Songs about Cities and City life!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fluffy123

The Fly
Just a little debate here, as I'm about to start a study into one of U2's songs which relates specifically to a city...

Therefore, I was ust wondering what everyone thought were U2 songs that were specifically related to a city, citylife or a place. I'm thinking away from the obvious ones such as 'Miami' and 'New York' here....and even 'Angel of Harlem', 'Heartland' too.I'd be interested to see what songs you personally have interpreted about being about a city, or a place, and why you think this is in terms of the lyrical and musical content.

I'd be interested to read what you think!

Hawkmoon 269 was supposedly about the town Hawkmoon, North Dakota

LemonMacPhisto said:
Hawkmoon 269 was supposedly about the town Hawkmoon, North Dakota

At least, that's one of the myths out there. Though I read something that there's actually no such place as Hawkmoon ... :shrug:

One Tree Hill is a place in Auckland, New Zealand (I've been there, before the one tree was attacked), though the song itself more relates to Maori mythology relating to the hill.

Van Diemen's Land is rather obviously about Tasmania, Australia.

my city song is "running to stand still": it's full of the desperation and sadness belonging to a town (Dublin) which is getting bigger and where a lot of people go down the tunnel of drugs. In the song, Bono talks about the place he saw when a kid and of the destruction and desperation drug brings.

Oh, how about the city mentioned in Surrender? I think the lyrics in that one are pretty obvious.

Back
Top Bottom