Red Hill Mining Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FelipeVox

Acrobat
Sorry, I haven?t heard anything about this song... But I readed the lyrics, of course...

Does it have the same meaning of I Still Haven?t Found What I?m Looking For?
Look at this lines,
I?m hanging on... You?re all that?s left to hold on to
It seems he?s talking about God!

And where?s Red Hill? Could it be a metaphor for a battlefield??

OK, this song is about... ??

I always imagined it as being just as decribed, a town of poor hard working people, with nothing left to hold onto. It's haunting and beautiful. I love it :heart: Regardless of the real meaning, it's fabulous.

yeah..i have sometimes saw it as a song about faith too....actually..the red hill in the song could be analagous to the the "hill" in with a shout...

This is one meaning that I found in a file on my computer: 'In the 1980's, under the direction of Margaret Thatcher, the National Coal Board instituted a policy to close down uneconomic mines throughout Great Britain, triggering a devastating nation wide coal miner's strike. "This song is about the miner's strike but what I'm interested in is seeing in the newspapers or on television that another thousand had lost their jobs. What you don't read about are those people who go home and have families they're trying to sustain and children to bring up," Bono said in 1987. "In many instances, the families broke under the pressure." '

theres a RED HILL down here in australia, i get this really good feeling when i drive through the place cause its the name of a u2 song....

Heh, and there's a Miami here on the Gold Coast. Just a shame that I hate it ... both the song and the suburb.

Back
Top Bottom