Bono Undergoes Surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the news Bono mot and domo-kun! :wave: I can just image how heart-breaking this must be for Bono!! :sad: But Bono, if you ever get to read this, please concentrate on getting yourself better and I'm sure the US concert dates will be rescheduled soon! :yes:

The whole situation, besides being in pain and all, must be really devastating for Bono right now :hug:

As expected, Glastonbury has also been cancelled.

The part of the statement that upset me the most was the thing about paralysis in his lower left leg or something. That is really scary.

I hope he is feeling better really soon and I can wait till next year for my shows.

I saw on U2.com the shows are postponed till 20 june. I think it´s toooo soon to come back on stage. I hope he will not do it. First he should get well completely :hug:

I don't think we'll see shows in Europe. Bono won't be fit anough in only 9-10 weeks. His recovery is what counts most right now.

Following news of Bono's recuperation period from surgery, Glastonbury Festival have confirmed that the band won't be able to perform their headline slot next month. Bono and Michael Eavis of Glastonbury spoke by phone this morning.

Said Bono: 'I'm heartbroken. We really wanted to be there to do something really special - we even wrote a song especially for the Festival.'

Said Michael Eavis: 'It was obvious from our telephone conversation that U2 are hugely disappointed. Clearly, they were looking forward to playing the Pyramid Stage as much as we were looking forward to watching them. At this point, we have no comment to make about possible replacements for U2's Friday night slot. Instead, we would simply like to send Bono our very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.'

I don't think we'll see shows in Europe. Bono won't be fit anough in only 9-10 weeks. His recovery is what counts most right now.

I know nothing about having surgery of this magnitude but if the experts reckon he'll need rest for a minimum of 8 weeks (i.e. mid-July) there is still time for him to rest a little more before the tour starts in Europe (August 8th).

But of course, he would need time to rehearse properly and if they are afraid of going out on the road underprepared (Popmart) again, only then do I see a reason for canceling the whole tour of 2010 if he's in good enough shape.

I suppose that it could go either way (more rest or not that is) and I only wish Bono will rest until he is >100% fit for fight - I'll wait :pray:.

It really all depends on how quickly Bono heals from this serious surgery, coz some heal faster than others! Let's just hope Bono doesn't start to over do things too soon!! :uhoh: Although I'm sure Ali will keep him in line!!! :wink:

Thanks for the news updates, it's a relief to hear some news at last. Poor Bono! My girlfriend had sciatica, and she was in agony with it.. so I can't even imagine how much "severe compression of the sciatic nerve" must hurt. Wishing him a speedy recovery! :heart:

Last edited:

From what I know ( and I know it from someone very close to the band)the band strongly believe that the european leg won't be postponed. They quite positive about it.
This was a major surgery but Bono is doing much better now. He feels much better and stronger than the doctors suspected he would. I guess it must be a power of all the prayers and well-wishing coming from every part of the world:)

As you all say- the most important thing now is Bono's recovery. But just wanted to say that the whole band including Bono really believes hat european tour will take place as planed.

(Please, don't attack me like ' yeah sure, what can you know' ;) If you don't want to believe me, just don't ;) I just felt like sharing a bit better news with you would be a good thing to do now)

And .... Bono is very strong minded and .... very stubborn.
I think he will do anything to get in shape.
He's obviously been touring with back issues, and pain this year. And didn't miss a single night.:|
What a man.

And .... Bono is very strong minded and .... very stubborn.
I think he will do anything to get in shape.
He's obviously been touring with back issues, and pain this year. And didn't miss a single night.:|
What a man.

Yes...Let's only hope that he is not too stubborn. I mean- I hope he won't risk his health. He should take as much time as necessary... But as said before- he and the band believe that the european dates won't be postponed.

I'm glad he is doing well. He shouldn't have the tour on his mind right. He should just focus on his recovery.

And faith is a strong thing. I'm not a believer, but I know its very , very strong.

He shouldn't have the tour on his mind right. He should just focus on his recovery.

Well, this is my opinion too...But he sure does have the tour on his mind... He loves to be on the stage, he loves his fans...he is born rock-star..;)
I only hope he will be patient enough and takes as much time as necessary...

From what I know ( and I know it from someone very close to the band)the band strongly believe that the european leg won't be postponed. They quite positive about it.
This was a major surgery but Bono is doing much better now. He feels much better and stronger than the doctors suspected he would. I guess it must be a power of all the prayers and well-wishing coming from every part of the world:)

As you all say- the most important thing now is Bono's recovery. But just wanted to say that the whole band including Bono really believes hat european tour will take place as planed.

(Please, don't attack me like ' yeah sure, what can you know' ;) If you don't want to believe me, just don't ;) I just felt like sharing a bit better news with you would be a good thing to do now)

I hope you're right, but on the other hand I am worried he might go on stage too early.

I'm so glad to hear he'll be OK! I'm sorry to hear that he feels he's let us all down though. Silly Bono, we care more about your well-being than anything! Hopefully he will focus on recovering 100% before he tries to do anything.

I'm just glad that Bono is doing well :) ♥ And, B, don't worry about us fans, we love you and our main concern is your health, not the tour :) ♥ ♥

I couldn´t sleep 2 nights...I can´t learn for my exams...can´t focus on nothing but think of Bono...my heart is beating like mad and I feel nervous all the day. It sounds crazy but I really can´t stop it :huh:
I know he feels bad so I do to...
and it brings me down that I can´t help him :sad:

I couldn´t sleep 2 nights...I can´t learn for my exams...can´t focus on nothing but think of Bono...my heart is beating like mad and I feel nervous all the day. It sounds crazy but I really can´t stop it :huh:
I know he feels bad so I do to...
and it brings me down that I can´t help him :sad:

Well, I can sleep but I can't learn because I'm thinking of Bono all day :sad: I can't stop it too :sigh: Our poor Bono.

It's so good to finally have some news. I've been worried about him all weekend.

He needs to not worry about the fans or the tour. He will of course, because that's the kind of man he is. I just hope that he takes it easy for the time being and follows doctor's orders.

WE LOVE YOU BONO! :heart:

Sorry if this was posted already but I just received it on Twitter

Yeah Im sad about the tour but Im even more SAD that Bono think he is dissapointing/incoviencing his fans.
We definatley need to get this message to hime that we LOVE him and that his health is WAY MORE IMPORTANT
LOTS OF LOVE 4 U BONO!!:hug:

Citing Bono's back injury, U2 postpones its American tour
May 25, 2010 | 7:39 am

PM.jpg

After hurting his back during concert rehearsals in Munich, Germany, Bono and U2 have been forced to postpone the sixteen dates on the band's summer American tour, including the two dates at Angel Stadium on June 6 and June 7, the band announced Tuesday morning. The band also canceled its highly anticipated performance at the Glastonbury music festival.

The band's manager, Paul McGuinness, explained Bono's decision via U2.com. "Our biggest and I believe best tour has been interrupted and we're all devastated," he said. "For a performer who lives to be on stage, this is more than a blow. He feels robbed of the chance to do what he does best and feels like he has badly let down the band and their audience. Which is of course nonsense. His concerns about more than a million ticket buyers whose plans have been turned upside down, we all share, but the most important thing right now is that Bono make a full recovery. We're working as fast as we can with Live Nation to reschedule these dates."

Bono underwent emergency surgery on Friday, said the singer's doctor, Dr. Muller Wohlfahrt: "Bono suffered severe compression of the sciatic nerve. On review of his MRI scan, I realized there was a serious tear in the ligament and a herniated disc, and that conservative treatment would not suffice. I recommended Bono have emergency spine surgery with Professor Tonn at Munich's LMU University Hospital on Friday."

The statement continues:

Professor Tonn, who carried out the operation, added, "Bono was referred to me by Dr. Muller Wohlfahrt late last week with a sudden onset disease. He was already in severe pain with partial paralysis in the lower leg. The ligament surrounding the disc had an 8mm tear and during surgery we discovered fragments of the disc had traveled into the spinal canal. This surgery was the only course of treatment for full recovery and to avoid further paralysis. Bono is now much better, with complete recovery of his motor deficit. The prognosis is excellent but to obtain a sustainable result, he must now enter a period of rehabilitation."

Live Nation, which is promoting the band's "U2 360" tour, have confirmed that the band will reschedule the dates for 2011.

-- Randall Roberts

Photo: U2 manager Paul McGuinness, left, and Dr. Muller Wohlfahrt. Credit: U2.com

Back
Top Bottom