Dave Gahan likes NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
'There's a lot of life left in us old geezers yet...'

Anyway, in he strolls humming U2's 'Get On Your Boots'. Does he like the new album, I ask? "I was just listening to it this morning, actually. There are some really good songs on there. I think it's going to grow on me. It's not immediate. When I first heard the single, I was completely baffled, to be honest – it's like lots of different songs all put together. But I get it in the album, I understand it." Better still, he likes the accompanying film, Linear, that Anton Corbijn has made for No Line On The Horizon.

Comparisons with U2 often follow Depeche Mode around, which Gahan isn't really into. "I think that's probably the Anton [Corbijn] connection." Corbijn is a friend of the band and has photographed them extensively, as well as making their 1989 music video 'Personal Jesus'. Gahan pauses, "...and it just so happens that quite often we [U2 and Depeche Mode] put out albums at the same time," he cackles, a little manically, perhaps subconsciously realising the unfortunate PR setting this must pose.

Last time they played the same venue, "Bono sent over a note saying hello and being generally polite, I sent one back saying 'and you are?'" he laughs at the memory. One of U2's security team, Gerry, worked for Gahan years ago. "He took care of me – literally – for the 'Songs of Faith and Devotion' tour. He went through a lot with me. He's a great guy. He looks after Bono now." (he pronounces Bono, 'Bow-No'.) "Us and U2, we're similar in age and number of albums. We've both a big body of work. But there's a lot of life left in us old geezers yet."

Well that's surprising considering the majority of his fans dont. :down:

I noticed that before. I scanned a Depeche Mode forum round about the time HTDAAB was released and the reaction to U2 did not seem positive.

Depeche Mode does not get enough credit. Was listening to bits of Ultra the last couple of days and after having that album 10 years or more, I feel those songs will always be traveling with me. Never seen them live, but I imagine I would not be let down.

I'm a DM fan and have seen them live a few times but near got in huge fight with some of the idiotic fans about NLOTH over at their official forum.

I seen DM three times in the 80's then they went to america and I had had three kids to bring up and kindda lost touch with their music since 1989

I always appreciated they came over to Belfast a lot when other bands wouldnt come over here because of the troubles ect I have some good and funny memories of the concerts, and I was really into DM before U2, but now its the other way around, but I am glad they are still going strong, they are brilliant live as well

Good job, Sicy! Aaah, I always feel sorry for people not a fan of U2. They are totally missing out...sad for them they don't get it.

Ah, great find! I love Depeche Mode and have tickets for two shows on their upcoming tour, since October already. Just find it strange they release their tour details almost a year in advance of their album.
The parallels between U2 and DM releases are intriguing. Imho Music for the Masses (87) is like TJT; a renowed masterpiece. Then Violator (90) was something new and refreshing and Ultra (97) a bit like Pop, regarding the criticism.
And regarding the "Bow-No"; that must be Anton's influence on Dave. Almost every Dutchman pronounces Bono in this manner...:doh:

I'm not surprised that DM fans wouldn't like U2, the music is quite different from DM, who rely more heavily on synth based sounds and melodies. A lot of U2's music is driven by Edge's guitar and Adam's bass has been given more prominence on recent records. Adam mentioned during the Vertigo Tour i think, that he was listening to the new DM record and he was friends with the band.
I like some of DM's work, partic. from the Songs of Faith and Devotion, without doubt their best album and period, it's been downhill since then but they are still a good band and have released several good songs since the early 90s. Their early 80s stuff annoyed me though and I really hate Just Can't Enough!

I seen DM three times in the 80's then they went to america and I had had three kids to bring up and kindda lost touch with their music since 1989

I always appreciated they came over to Belfast a lot when other bands wouldnt come over here because of the troubles ect I have some good and funny memories of the concerts, and I was really into DM before U2, but now its the other way around, but I am glad they are still going strong, they are brilliant live as well

Puh-lease. Violator is a masterpiece.

^???

Anywho... So cool to read this tid bit from Dave. I have always wondered if they were fans of eachother. As a HUGE fan of U2, of course, and Depeche I totally notice every coincidence between the two. As someone was talking about their albums coinciding Rattle and Hum and Depeche Mode 101 were also released at the same time ('88)

Depeche Mode does not get enough credit. Was listening to bits of Ultra the last couple of days and after having that album 10 years or more, I feel those songs will always be traveling with me. Never seen them live, but I imagine I would not be let down.

Dep Mode are a brilliant live band- you'd definitely get your moneys worth with them- it's quite amazing- their audiences know what to do during various songs- as soon as Never Let Me Down Again starts everyone starts waving their arms from side to side

looking forward to seeing them at the o2 in May and sometime toward the end of the year

I remember years ago, back when MTV played music and talked about music, and they were interviewing people off the street asking if they've ever met anyone famous, and this guy related a story about meeting Bono at a Depeche Mode show... This was early 90's...

Gotta say, and maybe it's too early to judge, but the new Depeche Mode album is just baaaaaad. There's like 4 decent songs on it. And i thought Playing The Angel was mediocre. Anyway, U2 won this time around.

Gotta say, and maybe it's too early to judge, but the new Depeche Mode album is just baaaaaad. There's like 4 decent songs on it. And i thought Playing The Angel was mediocre. Anyway, U2 won this time around.

I completely agree, and I'm also a DM fan.

I loved Wrong, still do, so i looked up a few songs up, and i remembered Personal Jesus and Enjoy the silence but i never really cared, but now i completely love it. I should check out more of their albums.
But i downloaded Sounds of the universe, i am not really familiar with their other stuff but it is very very weak indeed, it sounds like the songs are made in 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom