For Your Love = New take of an old song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Edge89

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I was listening to the fourth disc of the Salome Outtakes (or the Hansa Ton Outtakes if there's a diffrerence.)
when it suddenly dawned on me that the track that I listened to, Back Mask U2/Sick For Love (Woman) could be one of the Fez songs.
I can't belive it took me this long to see the connection.

About two months ago an article in french said that U2 were working on ten songs in Fez of which two were called One Bird and For Your Love.
(Source: http://www.telquel-online.com/277/arts1_277.shtml)

A fan who visited Eze last year and later posted here said that he/she heard a song that reminded him/her about the old outtake song as well.
The person tired to get the song on tape, but said unfortunately nothing was heard but the sound of waves.
If you're reading this please confirm that there's noting wrong with my memory!

A couple of weeks ago we got another Eze report stating: "We heard soft ballads with dancing rythm" and "No big guitars". I agree there might be a difference between "soft ballads with dancing rythm" and only "soft ballads" but interesting never the less. Also the sound of the old outtake is a bit ambient, although I admit that I haven't listen that much to Brian's solo work to be entirely sure of that.

Didn't Bono mention in the interview with Jo Whiley last Christmas that he wanted a more stipped down sound, with more space around the vocals? This would be the perfect song for him to do such a thing.

In another take of the song however, someone other than Bono is singing and I suspect that it might be Lanois, it does sound like him.
Lanois might've recorded it for his movie himself, with U2 and Brian as a backing band and sure, some of the lyrics in the outtake were used in So Cruel and some in Ultra Violet.
Actually I would say that the last seconds of his second trailer reminds me of this song, but maybe that's just the sound of something being played backwards that tricks me.

Interesting that they abandoned Rubin after a couple of months and started working with Eno/Lanois again, I'm thinking maybe they have a better insight of what is going on in the old tapes. But wouldn't it be unlikely though to bring back a song(s) that is more than 15 years old? Have they ever done that before?
U2 says they want to try new ways, and I interpret that as another reinvention.
Achtung Baby was the start of their latest reinvention before going back to the "classic" U2 sound we've heard on the last two albums.

"It's a U2 project" and "It feels like this is seperate material", Edge has said.
Your thoughts?

Here are the "lyrics" to the outtake with some help from the "The Achtung Baby Working Tapes Compendium" by Sira Vista:

When the night turns mean on you,
And the day is dry,
And there's no water around,
And you can't see the road ahead,
You can only see her

White and alive.
She's laughing in the face of love.
Your love is white and alive.
This is your last chance in my dreams.
In my dreams she stands over me.
Surrounded on all sides,
She has taken the higher ground.
And I'm the willing victim of her love.
And faith my favorite drug,
I'm sick for love.
Sick for her/your love.
Sick foods you sell.
Just the sight of you makes me wobble.
I can't see straight, walk or talk to anyone else.
I can't even talk to you.
White and alive.
I'm laughing in the face of your face.
White and alive.
Sick for love.
Sick for love.
So, between the horses of love and lust
I'm trampled underfoot.

You're so ?? to your soul
drowining drunk on your love
And for a while you make me dizzy
And every beat of your heart
like the flapping wings of an angel
your heart beats
your heart beats
So long
So long
So long
so that was the pain?
mhm
So that was goodbye
mhm
And beauty makes us blind
mhm
(Bonogolease)

??? on the sunrise
And there she was
to high anymore
Your dark and cluttered heart.
And there's a quietness
That comes to this house
Where nobody can sleep.
She looks at her man
like he was a child
Waiting for the wave
(fade out)

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Sick for love was an early version of Love is blindness ?

U2girl said:
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Sick for love was an early version of Love is blindness ?

I think it was an early version of So Cruel, actually. I could be wrong, haven't listened to it in a while.

it has the vibe of So Cruel, at the end of one of the takes you can clearly hear "So, between the horses of love and lust
I'm trampled underfoot"

Swan269 said:
it has the vibe of So Cruel, at the end of one of the takes you can clearly hear "So, between the horses of love and lust
I'm trampled underfoot"

Yeah, clearly it's an early version of So Cruel.
I thought this one was fairly obvious with that lyric thrown in there. I think it's most noticable in the bridge "she wears my love like a see-through dress" It may even be the exact same chords or at least same chord progressions, not sure about that.

There are also some reversed (or backmasked) samples/beats in So Cruel. The wobbly sound.

Yes, that was was me who posted this...

The track (or better: more or less steerless chords) sounded very dark and the only thing I could make of it were like droning low tones like soring bass tones blending with continuous low guitar notes. Together they created some kind of chords...

Like I said in my original post: there was no logic in the "follow-up structure" of the chords and therefore it reminded me the most of the "Sick For Love" track on the Axtung Beibi Outtakes.

By the way: 14 days ago, me and my wife were in the south of France again (our favourite holiday-country for more than 12 years by now..)
And on wednesday 1 of august we spent the whole day on the beach of Eze sur Mer..!

First of, we didn't expect to see anyone of the band because of their recording sessions in Marocco. But there was some activity...
First of we saw some children playing with "water-blasters", a little later Ali, and later on, the sun already began to go down, we saw Bono!

We were of course pleasantly surprised and my heart jumped a few times extra!
He was wearing just a short trouser and a t-shirt walking from the big yellow house to the red one! His hair was short (he's wearing it like this for a while now of course) and it looked like it wasn't coloured.. more like his own colour (a little "red-ish") And he was NOT wearing any sunglasses!
I must say, we didn't expext him to be in France at all, because of the recording sessions. But maybe due to the holiday of the kids, I can image they took a little break...

No sign of Edge or anyone else of the band though...

Anyway, this day we were in Eze we didn't (unfortunately!) hear any music or new "evolving beachclips"... hopefully soon to come posted by someone else around here..?

I'm sure those Achtung outtakes are long forgotten by the band. The outtakes were in a rough, sometimes sad state -- so when they release things like Love You Like Mad and Flower Child as tracks that got lost along the way (What!? How could you LOSE those songs?!)

I'd imagine that stuff from 1990 that were sketches of songs are but a faded memory...

onyourkneesboy said:
Yes, that was was me who posted this...

The track (or better: more or less steerless chords) sounded very dark and the only thing I could make of it were like droning low tones like soring bass tones blending with continuous low guitar notes. Together they created some kind of chords...

Like I said in my original post: there was no logic in the "follow-up structure" of the chords and therefore it reminded me the most of the "Sick For Love" track on the Axtung Beibi Outtakes.

By the way: 14 days ago, me and my wife were in the south of France again (our favourite holiday-country for more than 12 years by now..)
And on wednesday 1 of august we spent the whole day on the beach of Eze sur Mer..!

First of, we didn't expect to see anyone of the band because of their recording sessions in Marocco. But there was some activity...
First of we saw some children playing with "water-blasters", a little later Ali, and later on, the sun already began to go down, we saw Bono!

We were of course pleasantly surprised and my heart jumped a few times extra!
He was wearing just a short trouser and a t-shirt walking from the big yellow house to the red one! His hair was short (he's wearing it like this for a while now of course) and it looked like it wasn't coloured.. more like his own colour (a little "red-ish") And he was NOT wearing any sunglasses!
I must say, we didn't expext him to be in France at all, because of the recording sessions. But maybe due to the holiday of the kids, I can image they took a little break...

No sign of Edge or anyone else of the band though...

Anyway, this day we were in Eze we didn't (unfortunately!) hear any music or new "evolving beachclips"... hopefully soon to come posted by someone else around here..?

Wow, that's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing!

Of course they were in Eze, Morrocco only lasted for about two or three weeks and was back in May.

They're back in Dublin now, I guess.

Rafiennes said:
I'm sure those Achtung outtakes are long forgotten by the band. The outtakes were in a rough, sometimes sad state -- so when they release things like Love You Like Mad and Flower Child as tracks that got lost along the way (What!? How could you LOSE those songs?!)

I'd imagine that stuff from 1990 that were sketches of songs are but a faded memory...

Not sure about that. U2 archives stuff they dont use all the time (IE guitar parts, drum lines, bass lines, lyrics etc.) and go back to it for ideas alot. One of the guitar parts for Kite is in there (forget which demo it was). But clearly they were still recycling stuff from back then into at least 2000 when they recorded ATYCLB. So I dont think anything fades completely for them.

i dug it up from the bowels of my computer for the first listen in over a year and i must say, though there are glimmerings of brilliance when you have heard Achtung Baby and can pick it out, this is justification to me for their taking their time and working on songs until they're happy with them.

if they'd released this as is was, as some people seem to think would be such a brilliant idea with the Fez material, we would not be happy with it. they're not perfect, but they definitely know what they're doing. (!!!)

dr. zooeuss said:
i dug it up from the bowels of my computer for the first listen in over a year and i must say, though there are glimmerings of brilliance when you have heard Achtung Baby and can pick it out, this is justification to me for their taking their time and working on songs until they're happy with them.

if they'd released this as is was, as some people seem to think would be such a brilliant idea with the Fez material, we would not be happy with it. they're not perfect, but they definitely know what they're doing. (!!!)

