All critical, "professional" reviews of SOI here, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have I got my U2 tinted glasses on when it comes to this album? I love it, I love every track on there. It's their most complete album for 23 years. I just can't see we're some of these bad reviews come from. I suppose it's your own tastes but if this record doesn't please people then nothing will

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

U2.com has a small version of the first page of Q's review. Anyone have the whole thing?

large.jpg

I bet that reviewer would like to sing in such a way that he could transmit his ego and smugness (and hatred for Bono) so effortlessly

:up:

So much hatred for a band (and so much dumbness) must really hurt. It's amazing what kind of stuff can count as a "review" these days.

Well, I still think the haters can suck it. I'm just not letting it bother me like it used to. :wink:

Yeah, I used to care a lot more. Don't really care now. Seems like the band have the same mindset. The most comfortable I've seen them in their own skin in a while.

Yeah, I used to care a lot more. Don't really care now. Seems like the band have the same mindset. The most comfortable I've seen them in their own skin in a while.

Yes, and they're right. You mustn't be distracted by negativity. Some people just like to be miserable.

Very true.
U2 has become "Numb" to all this media circus going around them for years.
All it matters is the music. :rockon:

Don't move
Don't talk out of time
Don't think
Don't worry
Everything's just fine
Just fine
Don't grab
Don't clutch
Don't hope for too much
Don't breathe
Don't achieve
Or grieve without leave
Don't check
Just balance on the fence
Don't answer
Don't ask
Don't try and make sense
Don't whisper
Don't talk
Don't run if you can walk
Don't cheat, compete
Don't miss the one beat
Don't travel by train
Don't eat
Don't spill
Don't piss in the drain
Don't make a will
Don't fill out any forms
Don't compensate
Don't cower
Don't crawl
Don't come around late
Don't hover at the gate
Don't take it on board
Don't fall on your sword
Just play another chord
If you feel you're getting bored

I feel numb - I feel numb
Too much is not enough
I feel numb
Don't change your brand
Gimme what you got
Don't listen to the band
Gimme what I don't get
Don't gape
Don't ape
Don't change your shape
Gimme some more
Have another grape
Too much is not enough

I feel numb
Gimme some more
A piece of me, baby
I feel numb

Don't plead
Don't bridle
Don't shackle
Don't grind
Gimme what I don't get
Don't curve
Don't swerve
Gimme some more
I feel numb
Lie, die, serve
I feel numb
Don't theorize, realise, polarise
Gimme what you got
Chance, dance,dismiss, apologise
Gimme what I don't get
Gimme what you got
Too much is not enough

I feel numb
Don't spy
Don't lie
Don't try
Imply
Detain
Explain
Start again
I feel numb
I feel numb
Don't triumph
Don't coax
Don't cling
Don't hoax
Don't freak
Peak
Don't leak
Don't speak
I feel numb
I feel numb

Don't project
Don't connect
Protect
Don't expect
Suggest
I feel numb
Don't project
Don't connect
Protect
Don't expect
Suggest
I feel numb
Gimme what you got

Don't struggle
Don't jerk
Don't collar
Don't work
Don't wish
Don't fish
Gimme what I don't get
I feel numb
Don't teach
Don't reach
Gimme some more
I feel numb
To much is not enough
I feel numb
Gimme what you got
Don't borrow
Don't break
Don't fence
Gimme what I don't get
I feel numb
Don't steal
Don't pass
Don't press
Don't try
Don't feel
Gimme some more
I feel numb
Don't touch
Don't dive
Don't suffer
Don't rhyme
Don't fantasize
Don't rise
Don't lie
I feel numb

Don't project
Don't connect
Protect
I feel numb
Don't expect
Suggest
Don't project
Don't connect
Protect
I feel numb
Don't expect
Suggest
I feel numb
:rockon:

^ That's exactly what I thought, too. The song is anything but consoling. Even though the review is quite positive, it still shows how clueless many reviewers are and how little they really know about the music that they are actually reviewing.

Great review but calling Sleep Like a Baby a "consoling" song is pretty funny.

^ That's exactly what I thought, too. The song is anything but consoling. Even though the review is quite positive, it still shows how clueless many reviewers are and how little they really know about the music that they are actually reviewing.

music can be whatever you want it to be, wherever it finds you

The song only appears to be soothing on the surface by referencing "Sleep" and "Baby" and also because of the melody, but in truth it's everything but a lullaby, that's the interesting thing about it, there's something disturbing underneath that surface.

man, i actually find Radiohead's Exit Music quite soothing :D

sometimes the darker the lyrics/content are, the more comforting a song can be, because it kind of makes you feel, ok, things aren't that bad, in fact, things are quite good, and you feel better already lol

The song only appears to be soothing on the surface by referencing "Sleep" and "Baby" and also because of the melody, but in truth it's everything but a lullaby, that's the interesting thing about it, there's something disturbing underneath that surface.

I think you are being a bit generous to the reviewer here.

To me "eyes as red as Christmas" and "someone else's suicide" should be hints at something sinister beneath the surface and a good reviewer would make the effort to peel a layer or two off the onion. Heck, there are enough reviews out there by now that it would not be that difficult to understand what the song is about with a minute or two of work. Or it could just be that this reviewer plays death metal to soothe his kids to sleep and he just has a different frame of reference. :wink:

I think you are being a bit generous to the reviewer here.

To me "eyes as red as Christmas" and "someone else's suicide" should be hints at something sinister beneath the surface and a good reviewer would make the effort to peel a layer or two off the onion. Heck, there are enough reviews out there by now that it would not be that difficult to understand what the song is about with a minute or two of work. Or it could just be that this reviewer plays death metal to soothe his kids to sleep and he just has a different frame of reference. :wink:

Woops, sorry. I meant to quote the mama cass posting above yours!
Cheers.

Good article.

This is one of the more interesting bits, which has the added value of being true:

U2 fans have always been ridiculous, too: like acolytes of the Boss, Bon Jovi, Mary J. Blige and Lana Del Rey, they prioritize emotional investment over critical judgment, loving what their favorite artist provides because of its feel, its overwhelming embrace, instead of its ability to satisfy particular tastes. U2 music can be "bad" by most critical assessments — overblown and meandering, or flailing, trying too hard — and still provide fans with the connection they crave.

Powers is very familiar with the band's work, and this really is one of the most recent intelligent articles about them I've ever read. I wish it were longer so she could have gone more into the specifics of the new music itself.

it's interesting ... the most spirited debates i've had about music in the past 20 years have been had with Bruce acolytes. his audience is every bit as devoted and connected to him and his music as the U2 cult. the article does a nice job getting at the idea that sometimes music isn't really music, or that the music is incidental to what's really going on, which is what happens with both Bruce and U2. i bet both of them would say, "no, actually, it really isn't all about the music."

i also thought the article seemed to be hinting that SOE may arrive sooner than we think.

maybe. we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom