Bono talks 3 albums again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If U2 doesn't release an album this year, do they think we're just supposed to forget all that stuff they said about having a bunch of material?

Maybe they're not happy with it? What's the worst that's going to happen to the 100 people on interference that actually remember these quotes? We're not going to listen to it when it actually comes out?

First off, when Bono says they have three albums, that probably means they have three songs. We were never guaranteed an album. From the looks of things, had Spider Man not needed to be reworked, we would have had an album last year. It did, so we didn't get one, the tour ended, now they probably just want to relax. They're getting old, and we know they like (read: need to) tour albums, and they probably don't want to go on tour immediately again. I don't really blame them either after being on the road for three years.

So no, we're not supposed to forget that they said they had a bunch of material. It's up to them to decide what to do with the material. Maybe the material sucks, too. There' absolutely no rush for them to release anything.

They were on the road, but it was only 40 or so shows each year.

They should just press on with Danger Mouse.

They said we would have a second one in 2009, then 2010, then 2011. I think the wait would have been a lot easier if they didn't keep suggesting a new album was coming. (Or that 3 were coming!)

That would only mean fans would complain at the lack of news. :shrug:

As for maths, as long as they keep it 3 albums* in one decade...

*plus new songs in between years. ES, HTBA, Saints, WITS, Soon, remastered albums songs with new lyrics/vocal from Bono...

00: ATYCLB (3 years)
04: HTDAAB (4 years)
09: NLOTH (5 years.)

:hmm: post-NLOTH (SOA ? Danger Mouse ?) 6 year break - 2015 ? Doubtful.

Bono has Afriiicaaa to save, Adam is the father of a young child, Edge has mansions to build, and Larry wasn't too keen on touring last time out. I doubt any of them are in a hurry to launch into another album/tour cycle anytime soon.

Bono has Afriiicaaa to save, Adam is the father of a young child, Edge has mansions to build, and Larry wasn't too keen on touring last time out. I doubt any of them are in a hurry to launch into another album/tour cycle anytime soon.
Here's an idea -- how about releasing an album, and NOT touring??? All the greatest bands in history have done it. The Beatles didn't exactly lose their profile when they stopped touring and put out Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, and Abbey Road. R.E.M. became the world's (2nd) biggest band at the moment they stopped touring.

Who knows? Maybe they'll find they enjoy it, and we'll actually get an album before my bus-pass years arrive.

Seeing people put "end of 2014" as a release date for the next album just makes me laugh. Even "end of 2013" is laughable. What I'm laughing at is the complete lack of faith that we (perhaps rightly) have in regards to U2 quickly releasing albums. Don't worry, having been a fan since '92 I've experienced a shitload of long waits and delays. But let's put it another way: any experienced, able band should be able to write and record a full album's worth of songs in 3-6 months. Plus a few months for mastering, promo stuff etc. I don't understand how it can take 2 years to make 11 songs (and no proper B-sides).

Lack of faith? More like being realistic. Do you seriously think that they're going to release an album this year? They always rework their songs till sometimes death, so I really do not see it happen. They won't put out an album unless they're satisfied with it. Especially Edge is a perfectionist, so a quick release won't happen.

Here's an idea -- how about releasing an album, and NOT touring??? All the greatest bands in history have done it. The Beatles didn't exactly lose their profile when they stopped touring and put out Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, and Abbey Road. R.E.M. became the world's (2nd) biggest band at the moment they stopped touring.

Because they want to make money. And there's not a whole lot of money to be made from just releasing an album and not touring. Financially, it's kind of a wasted effort to put a good amount of time into making an album and then not milk it for what it's worth with a tour, then having to wait another few years to release another album and then tour it.

Seeing people put "end of 2014" as a release date for the next album just makes me laugh. Even "end of 2013" is laughable. What I'm laughing at is the complete lack of faith that we (perhaps rightly) have in regards to U2 quickly releasing albums. Don't worry, having been a fan since '92 I've experienced a shitload of long waits and delays. But let's put it another way: any experienced, able band should be able to write and record a full album's worth of songs in 3-6 months. Plus a few months for mastering, promo stuff etc. I don't understand how it can take 2 years to make 11 songs (and no proper B-sides).

This is exactly the problem. I don't understand how it takes them so long. No, I couldn't make a U2 album in 3-6 months, but we know they can. And we keep hearing that they are in the studio and they are recording. It seems like after ATYCLB they kept writing, but stop releasing. It's tantric U2! All these finished albums go on the shelf and they don't share.

Because they want to make money. And there's not a whole lot of money to be made from just releasing an album and not touring. Financially, it's kind of a wasted effort to put a good amount of time into making an album and then not milk it for what it's worth with a tour, then having to wait another few years to release another album and then tour it.

It's true. In today's market, the money is all in touring.

The Panther said:
No, I'm not.

I said that if they don't put out an album until 2013, they'll have released two albums in 12 years. Now, let's break that down:

(1) 2001 - no album
(2) 2002 - no album
(3) 2003 - no album
(4) 2004 - HTDAAB
(5) 2005 - no album
(6) 2006 - no album
(7) 2007 - no album
(8) 2008 - no album
(9) 2009 - NLOTH
(10) 2010 - no album
(11) 2011 - no album
(12) 2012 - no album

And there you have it. Two albums in 12 years.

The specifics of the math was not really the point, but you still managed to look foolish by making a big deal out of it. Good job, as usual.

You're right, I'm the foolish one :giggle:

All very true and yet pretty disappointing. Surely with ongoing royalties and investments they have more than enough money for their lifetime and their childrens' lifetimes.....

U2 are in a very privileged position of being financially secure and with a global fanbase which should allow them to take some risks and just release music for the hell of it. Its all about the music isn't it?

ascender_RS said:
All very true and yet pretty disappointing. Surely with ongoing royalties and investments they have more than enough money for their lifetime and their childrens' lifetimes.....

U2 are in a very privileged position of being financially secure and with a global fanbase which should allow them to take some risks and just release music for the hell of it. Its all about the music isn't it?

I don't feel like U2 have a duty to make music for me. There's a giant opportunity cost that goes into making an album. They are busy men and they've made a lot of music and I can't blame them if they don't want to invest time into making an album but not really getting paid for it like they would if they toured.

I can't blame them if they don't want to invest time into making an album but not really getting paid for it like they would if they toured.
I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I do blame them for this! It's just a feeling, but I'm guessing that they don't really need more money...

We get news from Dublin. # U2 is taking material out of the studio in Hanover Quay. Possibly seek another studio to continue recording the new album. More info and pictures soon ..

To continue recording the new album? That's quite a bold statement there..

I wonder if there's a new place in Dublin for them, seeing as the U2 tower project is called off. Perhaps they're going back to France.

To continue recording the new album? That's quite a bold statement there..

I wonder if there's a new place in Dublin for them, seeing as the U2 tower project is called off. Perhaps they're going back to France.

Ok, correction: to continue whatever they are working on. :lol: I apologise, as you can see I can get excited very easily (I hate dry spells).

That's what I thought, that they might be heading down to France and spend some time there chilling and recording stuff.

Then I wonder what equipment was moved.. if it's guitars, could be France. But if it's other stuff, they already have a fully equipped studio in Edge's basement in Eze, so there would be no need to move amps and studio equipment. Unless they found a new studio.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if they got a new studio that the fans didn't know about? :wink:

Then I wonder what equipment was moved.. if it's guitars, could be France. But if it's other stuff, they already have a fully equipped studio in Edge's basement in Eze, so there would be no need to move amps and studio equipment. Unless they found a new studio.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if they got a new studio that the fans didn't know about? :wink:

Maybe they're looking for a new location besides Dublin/South of France ?

Just as long as they're in Dublin when I'm there in September :mad:

As I am a
Patslogo26.GIF
fan, I hope you miss them.
stirpot.gif

Back
Top Bottom