Eno interview about Moment of Surrender?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was a nice interview with Eno. It inspired me to listen to 'Moment of Surrender' again, but I still find it a 7-and-a-half-minute mediocrity. I like the chord change into the chorus, and the Bono + Lanois vocals there is kind of a nice sound. But it takes 2.5 minutes of Bono's worst-ever vocal delivery -- along with a lack of melody or dramatic tension -- to get there. The second chorus turns me off lyrically (the references to ATM machines -- a malaproprism in itself -- and cell phones on this and the following track kind of strike me as "old dudes trying to sound hip"), but it's all right if the song ended there. But it drags on too long, and by the third chorus I've lost interest in the song. I'm also not sure what Eno was talking about vis-a-vis Larry's unique and wonderful drumming, because it sounds like generic 4/4 rock drumming to me -- the kind of thing a 12-year-old could play.

But that's just me. Still, I'd rather listen to "Moment of Surrender" on repeat while having my scrotum eaten by a vulture than listen to the latest Bon Jovi single just once, so that's something.

But that's just me. Still, I'd rather listen to "Moment of Surrender" on repeat while having my scrotum eaten by a vulture than listen to the latest Bon Jovi single just once, so that's something.

:lol:

Brilliant interview. You can tell Eno was so passionate about MOS, the interviewer only asked 1 question, the rest was eno just speaking. I love the way he puts thing across, very detailed and really gets you interested. I also was inspired to listen to MOS again, as i havnt took to the song, and still havnt. Its overrated if you ask me, dont get me wrong, its the best vocal bono has recorded in years, but the tune is just to depressing and boring, and the chorus is just awful. I mean take a look at an ending ascent by eno, the simple chords of strings is just breathtaking, but with MOS, i dont feel the same way. However, i dont think the bono or even the band could have described and put across what MOS is all about better than Eno did.

I'm with Eno on this one. MOS is the best recording they've made since POP. And it's only 7 or so minutes long, for crying out loud. It's not like it's Genesis "Supper's Ready" or anything. The time goes by pretty fast for me. Transcending stuff...hopefully we'll get more of it in the future. Hell, I hope they record some 9 minute songs. Extended solos. Subtle melodies. Hell yea.

Back
Top Bottom