Where can we get a listen...."bowels of your computer" EEWWW!:wink:

The_Edge89 said:
I was listening to the fourth disc of the Salome Outtakes (or the Hansa Ton Outtakes if there's a diffrerence.)
when it suddenly dawned on me that the track that I listened to, Back Mask U2/Sick For Love (Woman) could be one of the Fez songs.
I can't belive it took me this long to see the connection.

About two months ago an article in french said that U2 were working on ten songs in Fez of which two were called One Bird and For Your Love.
(Source: http://www.telquel-online.com/277/arts1_277.shtml)

A fan who visited Eze last year and later posted here said that he/she heard a song that reminded him/her about the old outtake song as well.
The person tired to get the song on tape, but said unfortunately nothing was heard but the sound of waves.
If you're reading this please confirm that there's noting wrong with my memory!

A couple of weeks ago we got another Eze report stating: "We heard soft ballads with dancing rythm" and "No big guitars". I agree there might be a difference between "soft ballads with dancing rythm" and only "soft ballads" but interesting never the less. Also the sound of the old outtake is a bit ambient, although I admit that I haven't listen that much to Brian's solo work to be entirely sure of that.

Didn't Bono mention in the interview with Jo Whiley last Christmas that he wanted a more stipped down sound, with more space around the vocals? This would be the perfect song for him to do such a thing.

In another take of the song however, someone other than Bono is singing and I suspect that it might be Lanois, it does sound like him.
Lanois might've recorded it for his movie himself, with U2 and Brian as a backing band and sure, some of the lyrics in the outtake were used in So Cruel and some in Ultra Violet.
Actually I would say that the last seconds of his second trailer reminds me of this song, but maybe that's just the sound of something being played backwards that tricks me.

Interesting that they abandoned Rubin after a couple of months and started working with Eno/Lanois again, I'm thinking maybe they have a better insight of what is going on in the old tapes. But wouldn't it be unlikely though to bring back a song(s) that is more than 15 years old? Have they ever done that before?
U2 says they want to try new ways, and I interpret that as another reinvention.
Achtung Baby was the start of their latest reinvention before going back to the "classic" U2 sound we've heard on the last two albums.

"It's a U2 project" and "It feels like this is seperate material", Edge has said.
Your thoughts?

Here are the "lyrics" to the outtake with some help from the "The Achtung Baby Working Tapes Compendium" by Sira Vista:

When the night turns mean on you,
And the day is dry,
And there's no water around,
And you can't see the road ahead,
You can only see her

White and alive.
She's laughing in the face of love.
Your love is white and alive.
This is your last chance in my dreams.
In my dreams she stands over me.
Surrounded on all sides,
She has taken the higher ground.
And I'm the willing victim of her love.
I'm sick for love.
Sick for her/your love.
Sick foods you sell.
Just the sight of you makes me wobble.
I can't see straight, walk or talk to anyone else.
I can't even talk to you.
White and alive.
I'm laughing in the face of your face.
White and alive.
Sick for love.
Sick for love.
So, between the horses of love and lust
I'm trampled underfoot.

You're so ?? to your soul
drowining drunk on your love
And for a while you make me dizzy
And every beat of your heart
like the flapping wings of an angel
your heart beats
your heart beats
So long
So long
So long
so that was the pain?
mhm
So that was goodbye
mhm
And beauty makes us blind
mhm
(Bonogolease)

??? on the sunrise
And there she was
to high anymore
Your dark and cluttered heart.
And there's a quietness
That comes to this house
Where nobody can sleep.
She looks at her man
like he was a child
Waiting for the wave
(fade out)

Maybe i meant here, hwo can we get a listen!! Thanks

Re: Re: For Your Love = New take of an old song?

blm said:

Maybe i meant here, hwo can we get a listen!! Thanks

Ehm, as I said it is avaliable on the fourth disc of the 7-disc Salome/Hansa Ton Studios bootleg.
The song goes under several names, which are Back Mask U2 or Sick For Love (Woman).

I don't know if you are allowed to request it in Music on The Internet but give it a try:
http://forum.interference.com/f192.html

Back
Top Bottom