Did Trump weaken SOE - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Did Trump weaken SOE

First thing - This thread is not for political discussion/arguing. Obviously politics will be referenced, but please keep it to the music and civil.

Ok.

So we all know that the band said they wanted to go back and revisit the SOE material in light of the Trump presidency. This seemed like BS, and they later said it was really more because of Bono's health, etc...

But from the material we've gotten thus far. 3 out of 5 seem to have been altered. TBT and Little Things remain personal tunes, and I love that.
Get Out starts as a personal tune and then part way thru the second verse we are talking about the face of liberty cracking and her getting a smack in the mouth....While the lyric actually flows quite well, it now seems tacked on or revised, and to me, i think that song would be even better if had been a consistent personal letter to his daughters...

The Blackout - Love this song, and this one has more possible political references throughout the entire thing. But i think lines like "Statues fall, democracy flat on its back - We had it all, and what we had is not coming back" isn't a tacked on part. It isn't as jarring as the Get Out political insertion, but does stand out as a likely revision.

American Soul - Well, this may have been this way from the beginning. Possibly this song wasn't even going to be on the album until Trump. Who knows.
I do know that I really like this song musically. I like the loose arrangement, it rocks out really well. But damn, the lyrics are so literal and direct the whole way through about refugees and grace and dreams and pilgrims and community, etc...

I really love the first section with "look around" parts and the bits with the Edge singing are really cool, and the last minute just rips.
Good song! I woke up singing that song out of all of them, stuck in my head, but its the song i least want to go back and listen to compared to the others.
And it's really because of a majority of the lyrics.

Now, I'm hoping that the rest of the album remains more personal, and we don't see so many obvious political inserts. But who knows.

Part of me just feels it takes away from the timelessness of an album or a song. It almost instantly dates it. A song like RBW - much more abstractly and cleverly talked about its subject matter. and what a great song it is.

Now maybe Trump will get goose-stepped out of the White House and money laundering and fraud charges and this album will be looked at as the band voicing a warning of what was about to come. But probably not.

Does anyone else feel this way? You find it good or bad?

Old 11-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Yes.

Trump has ruined everything he’s touched.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Yes.

Trump has ruined everything he’s touched.
LOL and true.

Well, without hearing 2/3 of the songs, i can't comment conclusively but i can say from what i've heard, if he hasn't weakened it, U2 certainly made it all about him. Almost every single line i've heard so far appears to be about him and America.

I thought it was supposed to be letters to his wife and children. It sounds more like letters to America to wake the f8ck up !
Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Now, I'm hoping that the rest of the album remains more personal, and we don't see so many obvious political inserts. But who knows.

Part of me just feels it takes away from the timelessness of an album or a song. It almost instantly dates it.
I agree with this and am not a fan of the overly obvious political content. I hear enough about Trump everywhere else, so I don't need to hear more in a U2 song. It's not like they need to raise awareness about what's going on, everybody already knows because it's in our faces every day.

As for whether the album has been "weakened," we can't really know because we didn't hear what it sounded like before. But if it reminds me of Trump every time I listen to it, even ten years from now, then I would say that's a bad thing.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb1075 View Post
LOL and true.

Well, without hearing 2/3 of the songs, i can't comment conclusively but i can say from what i've heard, if he hasn't weakened it, U2 certainly made it all about him. Almost every single line i've heard so far appears to be about him and America.

I thought it was supposed to be letters to his wife and children. It sounds more like letters to America to wake the f8ck up !

I think that’s a bit much. RefuJesus is hands down a reaction to Dumbf. GOOYOW and Blackout slipped a few lines in about him.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
The Fly

Trump is just a stand-in for evil incarnate, which we'll always have with us in one form or another. So...I don't think the album will age once Trump shuffles off this mortal coil or exits the contemporary scene.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Refugee

Blackout suffers as a result. A song focused on being an aging rock star losing a step but still finding meaning in the communal experience of the live show might've been more interesting than the stab at linking it to Trump.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #8
Refugee

We don't know for sure.
Do we even know what Bono's health scare was?
But it sure feels like they delayed the album and created a Joshua Tree tour because they didn't want to put out a happy go lucky record when they saw the Earth burning around them...

So it stands to reason, some of those lyrics and additions were probably a result of general feeling of dismay that a lot of the world feels these days....

That or they just over produced an album?
Old 11-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:48 AM
Well, there's no song about getting pissed on
Old 11-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Well, there's no song about getting pissed on
that's because they already wrote LEMON
Old 11-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

You know I like to get wet, Brett
The news you’re reading is fake, Blake
For theeeeeeere’s a golden shower
On the toooooooop of my tower
Old 11-03-2017, 11:30 PM   #12
Refugee

Freedom has a scent like a toilet wall
Old 11-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVaul View Post
Blackout suffers as a result. A song focused on being an aging rock star losing a step but still finding meaning in the communal experience of the live show might've been more interesting than the stab at linking it to Trump.

Couldn’t disagree more. The political lyrics work perfectly on this song. Trump is having a major impact on many Americans’ lives. No one cares about the perils of an aging rock star.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:48 AM
Yea I didn't even believe that it was anything other than autobiographical until Bono stated that he tweaked some lyrics to reflect Trump and Brexit. I still think the tweaks were mild and it has dual meaning.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #15
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:48 PM
U2 is smarter than that and they have delivered accordingly. If they had said "Trump says the people they don't want to be free for free"(he might do that live) then the song is weakened. But the "big mouth" could be Trump today or leader X tomorrow or maybe it's your boss or your coach or whatever. Blackout and GOOYOW both speak in parts to people in power who are bad and Trump is hardly the first, worst or last, so these parts will hold over time and can be applied to anyone.

Trump might have saved us from the "every door smells like fresh paint" line from TBT....ugh that was bad.