The (RED) Thread - Discuss Products Only! (#2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of new items I came across on Gap.com.

gp551852-01vliv01.jpg

gp544788-00vliv01.jpg

JCOSTER said:
B7; Why don't you inquire yourself about the Dell to Red? This way you get a straight answer from those on the other end.

We will get a "straight" answer from (RED) because I forwarded the info on to them tonight so that they can directly respond in this thread to the issues that have been raised about the new (DELL)RED computers.

If (RED) wants to respond to this thread, they will do so directly here.

SHOP 'TIL IT STOPS.... :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:

We will get a "straight" answer from (RED) because I forwarded the info on to them tonight so that they can directly respond in this thread to the issues that have been raised about the new (DELL)RED computers.

Let's wait and see if they would response to this at all. :wink:

I understand butter's concerns totally and I really think one should investigate these issues. Unfortunatly, the products of most companies are produced like that. Still, people prefer to buy these products (eg cheap clothing from huge clothing lines), mostly because they have no choice, OR the choice would be a socially conscious attitude at shopping (eg Edun), but you'd have to pay higher prices.

If we always think about the circumstances that lead to most of our products being sold, we could hardly buy anything. It's RIGHT to ask questions and investigate these issues, so that things can be changed about the situation.

I agree that people who don't want to support a company like Dell because they feel their products aren't produced in accordance with ethical standards, they should just try to hellp (Red) or the Global Fund in a different way.

Went in the big Hallmark in a shopping center here and all I can say is WOW. :ohmy: More product RED than I have ever seen in one place, even Gap! The entire side of the store from the front door all the way for a long way was ALL RED. I had no idea there were so many RED greeting cards available. There must have easily been over 100 different types available. There was tons of RED stuff, very cool!

arw9797 said:
It's not very convincing that post is officially someone from Red and not someone that's posting as an alter.

I guess I should have said, the only person to have purported to be from (RED). It shouldn't be to hard to figure out though, you can send an email to the one in the post. That's a legit email. It would be interesting to get a response and know for sure. I'm sure by quoting the exact post or a link to it, it shouldn't be to hard to figure out it's legitimacy.

Last edited:
Jamila said:

Is it only YOU that can email red? Are you a representative for Interference? Are you on their payroll?

JCOSTER said:
:blahblah:

just couldn't help myself.

Come on, you know I like you and all, but that's just really rude. Why couldn't you just ignore Jamila's post and continue with the thread if it bothered you so much?

And all of you people supporting what was said...

kassandra said:
^ No, YOU are too funny :wink:

Babydoll said:

:lol: :cute:

You are so cute!

...are doing no better.

I do not think Jamila will be offended by me saying this, because it's something I know she realizes, but it is very apparent that there are some people here who do not like Jamila...or her posts, at least. However, whenever I check out these threads, it usually appears that Jamila is doing no wrong. If people who do not care for Jamila or her posts, it would be better if you would just move on with discussion instead of picking on her and starting trouble. It would just be a lot nicer for everyone.

What really frustrates me is that this is most definitely not the first time I have had to come here and say something along the lines of this. It needs to stop.

Also...

arw9797 said:

It's not very convincing that post is officially someone from Red and not someone that's posting as an alter.

For what it's worth, I checked out bnred and found no other usernames tied to that IP. Therefore, it doesn't look like an alter...although I do realize people have ways around that. But, at first glance, it looks like a unique user.

Last edited:
As for Dell...

I was planning on ordering a new computer this spring. I want a desktop, so my only (RED) option is the XPS One. Unfortunately, I am not feeling that system, there aren't enough customization options (I do realize you probably have to be sort of limited because of the design). If I'm dropping that kind of money on a computer though, I want to get exactly what I want.

