Here comes the press rollout...Time magazine cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL at Adam's open dressing gown in the morning. Bono: "My daughter is still traumatized." :lol: Good to see some things haven't changed. good ol' Adam.

They need to let Adam play guitar on some studio albums. I am watching U2 in Paris 1987 and during 40 he brought some beautiful dissonance during 40.

I love what Bono says about re-writing Iris. It's quite touching.

Bono rewrote the lyrics of "Iris," an intimate song about his late mother, after being deeply moved by the late ISIS hostage James Foley's letter to his family.

"I realized," Bono says, "that we will all be remembered, and we remember our loved ones, by the least profound moments. The simplest moments. In the letter he says to his brother, 'I remember playing werewolf in the dark with you.' If I make a swift exit, stage left, my family and friends will not be thinking about debt cancelation or, you know, fighting for HIV/AIDS medication, or U2 being on the cover of Rolling Stone, or 50 million people listening to Songs of Innocence. They might remember some stupid face I made at breakfast."

Interesting to get confirmation the album was indeed getting mixed last year in New York as reported (when all that MANhattan bullshit was going around).
So the album was good to go over a year ago, and then probably again in about January this year before second guessing.

But what would be the third alternative - releasing new music but not really giving a shit about how it does and how it's received? What's the point?

Simply releasing what they want to release is opposed to what the feel they need to release.

I agree with you, in the sense that I would like them to just release what they want to release, and just stop giving a shit about being #1 biggest bestest most awesome thing ever. We could see some really interesting shit.

But, to what you just said, release what they want to release - what they want to release is the best thing ever. And if you believe Bono, it's what they've always wanted like you said.

I'm perfectly happy with Songs of Innocence, so if this mindset gets us albums like it, I'm pleased.

I know it frustrates us fans, but I actually appreciate the fact that they will literally dissect songs their working on, build them up and tear them down again, no matter how long it takes, as long as the end result is something they feel good about. Reading the new Rolling Stone article Larry summed it up best, yes they could churn out album they don't really care about and then just tour off the hits alone and then rake in the cash.. Like a lot of other elder statesmen of "rock" do. But instead they'll put as much focus on a new album as if it is their debut album.

Simply releasing what they want to release is opposed to what the feel they need to release.

Which would be what? If they keep wanting to work songs until they're happy with them, that'd sounds like what they want to do (as opposed to what we want and so on).

It's an honest question, btw. Outside of Passengers maybe, I'm not sure if they've ever really done things different than that in quite a long time.

Went looking for the new Rolling Stone issue today, didn't find it, but I picked up the U2 Spin Collectors Edition and when I checked out the lady that helped me said "oh U2, I have their album in my phone". This release was a bonanza and pure genius. Haven't had a U2 conversation with a random person in forever so they successfully got themselves back in the mainstream to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom