond of both.

I like music...

No really, in general, the previous statement is true.

I really like it.

Although in saying that, due to market fragmentation and a supreme variety of genres, I simple cannot comprehend this thread.

I like music...

The discus, less so.

Viva La Vida would probably be superior...if it weren't for Chris Martin. As it is, yeah, NLOTH is preferable to me. I don't think it's on an entirely different plane or anything; I'm fond of both.

Agree. There are songs I like and dislike on both, with NLOTH coming out on top by just a few tracks.

I've tried to listen to Coldplay and I like the songs fine when I am listening to them but I can't for the life of me remember any of them when they are done. I just recently got to the point where I will actually realize when Clocks is playing on he radio before the very end of the song. Funnily enough this week Viva la Vida actually caught my attention and I was thinking this is a pretty good song. Unfortunately for Coldplay this was during American Idol when one of the contestants sang the song. LOL!!!

Dana

Careful, the same thing is said about Bono/U2.
But I know what you mean. :wink:

I've tried to listen to Coldplay and I like the songs fine when I am listening to them but I can't for the life of me remember any of them when they are done.

I really think Parachutes is a great album. Lost and Lovers in Japan is quite good also. I want Coldplay to succeed. I wish them much success.
Chris Martin will find his own persona soon enough.:up:
I don't compare them to U2, because there is no compairson period.

I like NLOTH more, because things happen in it.

"Lost" has to be the most puerile and middle-of-the-road ballad I've heard in years.

I for one really like Lost, lyrically it's really catchy and ok.
I never expect anyone to be U2. :wink:
So I have no problem with other artist making it big.

I loved Viva La Vida, but it felt a bit repetitive in parts. I prefer NLOTH by quite a bit.

Lost is one of the songs I just dont' like on VLV. It's just boring.

Back
Top Bottom