Carek1230 said:
Well well well. Today I get the email. DELL and Microsoft are on the RED bandwagon. And what am I sitting here looking at, unpacking? A brand new Dell Expiron PC with printer. If only I'd waited two more weeks......TWO weeks! :madwife:

Still my new PC is beautiful. I have other RED products and continue to seek out new ones. I am not going to pack up this system to send it back. Not even the printer. I guess that is being a bit selfish but this new PC was a long time in coming and I am going to enjoy it. Besides, I am not going to get sucked into Windows VISTA, and this is what is bring promoted with the Product RED.

Anyone who is so lucky please post pics!

I don't think that's selfish at all. Buying a computer is a major investment. You should get what you want with the components that you want. It's great that RED is involved, but I don't think anyone should feel guilty if they don't buy a RED computer.

Plus, as you said, it has Vista. Has anyone heard anyting positive about Vista?

I've been working with Vista for more than a year now. I'm totally used to it and have problems getting back to another OS, like the ones we have at work. So I have no problem buying a laptop with Vista. Here, another OS is not available if you buy a new computer, you can only downgrade it, but it's not really recommendable. I guess I have to check out the details about the (Red) computers, what they can do and what they cannot do and especially the custumization options.

Bonochick said:
As for Dell...

I was planning on ordering a new computer this spring. I want a desktop, so my only (RED) option is the XPS One. Unfortunately, I am not feeling that system, there aren't enough customization options (I do realize you probably have to be sort of limited because of the design). If I'm dropping that kind of money on a computer though, I want to get exactly what I want.

Get a Mac. You'll be so much happier with a Mac over anything else.

I've had a Dell for the last six years, and I've had very few problems with it. I'm only planning to replace it because it's got a very small hard drive that's almost full because of my iPod. I also have an old Dell laptop that I bought used.

I don't mind that it's not as customizable (is that even a word...?), but one thing I do want to wait and hear from someone else about is how the speakers sound. I listen to music mostly on my computer, so I want to get one that has better than average speakers.

Maybe Apple will get on board as far as computers go. A (RED) Mac :drool:...A girl can dream.

Val said:
Maybe Apple will get on board as far as computers go. A (RED) Mac :drool:...A girl can dream.

Now that would so rock. :yes:
The company I just went to work with recently downgraded all their computers from Vista back to XP because it was more cost effective than trying to sort out all the problems with/and or train everyone on Vista.
I haven't been there long enough to find out what all went wrong, but it seriously interfered with the bottom line.
although, I was looking forward to learning the ins & outs of Vista - but it's not gonna happen now.

butter7 said:
Sorry guys, I'm really like most of the (RED) products, but computer from DELL?

Big no, no. Only because most of DELL computer's parts are from sweatshops in Taiwan and south China. Workers in these factories will have to work 12 hours a day in general, all standing. They can not sit because they' were so exhausted and once they sit down, they fall asleep. And for company like DELL, who just doesn't keep any stock, imagine whenever new products release, like the (RED) computer, big orders came in, then the first line workers would have to do overtime. And for the already working 12 hours a day workers, overtime means they have to work 15-16 hours.

And talk about the pay rate. Every key of a high standard keyboard are pressed onto the base by hand, and only sold to DELL USD$1.00 each. After cut the cost of material, how much from this $1.00 a worker can get? and how much money people pay to buy a keyboard from DELL?

Last year, some students from Hong Kong University went to these factories and released a report about illegal factories. Some of the factories in south China got shut down right after the report release, sadly though, new factories opened when the issue got out of public attention.

So, no DELL computer for me, no matter it's (RED) or (GREEN) or (YELLOW).
:mad:

There are many alternatives to this situation.

1) Buy a different computer and donate the price difference to Africa.

2) Don't buy anything at all and donate to Africa.

This whole promotion of consumerism rubs me up the wrong way to begin with and then the promotion of non fair trade products is extra yucky.

Hello – I work for Dell on corporate responsibility issues. I noticed the discussion thread here about labor practices and wanted to weigh in with some information on this important issue.

First let me clarify that Dell has manufacturing operations around the world, including facilities in China, and all of these facilities are run to the same global high workplace standards on labor practices and safety.

We of course also partner with a global supply chain. In short, we require our suppliers to implement the same high workplace standards that we do at our own facilities, and conduct third-party audits to enforce these requirements.

The supply chain of the IT industry is complex and interrelated. Dell believes that long-term change will be best driven by the entire industry, and for this reason was one of the founders of the Electronic Industry Code of Conduct. EICC has one high set of standards for suppliers.

There was a report mentioned in some of the discussion, which is a report from SACOM, a non-governmental organization dedicated to fair global labor standards. Dell considers SACOM an important stakeholder and is in regular dialogue with the organization. Any allegation that a supplier is not meeting our standards is investigated, including those in any SACOM report.

I know links are not allowed in initial posts from new members - there is information on our website about all of this if you visit the About Dell section of dell.com.

Dell strives to be a responsible corporate citizen in every aspect of our business. Thank you for raising the important issue of workplace standards, and I welcome any further questions.

Dear Queen of England,

Do you have any intention of permitting Australia to become a Republic?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

Regards

beli

:waits:

Ever since 2004, criticism about major computer brands violate labour law start spearing on the news, with notably increasing frequency.

The SACOM report released in November 2007, and caused a huge discussion on the internet. However, before the release of this report, around March 2007, it was an internet user generated list of China Sweatshops. Dell proudly taken a second place in that list.

In that list, No.1 is Foxconn, which got fire already after The Mail on Sunday released a report in June 2006. <<read here>> , and the product Foxconn made was iPod. (Any (RED) iPod or U2 iPod? Don't know...).

No.2 on this list is Dell factory in Xiamen.

Since the No.1 Foxconn found a way out from the struggle, I believe Dell would certainly will.

Actually what upset me the most is not that Dell or iPod are made from sweatshops, but the two brands are partner of (RED), which means to be a good cause. :madspit:

I don't worry that much how Dell react to the SACOM report, all I wanted to know is what (RED) would react to the report.

PS,

BryantatDell, I personally don't believe Dell could make any difference at all. Improving labour condition costs money, and that would pull up the computer price immediately. Don't think Dell would risk losing its market share and shrinking profit. Prove I was wrong.

Last edited:
BryantatDell said:
Hello – I work for Dell on corporate responsibility issues. I noticed the discussion thread here about labor practices and wanted to weigh in with some information on this important issue.

First let me clarify that Dell has manufacturing operations around the world, including facilities in China, and all of these facilities are run to the same global high workplace standards on labor practices and safety.

We of course also partner with a global supply chain. In short, we require our suppliers to implement the same high workplace standards that we do at our own facilities, and conduct third-party audits to enforce these requirements.

The supply chain of the IT industry is complex and interrelated. Dell believes that long-term change will be best driven by the entire industry, and for this reason was one of the founders of the Electronic Industry Code of Conduct. EICC has one high set of standards for suppliers.

There was a report mentioned in some of the discussion, which is a report from SACOM, a non-governmental organization dedicated to fair global labor standards. Dell considers SACOM an important stakeholder and is in regular dialogue with the organization. Any allegation that a supplier is not meeting our standards is investigated, including those in any SACOM report.

I know links are not allowed in initial posts from new members - there is information on our website about all of this if you visit the About Dell section of dell.com.

Dell strives to be a responsible corporate citizen in every aspect of our business. Thank you for raising the important issue of workplace standards, and I welcome any further questions.

Do you have contact info on how you can be reached in private?

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I've had a Dell for the last six years, and I've had very few problems with it. I'm only planning to replace it because it's got a very small hard drive that's almost full because of my iPod.

Get an external hard drive to back up your music to, then that will free up more space on your laptop, plus it's always good to back up externally in case something happens with the laptop (stolen or crashes). It will save you a lot of headaches...trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom