Help needed on Mysterious Ways lyric change...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevgreg

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I know this may have been talked about here before, so sorry for the re-post if that's the case. But I don't think a clear answer was even gotten back when there was a thread about this.

Question: Can somebody please shed some light on how a lyric was changed for Mysterious Ways in the second verse on the Best Of CD? Instead of "She sees the man inside the child', they apprentely replaced it with Bono doing something almost entirely different.

Any answers are arrpeciated.

The band changed it to, "The questions, she knows why." I have no answer for why U2 did that except that it was the Best Of and a lot of alternate versions were used. In concert, though, the band is using the original lyrics.

What I'd be intrested to know is if the alternate version was recorded specifically for the best of album, or was it recorded back at the hansa studios in 1990?

No, I think it was an original tape from 1990; Bono's voice couldn't do that falsetto at the time it was released.

My take on it is they released that version so we'd get different versions of a song we all know so well. Although sometimes I think I'm too optimistic about it.

BrownEyedBoy said:
No, I think it was an original tape from 1990; Bono's voice couldn't do that falsetto at the time it was released.

If that's the case, then that means there must be some original outakes from Achtung Baby that haven't been 'released' yet.

On the three disc set of the salome outakes there are no early versions of mysterious ways, and as far as I know, it doesn't appear on the 7 disc set either..

I'd also like to know about POP outakes as well, which have never come to the surface. It's always assumed that because Pop was unfinished, there aren't any early versions, but considering the process the band go through in recording an album, plus the fact that I've seen adam quoted that one of the songs on atomic bomb started life as a pop outake, it must mean that somewhere these tapes still exist, even if it's only for the band to refer back to when they start recording again.

So who's got them, and where are they?

Back
Top Bottom