"Hidden" Voice at End of Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobert16

The Fly
What is that voice saying in the background just at the end of Vertigo? The best I can make it out is "Alright guys, that was fun!" Any idea who is saying it, and why they chose to include it on the track?

hey that's interesting...*goes off to listen to it again*

hmm, you're right, there does seem to be a voice at the end. anyone know the story??

this is totally unrelated but mt my friend gave me a recording of Vertigo he got off the radio and at the end the DJ says "that was crap wasn't it? its not gonna be a hit"

:lol:

There are so many versions of Vertigo first off. In the beginning Bono is heard saying "turn it up louder, captain" so my guess would be it is Bono saying something at the end of the song as well.

Carek1230 said:
There are so many versions of Vertigo first off. In the beginning Bono is heard saying "turn it up louder, captain" so my guess would be it is Bono saying something at the end of the song as well.
I think he says "turn it up, eh, captain". Can't hear the word 'loud' anywhere, no matter how hard I try to hear it.

"Turn it up loud" wouldn't make sense anyway, as it's a pleonasm. "Turn the volume up" is the same as "make it loud". Now Bono isn't known for his correct grammar, but why would he say "turn it up loud, captain"? He just as easily could've said "turn it up, captain" then.

So it must be "turn it up, eh, captain".

"Turn it up loud" wouldn't make sense anyway, as it's a pleonasm. "Turn the volume up" is the same as "make it loud".

Not exactly. Turn it up, can mean just turning it to a respectable level. Turn it up loud, is that point where you can feel the volume.

I'm pretty sure it's "Turn it up loud captain".

doubleU said:

Not exactly. Turn it up, can mean just turning it to a respectable level. Turn it up loud, is that point where you can feel the volume.
"it" refers to "the volume". A 'loud volume' doesn't exist (another style error which in Dutch is called something that translates as 'contamination', I don't know if that's the correct English term). Something can be loud, or the volume can be high, but a volume can't be loud.

So in that case it should've been "turn it up high, captain". But again, Bono isn't famous because of his correct use of English grammar, so it's possible he sings "turn it up loud".

WalkOn21 said:

"it" refers to "the volume".

Or "it" refers to the knobs. But this is all just mindless semantics.

To me it's obviously "loud", but it's just silly fun talking in a song, it really doesn't matter.

back to the topic at hand, I cannot recall the exact wording and I don't have the cd here to listen to right now but I believe that Paul??? (not BONO) says something at the end about taht Was Great or something like that

WalkOn21 said:

I think he says "turn it up, eh, captain". Can't hear the word 'loud' anywhere, no matter how hard I try to hear it.

"Turn it up loud" wouldn't make sense anyway, as it's a pleonasm. "Turn the volume up" is the same as "make it loud". Now Bono isn't known for his correct grammar, but why would he say "turn it up loud, captain"? He just as easily could've said "turn it up, captain" then.

So it must be "turn it up, eh, captain".

You're reading too much into it.

It's not uncommon for people to say in English "turn it up loud." -

even if it is grammatically incorrect.

WalkOn21 said:
Well, asides from the incorrect grammar, I still can't hear "loud".

Maybe they made a special edition of HTDAAB for me, on which they say "turn it up, eh, captain" and "como esta". :huh:

You could be right, hang on to that copy, it might be worth something.

I've got a personalised copy of Pop where someone says 'happy Bono?' in the middle of Mofo rather than 'Bono happy?' like everyone elses.

Ellay said:

You could be right, hang on to that copy, it might be worth something.

I've got a personalised copy of Pop where someone says 'happy Bono?' in the middle of Mofo rather than 'Bono happy?' like everyone elses.
I also have a special edition of the Chicago DVD. On mine, Bono says "My name is Paul, but I call myself Bono", while everyone elses' has "My name is Paul, but people call me Bono".

Just at 3:10. If you turn it up loud enough, you can definately hear someone speaking.

I cant hear it..
although at the beginning im sure someone says 'turn it up loud,captain' (even though ive read elsewheres its not).
and i can hear a voice in the middle of the sweetest thing..no idea what its saying though.

Any indication that the DJ was being sarcastic? I mean how on Earth can he be a DJ and say a song is crap! Where has he been, under a rock for twenty years:eyebrow:

the voice in Veritgo is there!!!

i had my ipod on loud and at 3.10 there is definetly something there right at the last second, but i can't make out what it is.

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:

I´ve never heard this. Is it in the single mix or in the 1st version, and what´s the exact minute positioning of it??? :ohmy:

it's in my best of 1980-1990 cd, so i'm guessing in the single mix. its quite distinctive, too.

waynetravis said:
the voice in Veritgo is there!!!

i had my ipod on loud and at 3.10 there is definetly something there right at the last second, but i can't make out what it is.

you mean after the final yeah yeahs??

Babydoll said:

you mean after the final yeah yeahs??

Yes, exactly!

I think it's saying "Alright guys, that was fun!" I'm suprised that not many people seem to have noticed this before, or even have any idea of who/why it's there?

Back
Top Bottom