Lyrical Evolution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seconds

The Fly
What do you think of the way Bono's lyrics have evolved over the years? Do you think his lyrics have improved for the most past since the Joshua Tree? Or do you think he's being more simplistic and to the point now? Me personally, I love ATYCLB's lyrics. But I don't think they come close to the emotional, spiritual and poetic meaning of what we found in Achtung Baby.

i think Bonos greatest asset is the subtle use of metaphor
...sometimes this has been taken to extreme (eg playboy mansion, where metaphor itself is a metaphor), but IMO it is fantastic. Bono is a poet, and the lyrical approaches adopted have generally improved over the years, which is to be expected with age i guess.

I think the language Bono is using now is as good as ever, although the inspiration behind it changes and co-exists with the musical styles. We know about the broad lyrical and musical influences behind achtung baby and those of atyclb, and obviously the emotional and spiritual influences are different, thus shaping the variations in lyrical approach adopted.

I think another thing to consider is Bono's use of the "throw-away" lyrics or the somewhat cheesyness of them. The great thing about them is that they really really work. Especially in Achtung Baby. I mean who else can give us "Baby, baby Baby light my way" and get away with it. Sounds like something the New Kids on the Block sang about. But Bono interlaces them with brilliant massive metaphoric lyrics to balance it all out.
"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
"Well you lied to me cause I asked you to, baby can we still be friends"

These are more examples of throw away lyrics that seem to work in the highly metaphoric Achtung Baby.

But on ATYCLB I think Bono became a little less poetic and more to the point. We no longer get the ambiguity of a "Bad" or "One" instead we have a tell it like it is sense in the songs:
"See the world in green and blue...See the canyons broken by clouds"
"The heart is a bloom.."
"I will not forsake the colours that you bring, nights you filled with fireworks.."
"A singing bird in an open cage who will only fly for freedom"

These are pure beauty. Less Metaphoric and more filled with Imagery. But theres still Throw aways especially in "New York"
"Irish Italians Jews and Hispanics Religious nuts Political fanatics"
Come on! There's nothing in there that we didn't already know. But these lyrics are intertwined with a haunting sound that is filled with rich imagery. The sound itself describes New York City to me than any of the words.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Bono is the Metaphor Man. Even in everyday speech, and this judging from the interviews, he is very poetic. It's a gift indeed.

foray

One of the things I really admire about Bono's writing is that so often I listen to his lyrics and have that feeling of "Damn, I wish I wrote that!" because he has a way of putting words to thoughts/feelings I can never find the words for. His lyrics are the reason why I never get tired of listening to U2 albums. Everytime I listen, I'm trying to reinterpret what he might have meant. (It also makes me realize how good I am at writing very bad poetry.)

Back
Top Bottom