M. WAYS changed lyric in Best Of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
the last line in the second verse is change on the Best Of. anyone know why? or what exactly the lryic is? i can't quite make it out.

On the AB album version, the lyric is "She sees the man inside the child" and on the Best of version, it was changed to "And no question, she knows why"

do you know why the change? was it just a version that was recorded and considered back in the AB days? why would they select it for the Best Of?

U2 moves in mysterious ways...

Another change was in "Lady with the spinning head".
In the One b-side version, Bono sings
mean old man
took away my car
those credit guys
they've got the pover

While in "best of b-sides" he says
whenever I'm blue
she'll cut away my blues
she's the one
in Italian shoes

It's tricky!
And it's the reason why I'm called Lady Luck -- because I wear Italian shoes...

marik said:
do you know why the change? was it just a version that was recorded and considered back in the AB days? why would they select it for the Best Of?

Because they can? :shrug:

I have no idea. I guess they do it sometimes because a lyric works better, or they think it fits the song better.

or maybe the changes comes from previous versions of the songs...

Another little chanhe
One's "lepers in your head" becomes "lepers in your bed" when U2 perform it live

not to mention the live version od "desire",
where
"the fever when I'm beside her" becomes "And the fever when I'm inside her"...

Check out the "Mysterious Way" single. All 5 mixes on that have different lyrics. Or most of them do, I can't remember.

Another notable change is in "With or Without You" live and Bono goes:

And we shine like stars in the summer night, shine like stars in the stars in the summer night, one heart one...*i 4got the rest*

Yeah, on the Mysterious Ways single he says "She wants you, you don't know why" instead of "She's a wave, she turn the tide" (or whatever that album lyric is).

I noticed this too and I have no idea why!!

Where Bono normally sings,

"She's the wave
She turns the tide
She sees the man
Inside the child"

On the "Best of," it sounds like he is saying,

"She's the wave
She turns the tide
And the question
She knows why"

The video on the "Best of" dvd has the altered lyric as well.

Interestingly, in the Complete U2 Digital Box Set on iTunes, the "Best of" version is actually the "Achtung" version, with the original lyrics.

Also interestingly, the remixes in the box set (from the "Mysterious Ways" single) has what sounds like these lyrics instead:

"She walks in
You dont know why
She sees the man
Inside the child"

Odd. I have no idea what the significance (if any) could be, though. These lyrics are all less good than the original verse.

You might also want to add

'We move through miracle days' to the M Ways list.

Which appears from time to time in the last chorus.

lady luck said:
or maybe the changes comes from previous versions of the songs...

Another little chanhe
One's "lepers in your head" becomes "lepers in your bed" when U2 perform it live

Bono changes the lyrics a lot live. It would take forever to list all the modifications and additions he has made. Though the line of One you cited was also changed to "Did you come here to play Jesus? I did."

Back
Top Bottom