How does NLOTH compare with Viva La Vida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. What a thread title! How does a fresh rose compare to the shit that was its mulch (I think Bono has a line about roses and shit on this record).

I had a fair weather fandom with Coldplay that almost got crazy on X&Y and its tour. But that new record -- what a waste of the word VIVA, of Eno's talents, of my time, of $15.

Just mentioning the word COMPARE in the same sentence of that album and NLOTH --wow what a linguistic stretch..

I have been meaning to post about how much Chris Martin and co disappointed me for a long time, but it took this thread to get me to say it.

Too bad, cause U2 deserves the competition. At least In Rainbows was the best..... and of course American bands like TVOTR and MMJ are like worth 100 Coldplays at this point.

I am a fan of Viva La Vida. I think it is Coldplay's best album. Eno definitely had a major influence on the record. My favorite tracks: Life in Technicolor, Lovers in Japan, 42, Yes/Chinese Sleep Chant, Death and All His Friends. I really prefer the piano version of Lost to the album version. The song Viva La Viva is very good but I don't think it is one of the best tracks on the album.

Being a U2 fan for many many years I do prefer No Line On the Horizon to VLV but VLV is still very good.

I had a fair weather fandom with Coldplay that almost got crazy on X&Y and its tour. But that new record -- what a waste of the word VIVA, of Eno's talents, of my time, of $15.

:doh: Really?

What is it with U2 fans that "just can't like Coldplay?" I adore Coldplay, and Viva La Vida kept me going until NLOTH came out. Why must we compare them...they are different, but cut from the same fabric. The great bands have two things in common - they sound completely unique, and their sound is timeless. I think both accomplish that.

Now...let's give Coldplay ten more years before we even try to compare them to U2. The comparison is totally unfair this early. U2 is running circles around Coldplay right now, and even Chris Martin said they were only substitute teaching until U2 returns in March.

As for Viva La Vida...I actually think Prospekt's March is just as good. The song "Glass of Water" is AMAZING! It's no "Magnificent," but it's damn good.:applaud:

Sorry gang. I mean no harm to those that like VLV or dislike X&Y.

I loved X&Y and the shows I saw on that tour. I remember defending Coldplay on these boards in 05 and 06 when there was so much X&Y bashing going on. Oh well!!!

I cannot make it through one listen to VLV, although I tried several times.

My momma always taught me (there is a latin phrase to go with this), 'in matters of taste, there is no dispute.'

I like Coldplay but they're nowhere near U2's league. Their music is still far too timid, polite and cautious, even with their new fancier bells and whistles.

Yep.

Coldplay couldn't write a rock song to save their life.

I do enjoy some Coldplay. Viva La Vida and X&Y were pretty mediocre for the most part, but A Rush of Blood is quite a good album. However, thus far Coldplay has given me absolutely no evidence that they could write a song with attitude like Breathe or a riff-rocker like Get On Your Boots. U2 isn't a hard rock band, but they are a rock band. i have trouble calling Coldplay the same. They just don't have the range that U2 does.

I like Coldplay. I always play the first 2 albums start to finish, no skipping. Starting with XY, I became a skipper. Viva La Vida, I just could never get into. Someday soon I'll give it another go, hopefully the next one is more interesting.

So for me personally, it's no contest, NLOTH is better than VLV.

VLV is Coldplay's most consistent album and there isn't really a single weak track.

However, there aren't any strong ones either (aside from the opening instrumental) and that in turn makes it a very forgettable record and Coldplay's worst album.

After buying VLV, I hated it after the first few times I listened to it. But then I went away from it for a while and forced myself to listen to it some more, and I can acutally say that I do like a lot of it now. That being said, to me, it doesn't come near the sound and variation of NLOTH--and that's only after the first week of listening. So to sum it up, to me, NLOTH smokes VLV!

I like Coldplay but they're nowhere near U2's league. Their music is still far too timid, polite and cautious, even with their new fancier bells and whistles.

I agree, I like Coldplay's sound and all, they have made some great tunes over the years (Yellow, Clocks, The Scientist, Talk, Lovers In Japan etc.) but they lack the adventurous spirit and passion of U2.

Yep.

Coldplay couldn't write a rock song to save their life.

I do enjoy some Coldplay. Viva La Vida and X&Y were pretty mediocre for the most part, but A Rush of Blood is quite a good album. However, thus far Coldplay has given me absolutely no evidence that they could write a song with attitude like Breathe or a riff-rocker like Get On Your Boots. U2 isn't a hard rock band, but they are a rock band. i have trouble calling Coldplay the same. They just don't have the range that U2 does.

Coldplay are more of a piano rock band, and I would have to agree that they can't write and perform an amazing rocker ala The Fly, Electric Co., Until The End Of The World.

No Line On The Horizon, too early to call, but I'd be rating it between 9 and 10.

VLVODAAHF is a triumph, a brilliantly cohesive work featuring Coldplay's greatest song, Lost!, one of the songs of the decade. 9.3

VLV Gets ruined by the whiney vocals of mr Wa.. I mean Chris Martin.

And VLV itself got played WAY too much here, I'm really sick of it now.

NLOTH, sofar, I really like and it connects to me in a way Cp will NEVER do.
It won't be as mainstream, but still, for me, it's way better.

I think VLV had better production and was a bigger step forward for Coldplay than NLOTH was for U2.

The songs I like on VLV are fully realised and their execution couldn't be improved.
I wish I could say the same for some songs on NLOTH.

But of course U2 songs aspire to more.

Production:VLV
Songs in therms of songwriting:tie
Vocals:NLOTH
Lyrics:VLV
Guitar: Tie
Bass:NLOTH
Drums: Tie
Songs that will be rememberred and adored:VLV
First single of the record:VLV
Overal mood and consistency:VLV
"winner": Viva la Vida but by a inch only. That says a lot about NLOTH

opinion may change in the future.
:up:

album that might be my most favourite ever - NLOTH
album I can't listen to because the band bores me to tears after 2 songs - VLV

Coldplay are more of a piano rock band, and I would have to agree that they can't write and perform an amazing rocker ala The Fly, Electric Co., Until The End Of The World.

The rockiest song I think they have is One I Love - which I really like - I think its a B-side but its quality on the Live 2003 album.

Production:VLV
Songs in therms of songwriting:tie
Vocals:NLOTH
Lyrics:VLV
Guitar: Tie
Bass:NLOTH
Drums: Tie
Songs that will be rememberred and adored:VLV
First single of the record:VLV
Overal mood and consistency:VLV
"winner": Viva la Vida but by a inch only. That says a lot about NLOTH

opinion may change in the future.
:up:

Songs/Lyrics? Bono would have gotten slaughtered for writing half the stuff that coldplay wrote on Viva. IMO what sets a bono lyric apart from most is you actually believe he has experienced what he is writing about. Chris Martin (I do like Coldplay's sound) seems like he wants to write a song that sounds like something or someone else. The lyrics seems empty but the sound is good

Coldplay has to be compared with The Killers or Arcade Fire. U2 is in another league. Maybe with Bomb U2 lowered the game a bit , but No Line is 1000 times more interesting than Coldplay. Listen to Breathe or Stand up Comedy, Coldplay doesn't have anything as feversih or rocking. And with the more melodic songs, U2 beats them to the ground for the simple fact that Coldplay tires the listener after a while. U2 doesn't.
To me only the two first Coldplay albums are that interesting and have that enduring thing. X & Y and VLV become too boring after some time.

Coldplay has to be compared with The Killers or Arcade Fire. U2 is in another league. Maybe with Bomb U2 lowered the game a bit , but No Line is 1000 times more interesting than Coldplay. Listen to Breathe or Stand up Comedy, Coldplay doesn't have anything as feversih or rocking. And with the more melodic songs, U2 beats them to the ground for the simple fact that Coldplay tires the listener after a while. U2 doesn't.
To me only the two first Coldplay albums are that interesting and have that enduring thing. X & Y and VLV become too boring after some time.

Sorry there, but Arcade Fire are in a whole different artistic league than Coldplay.

In addition, I don't get the comparison...

Back
Top Bottom