After a year...what do you think about NLOTH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading everyone's comments I feel like I'm the only one who enjoys "Crazy Tonight" after UC :reject:

To me it just reiterates the joyfulness in UC.

nah, there's plenty of people who enjoy the 'middle three'. There's just an equal amount of people who seem to hate it.

Reading everyone's comments I feel like I'm the only one who enjoys "Crazy Tonight" after UC :reject:

I like Crazy (It's a pop song and shouldn't be taken too seriously) after UC I don't have a problem with it, I don't like boots and SUC has some dodgy lyrics but musically it's not bad.

I enjoy Crazy and GOYB (not sure if GOYB is placed right) but SUC takes a would be masterpiece to a B+/A-. Song just not fit into NLOTH.

Even better then when it came out!!!:hyper: I like it alot more now:hmm:

I like Crazy tonight and the (un)holy trinity of NLOTH.

I think Crazy/Comedy makes for a more diverse record sonically, even if the former is out of place on an album like NLOTH wanted to be.

Boots just drags the album down unecessarily.

Well I think Boots is a great rocksong. It's everything Vertigo should have been. It's not yet in the category of The Fly or EBTTRT but it doesn't come far after that. Even the lyrics fit the album more or less. Only SUC drags the album down. Why do U2 albums (almost) always have to have 11 tracks? Without SUC I would probably rate it almost equal to AB.

Well I think Boots is a great rocksong. It's everything Vertigo should have been. It's not yet in the category of The Fly or EBTTRT but it doesn't come far after that. Even the lyrics fit the album more or less. Only SUC drags the album down. Why do U2 albums (almost) always have to have 11 tracks? Without SUC I would probably rate it almost equal to AB.

Yeah, I also see GOYB as what Vertigo was supposed to be. The only problem was that Vertigo came first, so the song sounded derivative on the radio.

:doh:

i'll say it again, other than guitar distortion and fun lyrics, these songs are nothing alike.

You think? I think they have a very similar feel. Certainly they sound very similar to the casual listener. Yes, GOYB has a much more interesting structure, but I think they really do have a family resemblance.

You think? I think they have a very similar feel. Certainly they sound very similar to the casual listener. Yes, GOYB has a much more interesting structure, but I think they really do have a family resemblance.

the timing and song structures are completely different. i guess, as a musician, the lazy comparison bugs the hell out of me.

the timing and song structures are completely different. i guess, as a musician, the lazy comparison bugs the hell out of me.

I don't think anyone means to suggest the notes, timing, structure, lyrics, etc are the same, but look at the Macro: I don't think it's lazy to suggest that they have a similar feel and a similar intended effect on the audience.

At first listen they're very alike but Boots is better because of the differences.

I don't think anyone means to suggest the notes, timing, structure, lyrics, etc are the same, but look at the Macro: I don't think it's lazy to suggest that they have a similar feel and a similar intended effect on the audience.

i think it's very lazy. not once did i ever think GOYB sounded like Vertigo. yeah, maybe they have the same guitar distortion... :shrug:

It's been over a year and still this discussion? :doh:

I'm with you mikal, I can't stand that lazy comparison.

count me in on this as well....two completely different sounding songs. When i first heard GOYB, nothing at all jumped out at me and made me think of Vertigo. Nothing.

I'll admit I "thought" about Vertigo when I first heard Boots. I think it was in the cadence of Bono's singing at the begining of both songs... but thats it. I could probably lump Elevation into that comparison too. I don't think the songs sound at all alike but to me there seems to be similar U2 "mechanics" at work, a sort of "formula" about the songs that seems to tweak the ear, a familiarity besides the fact that they are U2 songs.

I thought the GOYB riff sounded more similar to Edge's riff on Discotheque than anything on Vertigo, and that's stretching it a bit too.

nah, there's plenty of people who enjoy the 'middle three'. There's just an equal amount of people who seem to hate it.

And I belong to the amount of people who enjoy the 'middle three' songs as individual songs (for example in an iPod shuffle mode), but not as the 'middle three' on NLOTH, since they hamper the flow of the album.

And I belong to the amount of people who enjoy the 'middle three' songs as individual songs (for example in an iPod shuffle mode), but not as the 'middle three' on NLOTH, since they hamper the flow of the album.

I'll join that group as well.

The lyrics, Bono's delivery, the scratchy guitar in the verses followed by big riffs in the chorus - plenty of things to make one think of Vertigo.

Back
Top Bottom