Revelation 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theweb

Babyface
This one has come around again with the Sept. 23 Revelation 12 sign craze on You Tube, so it's worth another mention since it's been 17 years and we're still stuck in that moment somehow.

It was the release of All That You Can't Leave Behind.. a nice enough title about being born again, rapture and education policy. And Bono was dropping clues suggesting that the album cover had a Bible Chapter and Verse on the cover.. it was God's phone number he said. And being the true supplanter he is, he knew that most would look at the J33:3 and think they solved it.. but the lessons of 'everything you know is wrong' weren't over.

First, the motif itself was lifted from Joy Division cover for the "Peel Sessions".. a kind of genius, but the Revelation 12 clues are laid out in the details. This story about a woman being with man-child, and a dragon waiting to catch up the moment of birth (like China right in front of you). Of course, the woman is flown away to safety, etc. A story everyone knows.

And so who knows this story better than the stars of it.. U2: The Dragon-Lady.. See Bono on his Palm Pilot he just invested in.. and then the Woman dressed up like a Christmas Tree and the little star that goes on top...

Listening to this album, spinning at 33:3 tonight, like I haven't for a long time...

1st you must figure out where to post these threads of yours. This had absolutely nothing to do with lyrics, so not in here.

2nd you must share with us what you are on so that we know what to take in order to translate.

Hey Bevis, so it's got everything to do with the lyrics. From the opening salvos of love appearing from nothing, shooting up through the stoney ground, to "no room to rent in the inn...", to the Great Dragon (China) right in front of you, to the Days of Noah, Jose and Maria... no destination in this place, but the other place.. a moment of arrival and departure.. like a regular day at Charles de Gaulle, going round and round the baggage carousel.. headed for the big apple.. thinking about the beginning, singing about the end.. on 1/1/2000.

The real question is - what mechanism keeps you from understanding what you're favorite band is doing? Maybe you're just trying to get some sleep, but I'm guessing that with 40k+ posts you've created this idea of "U2 fan" as your identity and anything different than your version threatens that. I can understand that, I've got an apartment on this star myself. I guess that's where I lose you.

I think if you tune into the frequency that these songs are meant to be listened to on, you'll hear it. Or maybe you're just not invited.. seems some aren't... it looks like there is going to be a mechanism of separation (with a big beautiful door in it)... and somebody is gonna pay for it.. that I can tell you...

Last edited:
Hey Bevis, so it's got everything to do with the lyrics. From the opening salvos of love appearing from nothing, shooting up through the stoney ground, to "no room to rent in the inn...", to the Great Dragon (China) right in front of you, to the Days of Noah, Jose and Maria... no destination in this place, but the other place.. a moment of arrival and departure.. like a regular day at Charles de Gaulle, going round and round the baggage carousel.. headed for the big apple.. thinking about the beginning, singing about the end.. on 1/1/2000.

The real question is - what mechanism keeps you from understanding what you're favorite band is doing? Maybe you're just trying to get some sleep, but I'm guessing that with 40k+ posts you've created this idea of "U2 fan" as your identity and anything different than your version threatens that. I can understand that, I've got an apartment on this star myself. I guess that's where I lose you.

I think if you tune into the frequency that these songs are meant to be listened to on, you'll hear it. Or maybe you're just not invited.. seems some aren't... it looks like there is going to be a mechanism of separation (with a big beautiful door in it)... and somebody is gonna pay for it.. that I can tell you...

Your original post was talking about the album cover. You went vaguely into the lyrics of a couple of songs.

So was this about the album cover, BD, or the album in general? And do you really believe it ties into the idiotic, non-biblical based R12 theories?

I like your writing style for the most part, you have moments of great, but then you have moments that are so detached you have to wonder if the greats are a fluke, or you just haven't figured out how to paint a complete picture?

Your original post was talking about the album cover. You went vaguely into the lyrics of a couple of songs.

So was this about the album cover, BD, or the album in general? And do you really believe it ties into the idiotic, non-biblical based R12 theories?

I like your writing style for the most part, you have moments of great, but then you have moments that are so detached you have to wonder if the greats are a fluke, or you just haven't figured out how to paint a complete picture?

Besides Love and cheap cosmetics.. I believe that scripts turn into movies that play out before rows of eyes in a dark room.. and the audience just goes along for the ride. I mean, what else are you going to do with all the fiat currency on a Saturday night? Or do you not know what Zoo Station was about either? Or the Garland of twelve stars broadcasting on the cover of it's satellite album?

If you get out of your own way, and just listen, you should be able to hear ATYCLB rhyming with R12. It's the Sunday version of what Achtung, Baby/Zooropa were getting into the night before.

But if you've got complete picture of how you're seeing it, maybe I can create a vaccine from that.

Back
Top Bottom