what does whos gonna ride your wild horses mean to you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2 cutiepie

The Fly
im finding it hard to understand what whos gonna ride your wild horses is about.
its one of my favourite songs so i was just wondering wat eveyone thinks

please help

thanx

Yeah, I think it's about a somewhat toxic relationship. Like Mad said, who's gonna tame you?

I also think there's a little bit of 'you're gonna have a hard time finding someone who's going to put up with your shit when I'm gone'.

Yeah, I think it's about a somewhat toxic relationship. Like Mad said, who's gonna tame you?

I also think there's a little bit of 'you're gonna have a hard time finding someone who's going to put up with your shit when I'm gone'.

I tend to agree, but with a slightly different take on what part of the relationship is 'toxic'. I've always thought of it written from the point of view of someone in love with a person that's no good for them, after the object of their affection has left the relationship.

If it please the jury, exhibits A & B: :D
"You're dangerous, 'cause you're honest" (i.e. someone who doesn't have any kind of inhibitions)
"You're dangerous, you don't know what you want" (someone who jumps from interest to interest, be it person, hobby, job, opinions, etc.)

"You left my heart empty as a vacant lot, for any spirit to haunt" (the 'you're-no-good-for-me-but-I'm-crushed-that-you're-gone' part. :)

I tend to agree, but with a slightly different take on what part of the relationship is 'toxic'. I've always thought of it written from the point of view of someone in love with a person that's no good for them, after the object of their affection has left the relationship.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. And I definitely agree that it's disguised. I never caught on to how bitter the song really is until a certain "toxic" someone left me. :wink:

This and Ultraviolet seem to speak a lot about human nature relating to love.

Exactly what they say about it, I'm not entirely sure.

But I :heart: Achtung Baby lyrics.

Jealousy after the (female) in the lyric left the narrator of the song.

I would agree that jealousy is a big motive in the song.
All these WHO questions are part of the central theme: a guy wondering who will take his place at his ex-lover's side.

It reminds me of a Spanish Girl I was at Uni with called Consuelo.

It was her favourite song.

There was a live version of it on the zoo radio programme I taped off BBC Radio 1, which strangely doesn't appear on the versions knocking about online..

I dubbed it off on tape for her, - though when I recorded it, the reception was horrible and there were loads of hisses and interference.

she loved it. :-]

Unrequited love for a bit of a bad girl. It’s over now, he’s jealous, but he knows as well that it wasn’t good and she wasn’t into it to the degree he was.

There’s been a long standing rumour – since well before the time of the internets – that it’s about an affair one of the band members had. I’d say either it was, and Bono has written away from it by the final version, or it’s not, and he’s written towards that as a fictitious inspiration. Like a lot of Achtung, it’s very easy to see real trouble there, but you never know where fiction and fact blur and separate on that album.

I remember reading several times also that it was about an affair one of the band member's had. Anybody remember which bandmember it was? I know these would be rumors of course...not actual fact just speculation...Anyone?

I can't either. I was thinking maybe it was Adam. Just because they use the word "affair" could just mean a love affair. Or maybe Edge when he was separated before he got together with Morleigh.

I wouldn't say it's jealousy exactly, but more like longing: a rather typical feeling, post-breakup, of wanting to know what and who is going to be in your ex's life, who's going to replace you. I think it's a twinge of jealousy mixed with well-wishes, curiosity, nostalgia, regret...

Also, the last line (tame the heart of thee) implies that he never really won her heart, so he's wondering if someone will eventually succeed in making her fall in love with him, and who that would be, again with a mix of jealousy, curiosity, regret, etc.

I think WGRYWH is a very bitter song. It's basically saying "Hey, you left me here and I'm broken and it doesn't look like you care. I give you everything I had and nobody else will match up to that for you." I think it's basically driving home the point that it's their loss... when really loss is not a one way street.

Perhaps because I am a bit "older" I think its about who will take the place of the "father" when thinking about his daughter. As a parent, one wonders who can take care of this person who can be a bit "wild" especially through the teenage years. Who will take the place of the caretaker, parent, and love, adore this child as much as he? He knows he has to let go to her future love and is wondering who could that possibly be?
Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom