For comparison: Usenet discussion from 1991 about "The Fly" - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #61
War Child

Local Time: 11:05 PM
i was 14 ... almost 15 ... you look for your music at that age.
I remember lots of my classmates tought i was "strange" that I listened to U2 ...

Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #62
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:05 PM
I was seven at that time I still remember the first time I listened to U2: I was maybe 10 and it was precisely Achtung Baby. My brother had a tape... I remember that I loved The Fly ( I was always repeating it) and I remeber too that I was reading the lyrics (Fat Lady singing: we shine like a Burning star/We're falling from the sky/Tonight) and really beLIEving it really was a fat lady singing lol

Oh man... those were the times

Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:05 PM
I'm loving the fact that GOYB is getting such a mixed reaction right off the bat, even amongst fans. I think that bodes well for some creative new sounds on the album as a whole--much like Achtung.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #64
War Child

Local Time: 10:05 PM
man...I was 15 than..I loved the fly, but I was a little bit confused with the whole AB...something was of. After 10 listens I loved it...and than I continually played it until Zooropa came out

Now I'm realy old...than I thought - yeah, great, bring on the change, bring on something different....and today I don't feel comfortable with GOYB. Not because it's different, but because it somehow shallow (to me) musically... I hope that I'll change my view and opinion completely after we hear the album
Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #65
War Child

Great history lesson.

It gives our present conversation a wider scope!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #66
Refugee

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
I'm loving the fact that GOYB is getting such a mixed reaction right off the bat, even amongst fans. I think that bodes well for some creative new sounds on the album as a whole--much like Achtung.
I can't wait to read first reactions to the album
Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #67
War Child

Local Time: 05:05 PM
Where is DiamondDave -- I could swear he was a guy that posted quite frequently on Interference.

Great find -- the Fly was much better for in live; hopefully this new single will elevate a bit more in concert as well.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #68
War Child

But I think there is huge difference between the argument then and the argument now. The "new weird U2 single" has become kind of a cliche, when it was actually new and fresh then.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #69
Refugee

Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iota View Post
But I think there is huge difference between the argument then and the argument now. The "new weird U2 single" has become kind of a cliche, when it was actually new and fresh then.
The only only alternative is for them to retire, then. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it's not new and fresh, then it's old and stale.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #70
War Child

i just listened to the Fly for the heck of it...I still get that "holy crap" feeling every time i listen to it...I was stunned from the first time i heard it (i was 19). It had such a menacing, sexy sound. I like GOYB a lot, but it doesn't give me that jolt the Fly gave me, nor do i expect it to though. after the 90's, nothing U2 can do will ever seem truly weird.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #71
War Child

"Mysterious Ways is rumored to be like With Or Without You on the album."

Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #72
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
Indeed. The depth of this new sound won't grow stale in two months like How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #73
War Child

Local Time: 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleblackeye View Post
i just listened to the Fly for the heck of it...I still get that "holy crap" feeling every time i listen to it...I was stunned from the first time i heard it (i was 19). It had such a menacing, sexy sound. I like GOYB a lot, but it doesn't give me that jolt the Fly gave me, nor do i expect it to though. after the 90's, nothing U2 can do will ever seem truly weird.
Maybe the album got other tracks that may surprise you like The Fly did. We can't expect get the same feelings off a new song just because it's new. Or just because it's U2. I liked GOYB very much! I wouldn't compare it with any other of their songs so that's a plus at least for me.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

There is no comparison between The Fly and Get On Your Boots.

I know that people have different opinions, and The Fly drew mixed reactions back then, but The Fly always was a great song. This one, imo, is just ok; it's not new, it's not a sonic advancement, and ultimately, does not make one think of a new era for U2.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #75
War Child

Local Time: 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post
There is no comparison between The Fly and Get On Your Boots.

I know that people have different opinions, and The Fly drew mixed reactions back then, but The Fly always was a great song. This one, imo, is just ok; it's not new, it's not a sonic advancement, and ultimately, does not make one think of a new era for U2.
Maybe. But maybe U2 has already gone through lots of eras. Now it seems their main interest is about making great music, quality music and awesome albums. Plus, I don't think everything in rock is unlimited. And not everything new stands for "reinvention" or a fantastic twist.

Tags
the fly, usenet