Eze Clips DISCUSSION thread only II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think these clips are pretty promising, but I’m certainly reserving any excitement from them.

I thought Atomic Bomb was a steaming pile of… anyway, I did however love what I heard from the beach clips before it. The disappointment of hearing album versions of stuff like Miracle Drug and Love and Peace after thinking that they sounded awesome from the beach clips was pretty shattering. I would say that I am definitely going into this album more nervous than excited. I will be so bitterly disappointed if it’s another throw away MOR pop record, and I think coming from that position I am almost looking for signs of disaster – cut and paste ‘U2 Anthem Lite’ songs, terrible lyrics, poor production etc – in these songs rather than just letting go and getting excited.

Having said that, I think there are some really interesting things in there.

Clip 1 – The chanting-style sounds different and cool. I agree this sounds like either a typical eye of the storm U2 track 7 or 8 (think Tryin to Throw, One Step Closer etc), or a sweet closer. The pessimist in me also says this could also turn out like Sometimes, just slowly dragging you through a river of mediocrity for 4 minutes. Don’t worry, the optimist is there too and this sounds like it could be a very, umm, ‘pretty’ song.

Clip 2 – This is the one that has the biggest risk of being Miracle Drugged to death on an album IMO. I really like the melody and what we can get from the arrangement sounds cool, plus love the ye olde U2 sound of the backing harmonic vocal. Especially where they go off on the harmonic and Bono switches from the chorus lyric to something else (“it’s too late”??). Sounds like a great moment. Fingers crossed big time on this one.

Clip 3 – Agree this sounds like the next in line of the energetic, cheesy, lively, but ultimately empty rock singles (Vertigo, Elevation). That doesn’t mean it sounds bad, just saying, if this album has one, this does sound like it could be it.

Clip 4 – Yes, this one could be huge, but I’m hoping it’s not. What I mean is, I hope it’s not in the end a simplistic single, and it’s a track given far more care and attention. One that ends up holding a place similar to Acrobat or Gone or something. Is he scatting at the end there? More chanting too. Every one of these tracks has a little chant doesn’t it?

I would also add that these sound lightyears better than the last round we had, ‘All My Life’ etc.

well...I'd say clip 402 is on par with these beach clips....402 is simply brilliant...that better make the album...however, for some reason I don't think it will...not sure why....but that would be so cool if it did :hyper:

I've been listening to the clips again after a week off from them. I wanted to see if they had lost some of the magic. I am happy to report that they all sound better than they ever did before and I already loved them. These songs seem to be growers. In order of preference:

Clip 4 is spellbinding. If that's not a classic U2 song then there is no such thing. Edge's work throughout is brilliant and haunting. All 4 members are in top form on this one. I was noticing today how interesting Adams parts are. Larry is pounding the drums like his life depends on it. Bono is wailing like I didn't think he could anymore. This is a treasure.

Clip 1 feels like a weird hybrid of Acrobat and a less cheesy Stuck In A Moment (I do like that song), if that even sounds possible. The verses are so dark and heavy and it just opens up into that uplifting chanting chorus. Then that pre-solo part (can't get it out of my head) and the solo that just takes it to another place entirely before it brings you gently down to earth again.

Clip 5 is growing on me by leaps and bounds. It's like some classic lost track from the 60's. It feels deceptively simple. Hard to tell exactly what's going on but I like what I hear.

Clip 2 is hard rock with a soft chewy center. I am appreciating the guitar in the verses today. I new sound/style for Edge. This is a complex song structure. So many changes; verses, pre-chorus, chorus, solos, bridge/outro with that funky bass line...so much to take in.

Clip 3 is fun. This one scares me the most though. It's in the same vein as Elevation and Vertigo but this sounds like there might be a bit more to it than those. Great guitar work toward the end. We will see. I am cautiously optimistic.

With all of these clips, the only thing that could really ruin these songs for me would be lyrics, of which we know very little at this point. We shall see.

I'm telling you guys, 402 is going to be for Spider man. One of the titles for the Spider Man songs is "Boy Falls from the Sky." I can swear I hear Bono sing that in 402.

every chorus?
1:23-1:28
3:08-3:13

:hmm:

You're right...well, I guess that almost garauntees it, if indeed the Spiderman song is called that...

at least we'll be hearing the song eventually in studio quality form, but it still is slightly frustrating that it won't be on the next U2 LP...considering how it seems to blend nicely to the recent beach clips as well...we'll see, maybe a better song will take its place :shrug:

:hmm:

You're right...well, I guess that almost garauntees it, if indeed the Spiderman song is called that...

at least we'll be hearing the song eventually in studio quality form, but it still is slightly frustrating that it won't be on the next U2 LP...considering how it seems to blend nicely to the recent beach clips as well...we'll see, maybe a better song will take its place :shrug:

it could still possibly show up on the album and be a part of a soundtrack on another album but as brilliant this song is to tell you the truth, it sounds nothing like the clips we heard in style and I don't think it would fit nicely on the album anyway. But who knows, it is all pure speculation! Tim,e will only tell

it could still possibly show up on the album and be a part of a soundtrack on another album
I think these are all the songs that U2 (initially) wrote for another project that also made it onto an official U2 release.

* Alex Descends Into Hell for a Bottle of Milk (Korova 1) - A Clockwork Orange/Best of 1990-2000
* Until The End Of The World - Until The End Of The World/Achtung Baby
* Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - Faraway So Close/Zooropa
* Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - Batman Forever/Best of 1990-2000
* Elevation - Tomb Raider/All That You Can't Leave Behind
* The Ground Beneath Her Feet - The Million Dollar Hotel/All That You Can't Leave Behind
* The Hands That Built America - Gangs of New York/Best of 1990-2000

Hey man, thanks for the descriptions! I'm really getting a great sonic picture of what these songs are about.

Clip 2 sounds like a winner to me! That song and the clip 4 song are the ones I want to hear the most. Seems like they are evoking the most emotion from people on the board.

No problem. :wink:

Though the album has been finished long ago so I expect that all these 4 songs will be in the album. :hyper:

I think these are all the songs that U2 (initially) wrote for another project that also made it onto an official U2 release.

* Alex Descends Into Hell for a Bottle of Milk (Korova 1) - A Clockwork Orange/Best of 1990-2000
* Until The End Of The World - Until The End Of The World/Achtung Baby
* Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - Faraway So Close/Zooropa
* Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - Batman Forever/Best of 1990-2000
* Elevation - Tomb Raider/All That You Can't Leave Behind
* The Ground Beneath Her Feet - The Million Dollar Hotel/All That You Can't Leave Behind
* The Hands That Built America - Gangs of New York/Best of 1990-2000

Out of all of those, only 'Alex', 'Stay' and 'Hands' were actually written specifically for those projects.

UTEOTW is questionable, even though they share the same title I don't think the band watched the film or anything to write the song, from what I gather U2 was already working on this new material when Wenders asked for a song.

HMTMKMKM was a left over from Zooropa. Elevation wasn't written specifically for tomb raider.

Ground Beneath Her Feet was actually written by Rushdie and the music written by U2, I think it just happen to fit with the movie.

I think it would be a mistake for them to sacrifice "I Believe" or whatever it's title is for the Spiderman thing. In fact, I think it's a big mistake for them to be involved in that to begin with, but that's a whole other argument.

But U2 still needs to look up the word Horizon....or....some people need to get a life and stop over analyzing things......or better yet stop coming here and stop listening to U2.

Anyway I assume we will be hearing a more high quality leak within a month or so at least of the first single if not more....and I can't wait....we are in exciting times!:applaud:

Ok, so let me get this straight:

ATYCLB: Titanium soul

HTDAAB: Punk rock from venus

NLOTH: Molten Metal

Umm....
*worries*:uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom