Boehner meets Bono at meeting on Capitol Hill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is one

85741713.jpg

Bono in Washington!

April 01, 2009
Categories: Sightings

85741713.jpg

Celebs Storm The Hill

It was a day of celebs on the Hill yesterday. But one celeb who didn’t warn the media beforehand was that stalwart activist Bono.

In typical Bono style, he made a clandestine visit to the Hill for a day jam-packed with back-to-back meetings. (Something like seven hours’ worth.)

According to ONE’s spokesman, Bono “focused on supporting the president’s budget on development issues and the ... G-20 meeting and the Kerry/Lugar amendment.”

ONE isn’t saying whom he met with — but we hear White House officials, Speaker Pelosi, the Congressional Black Caucus, the Progressive Caucus, Sen. John Kerry, all the typical Democrats and then, of course, token Republicans, Minority Leader John Boehner--and Kevin Mccarthy, Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Chris Smith, Ilena Ros Lehtinen, John Boozman, Mike Conaway and even Sen. Bob Corker. (Bono told Boehner that they have a friend in common in John Kasich and impressed those there with his “Southern-fried American drawl” while imitating Rep. Sonny Callahan.)

Bradley Whitford — in town with Martin Sheen and Richard Schiff — “is the much bigger get,” several staffers told Shenan yesterday.

But not all celebrities who come to the Hill testify or lobby members. John O’Hurley — in town while he’s in “Chicago” — had lunch with old pal Rep. David Dreier in the members’ dining room, very California low-key.

With Simpson, It’s Never Boring

“‘People say I’m the life of the party, ’cause I tell a joke or two.’ I was going to complain to Chairman Dicks that ‘I’ve been cheated, been mistreated’ and ask him, ‘When will I be loved?’

“But, Linda, your music is so prolific that there’s no way I could possibly work all of your lyrics into my statement in the short time allotted to me this morning. However, let me assure my friends that as a member of the minority party, I do know a thing or two about ‘crying like a rainstorm and howling like the wind.’

“In all seriousness, it’s wonderful to have each of our witnesses here today to share their insights and (I hope) their music. In closing, let me say this: ‘I don’t know much, but I know I love’ the arts, ‘and that may be all I need to know.’”

This was the result of Bono's day yesterday on Capitol Hill:

Victory | ONE

The Senate just passed the Kerry-Lugar Amendment by voice vote restoring all $4 billion to the International Affairs Budget!

Once again, ONE members’ hard work, solid organization, and tireless efforts have helped create real change and political will. Thank you for all you do, and take a minute to give yourselves a big pat on the back.

While today’s victory was huge, the fight against poverty continues.:applaud:

----------------------------------------------------------------

At the same time Bono was on Capital Hill, this appeared in the ONE Blog :

ONE Volunteers Step Up! | ONE

:bono::heart::heart::hug:

Bono, stop cutting your hair :madwife:

I love his hair short, it looked so lovely recently, but not THAT short.
OK, still enough time to grow it a little before the tour starts. No more encounters with politicians until then, that's bad for his hair. :wink:

This was the result of Bono's day yesterday on Capitol Hill:

Victory | ONE

The Senate just passed the Kerry-Lugar Amendment by voice vote restoring all $4 billion to the International Affairs Budget!

Once again, ONE members’ hard work, solid organization, and tireless efforts have helped create real change and political will. Thank you for all you do, and take a minute to give yourselves a big pat on the back.

While today’s victory was huge, the fight against poverty continues.:applaud:

----------------------------------------------------------------

At the same time Bono was on Capital Hill, this appeared in the ONE Blog :

ONE Volunteers Step Up! | ONE

:bono::heart::heart::hug:

:applaud: AWESOME!!

April 01, 2009

Bradley Whitford — in town with Martin Sheen and Richard Schiff — “is the much bigger get,” several staffers told Shenan yesterday.

’”
I love the West WIng... I was jealous of my cousin last night!!
She works in DC, and her workplace sponsored a reception last night in which Martin Sheen and Bradley Whitford (He is so adorable) and Richard Schiff attended, she was able to meet them all and spoke to them individually! They were there trying to shine a light on the Employee Free Choice Act; supporting the unions and the working men and women of this country!! They are class acts all the way!
Martin Sheen was so gracious and funny; here is a bit of what she reported today after the event!!...

He stressed that the Employee Free Choice Act is NOT a lost cause, but it is a very tough fight with all the money and lies from the powerful corporations and business lobby. It was also nice to hear him say how there are only two places outside family where the words “brother” and “sister” are used with great meaning, and that’s in church and in unions. He said, “It is a beautiful term and I’m very proud to be considered a ‘brother and sister’ with this gathering.”

Lastly, he mentioned the guy who arrives at St. Peter’s gate and is asked to show his scars.

“I don’t have any,” the man says. “What a pity,” says St. Peters. “You mean there was nothing worth fighting for?”

Beautiful!

I ofcourse would have just died if she got to meet Bono.. I told her to get him to attend the next event at her work so I can fly down and meet him!! hahaha! BUT...Bono is a ONE issue activist though hahah, so that ain't gonna happen but I can dream!

McMahon chills with Bono
Posted by Tom Wrobleski April 01, 2009 2:17PM
Categories: Congress
Democratic House freshmen had a special guest at their regular weekly meeting with Speaker Nancy Pelosi today: Bono, lead singer of U2.

While it was exciting to meet him, Rep. Mike McMahon (D-Staten Island/Brooklyn) said Bono carried a serious message about the importance of U.S. foreign aid.

McMahon said that Bono, who advocates on behalf Third World countries, told lawmakers that foreign aid is the way that many people in Africa, Southeast Asia and South America come into contact with the U.S.

"He said he wanted to make sure we kept the funding at least at current levels, if not increase it," said McMahon. "I think he's absolutely right."

McMahon said that foreign aid makes up just .3 percent or so of the U.S. budget.

McMahon said that he and his fellow members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee are also looking to relieve the military of some of the responsibility for distributing the aid. McMahon said some in Washington, including his old New York colleague, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, want State Department diplomats to have a more "robust" role in doling out the aid.

"It's something we've started to work on," he said, indicating that there is support within the Pentagon for doing so as well.

McMahon said he did get a few moments one-on-one with Bono, and invited him to Staten Island. Bono wouldn't commit, but said he would be in the vicinity when U2 plays the Meadowlands in September.

He said Bono also asked him where in Ireland his family comes from (County Clare, McMahon told him); McMahon also posed for a picture with the singer.

"I was hanging with Bono," McMahon said, sounding just a little bit star-struck.

Back
Top Bottom