Additional Musicians on the New Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PookaMacP

War Child
After hearing about the work they did with traditional musicians in Fez, I was wondering to what degree we'll see these sounds integrated into the new album. I was listening to some (great) tracks at Malian ngoni player Bassekou Kouyate's myspace today, which contains the below and wondered whether anyone knew about his collaboration with U2 or whether it's something for the future?

About Bassekou Kouyate: Taj Mahal describes him as a genius, a living proof that the blues comes from the region of Segu. Bassekou Kouyate is one of Malis best-known Ngoniplayers. He has collaborated with many important traditional musicians of his country as well as international such as Carlos Santana, U2 among many many others. Most recently he is featured on Ali Farkas posthumous album 'Savane' and toured with him leaving a lasting impression on the audience as the bands solo ngoni player. Bassekou was born in a village called Garana about 60 kms from Segu, in the remote countryside on the banks of the Niger river....

U2DMfan said:
Now that's interesting. I welcome it, if it's true.

I couldn't find anything pertaining to a song but I did find this concert:
http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/article353.html

Apparently, this could be when they met?
Maybe a Bono/Geldof connection.

Other than that, I have no idea what this collaboration is.

Nice idea, but I would doubt so. The gig, you mentioned, was a Bono solo outing in '07. Then the U2 frontman met with Geldof, N'Dour & the German Punk singer Campino for an acoustic performance of cover tunes. The only instrument I do remember was played by Geldof (guitar); nobody else was on stage. For the encore Bono joint the host, the German pop singer Grönemeyer, on stage for his song "Mensch" – that was played by Grönemeyer's regular band ...

I wasn't implying that the concert itself was the collaboration.

I was implying, as I said,
"Apparently, this could be when they met"

I dropped the link in because it's the only thing linking U2 (Bono) to this guy, other than his own press releases.

Perhaps I should have noted in the post, Bono doesn't PLAY with this guy and neither does Geldof but he was there.

It is a curious statement, because Ali Farka Toure's album Savane he talks about in such a manner as if it came after the collaboration with U2, and Toure's album was out at least a year ago. Still, it is interesting to think that Bono might have met with him at that concert. Whether that transpired into anything more and whether we'll ever get to hear it if it did is, like everything else on Where the Album Has No Name, probably only going to be answered when LP12 comes out.

Would be a nice addition to the sound, though, I think, and certainly would show some real ambition.

one can only dream :drool:

more_cowbell.jpg

Back
Top Bottom