Out Of Control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia612

Refugee
I have a question about the lyric to Out of Control... the lines:

'I fought fate/There's blood on the garden gate/The man said 'childhood, it's in his childhood'...' Is this referring to Bono's mother's death? If so, who is 'the man'? Thanks if you can help!

Hmm, i never thought about this line in particular, but...

I think it could be about Iris' death and that from this point Bono started fighting against that order of growing up, getting married and dying - as they did in the lypton village. So he fought against fate, the blood could be meant metphorically standing for things he did wong and the man is just somebody judging him and going like, it's not his fault, it's all just his childhood...

I don't know....

I've always thought of a garden gate as being a symbolism for innocence, and this could be referring to Bono looking at his life up to that point (Bono has said that 'Out of Control' was written on his 17 birthday when he suddenly realized that he was moving from childhood to adulthood.). Bono writes of trying to fight the very fates that sometimes befall us, as such the case of losing of his mother at 14. So Bono refers to the garden gate of childhood innocence as painful in his case, and that he realizes that this is his lot in life, and that this feeling of 'out of control' stems from not being able to stop that which is painful, that which would change the course of his early life forever. The 'out of control' that Bono could be referring to could also be the 'troubles' that many children experienced in the early 70's in Ireland, particularly Belfast, and how in an instant of violence, their childhood was lost.

Chris

I'm not sure... Didn't he also say that it was about realising that the two biggest events in your life, birth and death, are completely out of your control? Though I like your idea, FallingStar... that would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom