Bono: our most complete and radical album yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course Bono has written that. This is not the first letter, article, commentary whatever he's written. The man loves to write, he wanted to be a journalist, and I think he just tries to be always connected.

Why should he call a press conference just because he wants to answer an album review and say some things about the recording of the album in question? :huh:

I have my doubts on whether Bono actually wrote that, they could've tracked his IP address:hmm:.

But seriously, anyone couldve written that, I could have, you, you and maybe the person whos reading my post right now could have wriiten that.

Anyways if Bono wanted to say something he would say in a press conference or and interview or anything that has him actually talking in it.

Who am I to know anyway? Thats my two cents.

:reject:
Rolling Stone wouldn't have published that without confirmation it was indeed The Sunglassed One.

Rolling Stone wouldn't have published that without confirmation it was indeed The Sunglassed One.

Ok my mistake. Thanks for pointing that out. :wink:

Does Bonno really write like what he wrote? lots of '...' :lol:

You know, the more I think about it, the whole internet revolution and instant access to information is a real double edged sword for circumstances like this...

On one hand, you have up-to date information almost in real time for these new albums and a lot more knowledge before hand of what the new album is going to sound like. In some cases, you even get samples of new songs in various degrees of completion and quality.

On the other hand, you get an incredible amount of hype, speculation and all around bullshit leading up to the new album that in a lot of cases succeeds in either putting you off initially or raises your expectations so high that no album can possibly meet them.

With all due respect to U2 and their organization, I'm starting to wish these guys would just shut up and let the album sell it self...

I realize in this day and age this is a dangerous approach, since it's clear that you can't sell large amounts of albums without hype anymore but still, it would be nice to just get an album without all the talk of it being their "best album yet" or their "most innovative” or whatever.

Thanks for your kind words, Skott :D

Yes, I doubt RS would have made a claim that B-man wrote that without confirming it first. And it sounds like Bono to the T. Good stuff, IMO. If only he threw in some lyrics on the new album that are as eloquent.

And I hope the album ain't called NLOTH, if only for the reason that I want to be suprised.

Thanks for your kind words, Skott :D

Yes, I doubt RS would have made a claim that B-man wrote that without confirming it first. And it sounds like Bono to the T. Good stuff, IMO. If only he threw in some lyrics on the new album that are as eloquent.

And I hope the album ain't called NLOTH, if only for the reason that I want to be suprised.

Oh right...that too...we've been hearing about NLOTH for so long, and it's nothing that new...that's the other reason I don't want it to be the album title...I want to be surprised!

Back on topic...this is really cool of Bono to do something like this, it was a very enjoyable read, and I could imagine him speaking every word he wrote...like that thing about Edge owning a color like Van Gogh owns the collor yellow...he has said that numerous times before, like in the 60 minutes interview :)

From what I can tell from the clips so far, this album is not shaping up to be their most "radicaul album yet," so I don't know what to think...I guess quotes like this get me excited, yes, but none of this changes my expectations for when I actually listen to the album. Although, if the album is average, I will wonder exactly what the U2 camp is thinking...I mean all we've been hearing is hyperbole after hyperbole...

There has been talk about how "secretive" U2 have kept this new album. Do you still think U2 are keeping this album low-key? In comparison to HTDAAB, have they kept this one more quiet, considering all the U2.com clips and the quotes from Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite, Edge, and Bono? I wasn't here last year....is there usually more going on at this point?

You know, the more I think about it, the whole internet revolution and instant access to information is a real double edged sword for circumstances like this...

On one hand, you have up-to date information almost in real time for these new albums and a lot more knowledge before hand of what the new album is going to sound like. In some cases, you even get samples of new songs in various degrees of completion and quality.

On the other hand, you get an incredible amount of hype, speculation and all around bullshit leading up to the new album that in a lot of cases succeeds in either putting you off initially or raises your expectations so high that no album can possibly meet them.

With all due respect to U2 and their organization, I'm starting to wish these guys would just shut up and let the album sell it self...

I realize in this day and age this is a dangerous approach, since it's clear that you can't sell large amounts of albums without hype anymore but still, it would be nice to just get an album without all the talk of it being their "best album yet" or their "most innovative” or whatever.

Yes Yes a thousand times Yes!!!

From what I can tell from the clips so far, this album is not shaping up to be their most "radicaul album yet," so I don't know what to think...I guess quotes like this get me excited, yes, but none of this changes my expectations for when I actually listen to the album. Although, if the album is average, I will wonder exactly what the U2 camp is thinking...I mean all we've been hearing is hyperbole after hyperbole...

you're judging an album already- not from the people that have recorded and produced it first hand (which is always dangerous, but...) - but by the way you've heard two or three traffic laced clips sound? sometimes I wish people never recorded any beach or street clips or whatever you call them. they provide little to no insight whatsoever except for the fact that U2 are actually making songs.

Oh right...that too...we've been hearing about NLOTH for so long, and it's nothing that new...that's the other reason I don't want it to be the album title...I want to be surprised!

If you want to be surprised, why are you even reading this forum and listening to audio clips? :doh: :laugh:

you're judging an album already- not from the people that have recorded and produced it first hand (which is always dangerous, but...) - but by the way you've heard two or three traffic laced clips sound? sometimes I wish people never recorded any beach or street clips or whatever you call them. they provide little to no insight whatsoever except for the fact that U2 are actually making songs.

Just saying that based on the clips and what I can hear in them, it doesn't seem too "radical," hopefully I'm wrong though :shrug:

Actually, on second thought, the clip that someone said was NLOTH sounds pretty radical, so maybe so...we'll see

There has been talk about how "secretive" U2 have kept this new album. Do you still think U2 are keeping this album low-key? In comparison to HTDAAB, have they kept this one more quiet, considering all the U2.com clips and the quotes from Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite, Edge, and Bono? I wasn't here last year....is there usually more going on at this point?

The only other album that has been this low-key(since U2 hit their height) was Zooropa, but that was only because it came out so quick and unexpected. Rob you really seem to jump to conclusions and speculations a lot, I know you're excited but you are judging an album on what two muffled songs? And that's really all we have, two muffled songs.

In all honesty, I couldn't give a fuck what they think about it. It is entirely possible to make up your own mind without being swayed by someone with zero objectivity (IE: the one who made it).

The pros of the internet revolution greatly outweigh the cons IMO, at least on paper.

The only other album that has been this low-key(since U2 hit their height) was Zooropa, but that was only because it came out so quick and unexpected. Rob you really seem to jump to conclusions and speculations a lot, I know you're excited but you are judging an album on what two muffled songs? And that's really all we have, two muffled songs.

ok, you're right...haha...I really have absolutely no idea if this is going to be their most radical or not...I hope it is though :)

In all honesty, I couldn't give a fuck what they think about it. It is entirely possible to make up your own mind without being swayed by someone with zero objectivity (IE: the one who made it).

The pros of the internet revolution greatly outweigh the cons IMO, at least on paper.

exactly...it makes no sense why anyone should be irritated by any hype....does Eno saying Moment of Surrender is the best thing he has ever recorded with U2 really change how the song sounds? No...so who cares :shrug:

I'm talking about the album title....did you not get that? :)

lol. That smile looks like it's holding back the urge to bludgeon me in the face.

Anyway, my point is that if you continue reading this forum, you will NOT be surprised about the album title or anything! You will know the true title before the album is released anyway! If you really want to be surprised, you should avoid this forum till the album hits music stores.

lol. That smile looks like it's holding back the urge to bludgeon me in the face.

Anyway, my point is that if you continue reading this forum, you will NOT be surprised about the album title or anything! You will know the true title before the album is released anyway! If you really want to be surprised, you should avoid this forum till the album hits music stores.

:giggle:

Zoot, even if I know the album title before the album is released, I can still be surprised...I won't be surprised by the album title when I actually go to the store and buy it, but I'll be surprised on this forum when word gets out that the new album name is something as cool as "Zooropa"....

Maybe someone should mention that something that is "radical" to Bono or the band does not have to be "radical" for the fans. It depends on how you define "radical", after all it's a subjective definition. If Bono believes what they do has something radical about it, that doesn't mean the fans will perceive it the same way. So it's a matter of how you define "radical". Personally, I don't like the word "radical", it has a negative feeling to it, I wish Bono wouldn't use it.

ah, but are you being subjective enough?

irony ftw :drool:

I seem to recall rumors of the last album being called "Solar" and "Vertigo" and Interscope scooping up those domains feeding even more speculation. If NLOTH ends up NOT being the title, we can all look back on the Summer of 2008 as The Summer We All Thought U2 Was Going To Put Out Something Titled Like A 70s Prog Rock Album.

No Line On The Horizon? That sounds like a Yes album from 1975 with a winged unicorn on the cover flying over some mystical pond with a twirly bridge reflected in it. Illustrated by Roger Dean, of course.

No Line On The Horizon? That sounds like a Yes album from 1975 with a winged unicorn on the cover flying over some mystical pond with a twirly bridge reflected in it. Illustrated by Roger Dean, of course.

:hmm:

roflbotfkcgei5.jpg

The only other album that has been this low-key(since U2 hit their height) was Zooropa, but that was only because it came out so quick and unexpected.

Is this album being low key? It's only the beginning of August, about three months before the new album will probably hit the stores. And there's already lots of material (soundbytes, video stuff, etc.) about it. I wouldn't call this low key.

Is this album being low key? It's only the beginning of August, about three months before the new album will probably hit the stores. And there's already lots of material (soundbytes, video stuff, etc.) about it. I wouldn't call this low key.

The videos don't really show anything and our "beach clips" only turned out what, 2 songs. We really don't know shit about this album.

The videos don't really show anything and our "beach clips" only turned out what, 2 songs. We really don't know shit about this album.

Neither did we in 2004, 2000, etc. And apart from two fragments of songs, we didn't know shit about Pop either in 1997. So this is nothing new, three months before the release date.
:shrug:

Neither did we in 2004, 2000, etc. And apart from two fragments of songs, we didn't know shit about Pop either in 1997. So this is nothing new, three months before the release date.
:shrug:

disagree. we had a lot more information at this point in 2004 than we do right now.

Back
Top Bottom