Love Rescue Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellay

Refugee
On the U2mol website it mentions this about Love Rescue Me.

"Bono formed most of the lyrics to this song when he had a dream about Bob Dylan. The song was for him. Dylan originally contributed lyrics for the song, but later withdrew them."

Is that why a whole section from the song is in the rattle and hum booklet, but not in the song itself.?

I also notice that when they sang it Live during the Lovetown tour it was performed with different lyrics to the recorded version.

anyone know anything about this, and why did dylan withdraw them in the first place?

Ellay said:
On the U2mol website it mentions this about Love Rescue Me.

"Bono formed most of the lyrics to this song when he had a dream about Bob Dylan. The song was for him. Dylan originally contributed lyrics for the song, but later withdrew them."

Is that why a whole section from the song is in the rattle and hum booklet, but not in the song itself.?

Yes, I suppose that could be an explanation.
I dunno why Dylan (or Bono) changed his mind.

I also notice that when they sang it Live during the Lovetown tour it was performed with different lyrics to the recorded version.

anyone know anything about this, and why did dylan withdraw them in the first place?

Never heard it live, so I can't help with this :(

I am not sure, but Bob Dylan provides back lyrics in that song?

Actually I've looked into this since I made the first post.

Apparantly what happened was that Dylan offered to help write part of the song, but because he had contractual obligations to the Travelling Wilbury's at the time, he wasn't allowed to perform on it.

However, because of his input they kept his name on the writing credit, and BB King took over his part.

I'm guessing the verse that appears live but only on the written album lyrics and not on Rattle and Hum itself is the verse that Bob Dylan wrote.

It's like a missed opportunity, isn't it?
I think I would have loved to hear Bono & Bob's voice in the same song!

Ellay said:

However, because of his input they kept his name on the writing credit, and BB King took over his part.

BB King is no where on that track and it's definately Dylan on the backing vocals...not sure where you got your info.

Live maybe King joined them during Lovetown.

But Dylan is definately on the studio version...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

BB King is no where on that track and it's definately Dylan on the backing vocals...not sure where you got your info.

Live maybe King joined them during Lovetown.

But Dylan is definately on the studio version...

Goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet!

though there's definitely a verse missing on r&H, must be for some other reason..

BB king sang it live on lovetown, the tokyo performance was particularly good.

Ellay said:
Actually I've looked into this since I made the first post.

Apparantly what happened was that Dylan offered to help write part of the song, but because he had contractual obligations to the Travelling Wilbury's at the time, he wasn't allowed to perform on it.

this is quite different from the story I read in an interview with Bono: apparently Robert thought (after recording vocals) that the song was too close to him. The lyrics were written for him (by Bono) about Bob himself. He became too emotionally attached to them and asked for them too be withdrawn.

Nothing to do with contracts.

Back
Top Bottom