1 Year ago Today!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the prediction by some that the album would lose favor around these parts ala Bomb and NLOTH appears to have been a false narrative.

The majority of Interference posters appear to still really like this album!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

As for the no classics argument, doesn't hold up for me. Of course there are no hits, but NLOTH had none either.

I overheard two co-workers a few months back complaining about the iTunes release and having to get the album off of their iPhones (maybe the only time I ever heard that coming from someone, for that matter). One of them mentioned that the album wasn't any good, but his only logic for it was that "it didn't even have any hits on it." Not that he shouldn't have sat down and listened to it if he didn't want to, but I did kind of laugh at that suggestion anyway... :lol:

Great post, btw. Same with all the others as well... my story didn't really vary a whole lot. Sat down at the laptop for a livestream of the Apple event, downloaded and listened, put on my phone and listened to some more while walking around the neighborhood on a humid day. Good times!

I was very disapointed on the album when I listend to it the first time, the songs where so flat. Dumb as I was I had forgotten how it was the first time I listened to Zoroopa. Just like Zooropa it needed time, and the songs started to groove on me for each listening. And the intressting thing is that the songs still groove on me one years after. Which no other U2 album have done before.
They could have skipped Miracle and maybe California(I like that song alot, but it is to pop compared to the other songs).

U2 suprised me alot with this album, I had no expectations on this album before it was released. Im impressed that a band in their mid 50s can release such a good album.
SOI is to me one of their best, AB and Zooropa have always been my two favorites. But there is a big chance that SOI might be joining that company.
U2, you dont need to do songs that radio should play and neither f**k up the mainstream anyomore. Focus on the music that the the fans and the mainstream dont want.

Yeah they could have introduced SOI to thw world with 'California' and that would have made me really happy, however, people would still be upset with the release method and all of that shit.

I like SOI almost as much now as i did when it was first released. & i like it soooo MUCH better than No Line...which isn't bad either but after that trainwreck in the middle it just never really recovers for me.

I did actually listen to BOMB the other day and was quite impressed on how much i liked it. Even the songs i thought i didn't really like were quite refreshing to hear.

imo there are two milestones in the future where we will really judge this album: when the tour ends and when a new album is released.

Yeah, a year is nothing. As long as people are paying serious coin to hear these songs live and there's nothing new to compare it to, the new album will always get the benefit of the doubt.

It's centuries between U2 releases, so I'm not sure what the consensus was for Bomb and NLOTH a year after they were released. I'm an old man now.

Last edited:
I remember I was in the parking lot waiting to go into a sales call to sell a lawyer advertising when this dropped. Worst meeting. I just rushed through my pitch to get out of there and blast the album.

imo there are two milestones in the future where we will really judge this album: when the tour ends and when a new album is released.

Valid point. Though I wavering on NLOTH well before the tour ended and I'm not with SOI

Sent from my SM-G928P using U2 Interference mobile app

Great album! Love it to death. I still listen to a few songs everyday. California, Iris, SFS, volcano, and Reach Around get at least one rep per day no matter what.

It's also aging really well for me. The flow dynamics of the story telling (concept) makes it that much more enjoyable when listening to it from front to back as I learn more about the back story.

Last edited:
I did actually listen to BOMB the other day and was quite impressed on how much i liked it. Even the songs i thought i didn't really like were quite refreshing to hear.

I've recently had the same experience with that album.

My biggest complaint about Bomb is that the track listing is so egregious. No excuse for not having COBL as the album opener, it would've been perfect.
01 COBL
02 Vertigo
03 Sometimes
04 All Because of You
05 Species
06 Fast Cars
07 Man and a Woman
08 Miracle Drug
09 Love and Peace
10 One Step Closer
11 Crumbs
12 Yahweh
Would've made a big difference IMO.

It amazes me how poorly this band orders their tracks, NLOTH was just as bad, if not worse, than Bomb's track listing. Luckily, SOI has a pretty good running order and would've been even better if Invisible was the opener.

NLOTH was just as bad, if not worse, than Bomb's track listing.

No, it wasn't. Cut out the middle three and it flows very well. They had their work cut out for them fitting those tracks anywhere, honestly.

NLOTH>Magnificent>MOS>UC and Fez>White As Snow are way better transitions than any on HTDAAB, which were almost all bad.

No, it wasn't. Cut out the middle three and it flows very well. They had their work cut out for them fitting those tracks anywhere, honestly.

NLOTH>Magnificent>MOS>UC and Fez>White As Snow are way better transitions than any on HTDAAB, which were almost all bad.

Fez should've opened.
01 Fez
02 NLOTH
03 Boots
04 Magnificent
05 MOS
06 UC
07 Crazy Tonight
08 WAS
09 Breathe
10 Lebanon

My alternate track listing would go something like this:

1. Soon
2. Breathe
3. Fez
4. NLOTH
5. Magnificent
6. MOS
7. UC
8. White As Snow
9. Winter (Brothers)
10. Cedars of Lebanon

But what we have is still far more creative and listenable than Bomb or SOI as far as I'm concerned.

Also, what's encouraging is that my love for this album hasn't died off...like a couple people here boldly predicted would happen. ;)

I feel the same, although I never ranked it as one of their great albums (AB, TJT TUF), I really really like it and like it as much today as the first day I heard it, probably more in fact.

If SoE does come out (I think it will, probably before the tour goes outdoors) and if it's is as good as SoI then this period will have to go down as one of U2's most creative periods.

It's a good album. Some of it -- Troubles, EBW, the end of CR -- is great U2. It's always engaging and the storytelling is actually pretty good, and the album is about as good as we could hope for by a band with this much history. I, personally, would hope that they move in a more reflective, meditative direction as suits their age, I only find them embarrassing when they try to rawk (Volcano). But they wanted to sound alive and energetic (as suits "innocence"). And the album largely does that. California is also some kind of highlight.

All that said, the tour is astonishing. The Ireland section is as powerful and thought-through as anything they've done, and is so intellectually engaging that it lays the framework for the overwhelming emotional wallop of the "greatest hits" part of the show. There's something very interesting going on -- our new stuff is about who we were so that you can better understand who we became, and that's where they are now. It's almost like SOI (and I assume SOE) are like prequels. And that's why the show ends so euphorically -- the transcendence is earned.

I feel the same way, that I cannot accurately judge an album's impact on me and where it sits in my echelon of U2 albums until the next album is released. That said, a year on, this album has remained very strong for me, and I can't see that changing. By contrast, NLOTH faded very quickly for me after the first few months, and it's still one of the lowest ranked U2 albums for me. I listen to a handful of songs from it, but I haven't listened to NLOTH in its entirety for years. I'm one of the few around here that really doesn't care for MOS, though.

All that said, the tour is astonishing. The Ireland section is as powerful and thought-through as anything they've done, and is so intellectually engaging that it lays the framework for the overwhelming emotional wallop of the "greatest hits" part of the show. There's something very interesting going on -- our new stuff is about who we were so that you can better understand who we became, and that's where they are now. It's almost like SOI (and I assume SOE) are like prequels. And that's why the show ends so euphorically -- the transcendence is earned.

Excellent post!! :up::up:

My uncle and I had almost the same thoughts on the way out of Boston 1.

We thought they did an excellent job of showing everyone who they are, where they came from and what they've been trying to say all these years!

The tour really impacts the album big time. I feel that if Bono's accident hadn't happened and the tour had started sooner, it would've done better in terms of general publicity and charts and everything. Seeing it live finally makes me start connecting to the album, while I've been completely 'meh' towards it ever since its release. The tour is absolutely fantastic, the visuals, the storytelling, the song order, and that screen. Damn.

The tour really impacts the album big time. I feel that if Bono's accident hadn't happened and the tour had started sooner, it would've done better in terms of general publicity and charts and everything. Seeing it live finally makes me start connecting to the album, while I've been completely 'meh' towards it ever since its release. The tour is absolutely fantastic, the visuals, the storytelling, the song order, and that screen. Damn.

:up:

It's a good album. Some of it -- Troubles, EBW, the end of CR -- is great U2. It's always engaging and the storytelling is actually pretty good, and the album is about as good as we could hope for by a band with this much history. I, personally, would hope that they move in a more reflective, meditative direction as suits their age, I only find them embarrassing when they try to rawk (Volcano). But they wanted to sound alive and energetic (as suits "innocence"). And the album largely does that. California is also some kind of highlight.

Nice post. I think you made me understand (& enjoy more) the 2nd half of the show.

Wonder if things would evolve more w/ SOE songs/2016 shows (more 90's in the 2nd half).

You have been very consistent in your dislike for the album since it was released. It's amazing to see you come around, even if it's just a little.

Ironically, the live setting didn't do too much for me and I loved the album since week 1. Don't get me wrong, the songs don't fall flat but they are knocking me out they way I had hoped.

I find Volcano, California and Crystal Ballroom to be very meh and thought they would electrify the crowd (granted none were played at my show, so I'm going via YouTube).

Iris was solid as was the Miracle and (the much hated around these parts) SFS.

Ceaderwood and EBW were really good live and impressed me.

Bottom line...happy you are liking the songs.....

It's an alright album. Still probably below average as far as U2 albums go (a high standard), but it's reasonably enjoyable.

One thing I will give it credit for more than any album since Pop: it's really conceptually unified, and it gave rise to a tour that rises around that concept. Because of that, the first half of every I+E show is awesome, the songs all sound better live than in studio, and I+E isn't a greatest hits show.

To go song-by-song:

The Miracle: it's no Streets, but I really enjoy it. It gives me nostalgia for when I was discovering U2 as a teenager.

Every Breaking Wave: meh. Doesn't really interest me anymore. I really enjoyed the 360 version. I think the issue is that, fundamentally, it's a great, quiet, meditative little song. But it's no One or WOWY. But U2 threw bells and whistles onto it to make it One or WOWY, and it just came out sounding over-dramatic and a little insincere. The stripped I+E live version is better, though.

California: love it. I no longer want to apologize and say things like "it's stupid but I enjoy it for nostalgia reasons" or "it's mostly good but the Santa Barbara intro sucks". Nah. California is a great pop song and it makes me happy to listen to it. It's been the song that has had by far the most staying power for me over the past year.

Song for Someone: meh. Decent, but I wouldn't feel disappointed to never hear it again.

Iris: pretty good. Not the best song about Bono's mom, but still solid and memorable.

Volcano: uhh, okay, I guess? Nothing really grabs me or repulses me.

Raised By Wolves: similar to Volcano, except the chorus bothers me. However, it's *massively* improved live, and I wouldn't want to trade it out.

Cedarwood Road: great stuff. No complaints here.

Sleep Like A Baby Tonight: kinda boring but okay.

This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now: kinda boring but okay.

The Troubles: I loved it at first but now I think it's just decent. It feels like Love Is Blindness to me, but it's just not quite as captivating. The most recent live versions were really good. I wish that it rotated with Bad/40 as closer for the tour; One and Still Haven't Found need to go away.

You have been very consistent in your dislike for the album since it was released. It's amazing to see you come around, even if it's just a little.

Ironically, the live setting didn't do too much for me and I loved the album since week 1. Don't get me wrong, the songs don't fall flat but they are knocking me out they way I had hoped.

I find Volcano, California and Crystal Ballroom to be very meh and thought they would electrify the crowd (granted none were played at my show, so I'm going via YouTube).

Iris was solid as was the Miracle and (the much hated around these parts) SFS.

Ceaderwood and EBW were really good live and impressed me.

Bottom line...happy you are liking the songs.....

I know right? It really surprised me too.

kinda ironic that it's the other way for you.

Volcano was a huge party in Amsterdam. Does help that I love the track (yes, I even liked it when it was still Glastonbury, heard that live too). So that one is definitely a crowd pleaser. Iris was absolutely amazing live for me, especially the vocals and Edge was enjoying himself immensely while playing, hopping around, bouncing on the beat, it was great! Miracle was fun live, studio version is pretty okay too. SFS, I have found boring from the start, but live... I don't know.. it's starting to grow on me. Still nothing very big, but it's slightly above boring for me. Cedarwood I loved live, especailly with all the visuals and everything, brilliant! For EBW it's good they took the Piano version. I so loved the acoustic live version they did last tour, and the album version just doesn't work for me. It's too fast and poppy, compared to the slow and silent dramatic version I got used to and started to love last tour. Yet the piano version has the same haunting and beautiful vibe that live version had. So this made me pretty happy! :D

Raised by Wolves was okay live, not too special but not bad at all either. I like the album version save for the annoying noises like Bono's sniffing something. That ruins it for me. The rest of the song is pretty decent.

I'm gonna take a couple of days to get back down, then listen to the album again to see how it stands.

I feel much the same way as I did a year ago...easily their best since AB, both song-for-song and thematically it is a very strong work. I'm certainly intrigued to see where SOE takes us.

I'd only take out California and have Invisible open instead of Miracle. And a lesser gripe Reach me now disrupts that heart of darkness gut punch of Sleep like a baby tonight/the Troubles.

I remember watching the Apple event on my computer, and then one of my friends texted me and asked if I wanted to go shopping. I went, since I figured U2 would probably just announce a new album release date or something iPod-related and I could read about it when I got home.

Ha ha ha...

I forget if I saw it online first or if someone told me about it, but when I got home and got back on the computer to see what happened there was total pandemonium! A new U2 album without warning! It took a long time to sink in. I burned it onto a CD and listened to it that night; I really wasn't impressed with most of it at first. Usually when a new U2 album is released, I feel like I just won something on The Price Is Right, but I felt nothing.

It quickly grew on me, however, and I still carry that burned CD around in my car and listen to it on a regular basis. That was all I listened to in the car for about a month after it came out! I think it is a solid album with no real duds; "Volcano" is a little silly and "Song for Someone" is a little boring compared to the other songs, but that's as far as my complaints go.

You know how smells and songs evoke memories? I have an apple pie scented car freshener that's almost worn out, but once in a while I catch a whiff of it and it gives me the urge to listen to SOI. I smell apple pie and the opening notes of The Miracle start playing in my head and then I really want to listen to it!

Well I still love it one year later. The weakest spot for me is California. The alternate take is better but the lyrics just don't grab me like SFS. I guess I am in the minority but that is OK. As far as ranking the album I would place it 4th behind JT AB and Bomb. Very cohesive and quite introspective at times but they still know how to have fun with it.

Back
Top Bottom