Question about Please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
So it's about political troubles in N. Ireland, right?

But why does it end
"it's what lovers steal"... etc - it almost seems it turns personal and becomes about a relationship. At least that's how i understood it.

Yeah! I think that when Bono writes songs he writes them and he puts didnt subject matter into them. The song is about N. Ireland but I think that it could also be taken as a song about a relationship.:yes:

that's a plus. that addition. you CAN look at it either way (relationship or n. ire). if you look at it from the n. ire. position it makes the song better a thousand fold. because it DOES give that personal element. like, this war (if you could have even called it that) was personal. lovers, the most intimate of relationships stealing from one another and from others...i don't know, i've always taken that part as the deepest cut in the song like....a big bitchslap in the face of everyone who bought into the protestant/catholic hateage bullshit.

For me most of U2 songs, seem to be about one particular thing and in the next moment the thought is blown away and there's a completely different meaning behind it........The personal and the 'public' side of Please always made me think, but I gave up trying to figure it out, because I don't know the right answer anyway. :(

BTW: U2girl, you were the one with whom I had sort of a misunderstanding yesterday, right? Just wanted to thank you for saying that all is okay. I thought already that this stupid joke would destroy everything for me here. :D

FallingStar said:

BTW: U2girl, you were the one with whom I had sort of a misunderstanding yesterday, right? Just wanted to thank you for saying that all is okay. I thought already that this stupid joke would destroy everything for me here. :D

Yes, and it's not even worth mentioning. :)

Back
Top Bottom