FACT: Bono and his lyric writing is ruining U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1/ Emotional I would prefer that it means something to the lyricist rather than some randomer like a lot of NLOTH are written from the persepctive of random people.

Interesting... look down later to point 9/

5/ Not a miserable boring bastard. I like digestable joyful, happy lyrics not the glumness on NLOTH. I don't like dark lyrics. We have enough with our own problems without hearing what a multi-millionnaire has to feel so moody about.

Also interesting. Achtung Baby was one of the most gut-wrenching albums I've ever listened to, and POP was one big collection of doubt and despair.

U2's music has always been touched with some melancholy. Any joy in their music is normally a reaction to a deep pain, making U2 albums almost a soundtrack to the struggle of pulling oneself out of despair and into joy and meaning.

It's strange how a man, or a band, can make millions by expressing both their joy and pain, but once they've reached global success and ubiquity, are asked to stop the bitching and moaning because they are now millionaires.. yet they would not be rich and famous if not for expressing such things in the first place.

No wonder Cobain grabbed the gun.

9/ Unusual subject matters

See point 1/

^ :up::up:

U2 is NOT and never was a band for the casual, popminded only listener.

They make you think and feel and question, and even react:heart:.

An interesting thread. I agree with the majority of posters that his lyrics on NLOTH better his efforts on ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Nevertheless, I don't think they hit the heights of AB, Zooropa or Pop. The problem is idealism, which brings out the worst in Bono's writing. Lyrics like Yaweh, Crazy Tonight and Miracle Drug are sentimental, trite and plain embarassing. Whether he likes it or not his most compelling lyrics are the most introspective and ambivalent- Love Is Blindness, Please, Acrobat, IGWSHA, Stay, Lemon etc

I still say that liking or not liking lyrics is purely subjective. By employing this :doh: just only means that you disagree about lyrics.
This is what I look for in terms of lyrics

1/ Emotional I would prefer that it means something to the lyricist rather than some randomer like a lot of NLOTH are written from the persepctive of random people. It's like visiting someone's blog and they say "Hello my name is Mike and this is my cat Joey". Me: Hi. Random Blogger who I've never met: "This is my top 20 favourite Cure songs". I don't care. I don't know you. And I'm not really interested in politics either, unless the singer can put across their message from a personal point of view. If I wanted to know about politics I watch the news.
2/ Lack of offensive I don't nind the occasional swear word here and ther but I don't like the hip-hop scene for its f-ing and blinding, portrayals of violence and racist language.
3/ Main Premise of the songs meaning
4/ Not slushy
(ie: Danniel Beddingfield's If You're Not The One lyric "If I'm not made for you than why does your hand fit perfectly inside of mine" :yuck:
5/ Not a miserable boring bastard. I like digestable joyful, happy lyrics not the glumness on NLOTH. I don't like dark lyrics. We have enough with our own problems without hearing what a multi-millionnaire has to feel so moody about.
6/ Non specific or songs that can have a double meaning and mean different things to some people.
7/ Intellectual although I prefer emotional lyrics
8/ No silly rhyming. (eg: Natalie Imbroughlia Shiver. "I walk a mile with a smile" What?
9/ Unusual subject matters
10/ I don't mind metaphors. Loads of songwriters conjure up images in their songwriting. Sting, Annie Lennox and Chad Kroeger. Wheter it's done well or not is yet again sujective from person to person. The thing that gets tedious is the fact people on interfernce have explained some of the metaphors on HTDAAB that many find so troubling and yet they still proclaim, in their usual matter-of-a-fact manner, that the lyrics are awful.

I do believe you have struck opun a very good opinion here. I also agree with you on this matter.
The latest record took me quite sometime to digest. I was often amazed and happy and loving a U2 record right from the beggining once I had just bought it and listened to it for the first time. This latest one, is a bit diferent tho.
Bono is a pretty good song-writer but not the worlds greatest poet, mind you.
I know he must be trying his best, but all his extra-curricular activities out of the band, are getting to his head. I mean, he does them for a good cause, but lets face it, the world is just too big a place for one person to make a change so radical as his viewpoints. He is not christ, or Ghandi or some saviour. The world will always be the same , no matter what. So face the facts as they are Bono Vox. Did I dissapoint you, or leave a bad taste in your mouth?
Perhaps, so. But that is how it is. A song writer writes from the heart and the mind. The lyrics on previous records were really amazing, but
this latest album is a bit strange.
I reccomend Bono to take a break from his duties as mankinds saviour and try to get back to the real deal. Be a song writer. His voice has improved over the years, but it needs more meaningful words to sing out of it.
I know its hard to be on top and being considered the number one band on teh planet. But the higher you rise, the harder will be the fall. Or at least there will be someone always trying to knock you off the gold pedestal.
So, Bono, its best to be humble (even if your a billionaire), and get back to basics. We all know you are a good soul and have a great gift. So use it as God meant for you to use it. Like someone already said before, Stop being Christ foir a moment. Be yourself.

So, Bono, its best to be humble (even if your a billionaire), and get back to basics. We all know you are a good soul and have a great gift. So use it as God meant for you to use it. Like someone already said before, Stop being Christ foir a moment. Be yourself.

Part of the reason why NLOTH is a very good album, lyrically, is that Bono stopped writing out of his own perspective for most of the record. Since lyrics are a form of literature, I'd consider NLOTH to be a very "literary" album, and that's what I love about it. It shows Bono's gift not only as a very good writer, but also as an emphatic person.

I love NLOTH lyrically because Bono manages to use a combination of himself and several implied characters (not as implicit as THE RETURN OF THE THIN WHITE DUKE, THROWING DARTS IN LOVERS' EYES), often merged together, to bring forth a thematic consistency throughout the album - the only song that I have a hard time tying into the album thematically is SUC, and I think I can see his angle there, too. Bono did similar things on the 90s albums, and that is why I consider his 90s lyrics to be lightyears ahead of his 80s lyrics and his pre-NLOTH 2000s lyrics. The characters and their stories aren't necessarily important - they are tools. The themes, the ideas behind them are important. I also really love the surrealism that he ties into the album, especially in MOS and UC... it often makes you think WTF at first, it fits thematically in the end if you take it surrealistically instead of realistically.

I think Bono does a great job with MOS, WAS, COL. These three songs are flawless in my opinion, lyrics-wise (yes, even the ATM machine part).

There's always room for improvement, and believe me i don't really care about lyrics unless they truly stick out in a bad way. (hello CT, GOYB, SUC, Breathe).

Magnificent isn't the greatest lyric, but i think the music is good enough to sway you, and his lyrics don't really matter because the melodies are so good. Same with the title track. Same with Being Born. On these songs, his lyrics aren't great, mind you, but they're not bad. They're good enough, they work. It's when he goes out of his way to say stupid things on songs that aren't that great to begin with...that's when the lyrics fail.

I think Bono does a great job with MOS, WAS, COL. These three songs are flawless in my opinion, lyrics-wise (yes, even the ATM machine part).

My only problem with this line is that Bono's technically singing "...at the Automated Teller Machine machine..". :)

Last edited:
My only problem with this line is that Bono's technically singing "...at the Automated Teller Machine machine..". :)

This is one of my biggest real-life pet peeves... if Bono isn't screwing that up intentionally, which he might be doing, then that is by far my biggest lyrical concern with the album.

Honestly I don't think Bono is worrying about being so literal or technical. ATM is basically just slang nowdays and lots of people call them ATM machines and who really cares anyways? (except you guys of course :wink: )

(and I meant I don't think many people care when the term is used in day to day life, I know plenty of people care when BONO says it ;) )

Honestly I don't think Bono is worrying about being so literal or technical. ATM is basically just slang nowdays and lots of people call them ATM machines and who really cares anyways? (except you guys of course :wink: )

(and I meant I don't think many people care when the term is used in day to day life, I know plenty of people care when BONO says it ;) )

Ah, that was just a complaint against the lyric as it relates to a specific pet peeve. It works well in the song as-is, and it common speak.

Now, if Bono sang something like "Time is irregardless.." I'd actually have a shit-fit. :lol:

I'm new to this board, and I'd like to bring my perspective to what was a dormant thread.

You have to remember that Bono is now 50 years old. With the amazing lyrics that he wrote as a younger man, time has passed and different experiences have shaped his life. It happens in every musician when they get older. I am a Springsteen fan, and over on the messageboard for him, we have multiple discussions on how a lot of Bruce's lyrics have become laughable. It happens in every artist and band. Bob Dylan, the greatest songwriter ever, is about to turn 70. His last album was lyrically quite weak and very brief. Its just the passing of youth.

The most important thing to do though, is for these bands to at least try and keep pushing themselves. U2 still do that. Despite some, only some, lousy lyrics, they're always trying to reinvent themselves at the age where lots of old bands are just touring with greatest hits and can't be bothered trying to write new albums. I think we should be grateful for that.

You wanna kill me and I want to die, we're a perfect match, you and I... (or something like that?)

dude. that really sucks.

The next album is gonna be full of boring pop-songs, I'm afraid

You wanna kill me and I want to die, we're a perfect match, you and I... (or something like that?)

dude. that really sucks.

you can't really seriously take lyrics apart like that... it's the overall piece that counts... there's loads of songs that, on close inspection, have dodgy lyrics but which don't take away from the song itself...

much is in the delivery... B-man is quite able to sing the phone book and make it sound wonderful!

eta: not saying that's an excuse for being lazy though lol

dude. that really sucks.

How can it be "boring" if you really don't even know what it is?

Maybe you don't even understand what it's about either...

So what's "boring pop song" about this, compared to songs that you find "not boring"?

The songs that they played live, you know, they're nice. But just like those pop songs do; they get boring very quick... I really hope they're gonna work hard on those songs to make them much better!

I mustn't be to pessimistic, though...

Well that doesn't really answer any of my questions... maybe you should follow your avatar and location and have a little joy and go to the sunny side of the street.

It feels like you're just being pessimistic for pessimisms' sake.

dude. that really sucks.

you can't really seriously take lyrics apart like that... it's the overall piece that counts...

Really? Why not? The line truly does suck. And it detracts from the overall piece in a most distracting fashion.

Honestly, it does. :shrug:

Really? Why not? The line truly does suck. And it detracts from the overall piece in a most distracting fashion.

Honestly, it does. :shrug:

c'mon, have you heard some of Thom Yorke's lyrics for example, i haven't a clue what he's saying half the time but i still love his songs! maybe it's because they're mysterious and weird that they go way above people's heads and they think whoa it must be good! whereas B-man often uses very simple words and phrases but sometimes to great effect, and i think that works very well too sometimes...

i think it's matter of opinion... plus i think that Mercy line is ok in its context... and i love the song...

i do miss B-man's poetic lyrics though, true... his stories that used to take me somewhere... and i agree that his recent lyrics (HTDAAB and NLOTH) haven't been up to his usual standard, although i think some of the new songs debuted live have potential and make me think he may be getting his mojo back...

"You want to kill me and I want to die"

A line about an acknowledged sinner and a vengeful God?

A line about suicidal lover?

A line about a self depricating man and the hopelessly in love lover that want to save him?

Or just a line about a two people that have almost given up?

The line can go so many ways. How is that straight forward? How is that typical "pop"?

Or just a line about

"A single scrap of dignity,
In the junkyard of humanity" (sung with anger)

The man is a poet. Nuf sed :)

it would've worked better, IMO, if the "you wanna kill me and i wanna die" was saved for the 2nd chorus, and the 1st had the original "love hears when i lie" or something close to that, maybe revised a tad, but with the same rhythm and emphasis on certain beats. i think it would've built up the song quite nicely, by the time you'd get to the 2nd chorus, the "you wanna kill me..." line would've taken off and the song would have gotten somewhere.

it would've worked better, IMO, if the "you wanna kill me and i wanna die" was saved for the 2nd chorus, and the 1st had the original "love hears when i lie" or something close to that, maybe revised a tad, but with the same rhythm and emphasis on certain beats. i think it would've built up the song quite nicely, by the time you'd get to the 2nd chorus, the "you wanna kill me..." line would've taken off and the song would have gotten somewhere.

But this song is not a story, I imagine it as a picture I can't fully see, Bono is showing me some spots, some lights and some shadows and I have to interpret and complete it in my mind.

I was avoiding this thread, both when it started and this latest revival, but I am bored, so now I'm jumping in with all four hooves....

RE: Bono's "extracurricular activities" are either interfering with or too heavily influencing his songwriting...

Well, maybe you folks just never noticed that Bono has written about social issues since day one. The early eighties albums are slap FULL of social issues and were written LONG before Bono had ANY extracurricular activities. My God, have you never listened to "A Day Without Me", "Electric Co.", "New Year's Day" or "Sunday Fucking Bloody Sunday"????? And those are just a few of the more well-known tracks! Spin forward to JT, and "Red Hill Ming Town" and "Bullet the Blue Sky" immediately come to mind - not to mention "Mothers of the Disappeared." Sure, they'd done Live Aid by then, but was Bono out politicking and glad-handing and all that rot back then? Hmmmm..... was anyone really LISTENING? Even back then there were complaints from critics and fans alike that Bono's 'high-mindedness' was detracting from U2's popularity. Just how in tarnation did you become a fan in the first place?

RE: U2 has passed their glory days, etc...

You know, I really hate it when a fan brags they've loved the band for 18 billion years and that anyone who hasn't been a fan that long doesn't know what they're talking about, so don't take this in that way. I have been a fan for nearly 30 years, and I remember just being happy that their songs made it through all the slush on the radio just to get a little airplay. I remember when JT came out and suddenly folks would stop me in the halls between classes saying something to the effect like "Oh, NOW I know who you're talking about!" I remember how the JT catapult turned into the AB rocketship and I was completely astounded at how those folks, who previously were thriving on crappy bubblegum music, suddenly embraced AB like it it was a debut album from some wunderkind boy-band.

And ever since, U2 has been criticized for not repeating that rise to glory. Huh?? The only way they they could do that is to fade away completely and re-emerge in a generation that has barely heard of them. That's just not going to happen - they are too well-known. And the reason they are so well known is that they continue to put out quality music that keeps them in the public's ear. People act like U2 use some kind of strong-arm tactics to get their songs on the radio anymore, but you and I both know that's bullshit. Radio stations play what they think the public wants to hear to keep their listeners tuning into to their channel.

I suppose my point is that I'm just happy that U2 still make it through all the slush on the radio to get a little airplay. If so-called artists like Whitesnake, Kiss, and nowadays Nickelback and Kid Rock are so hugely popular with their one-trick ponies, at least all is not lost when a little U2 can still be injected into the airwaves now and then.

RE: Bono's lyrics lately are too dark or too obscure...

I gotta refer back to my question above: just how did you become a fan in the first place? I mean, really? In the hundreds of songs U2 has put out, only a small handful don't contain some element of negativity, melancholy, regret, anger, etc. The vast majority of the lyrics he writes come from the darker side of the human soul. Even songs which are hopeful, happy or just plain bubbly have references which imply such happiness and hopefulness are precious and hard to come by and must be fought for else they disappear.

And as far as being obscure, well, all I can say from my perspective as a poet is that trying to describe a concept or a feeling in plain ordinary English is difficult at best. Using allegories to get a concept across is tricky. If the reader (or in this case, listener) doesn't follow your train of thought, you can lose them with just one or two lines. Every person's perspective on the world is shaped by their past experiences. And everyone's past experience is different from everyone else's. I suppose what I'm saying is that his lyrics make sense to him because he's writing them from where he's coming from. You don't always know the starting point of his train of thought, so it's sometimes hard to see where the train is going. It's going to happen sometimes... or would you rather he write the same pap that the majority of so-called songwriters put out these days? Easily digestible garbage?

RE: General thoughts on Bono's lyric writing...

In my lifetime, I've written maybe a couple of hundred poems, out of which maybe 20 I believe are truly artistic enough to be called 'real' poems. Sometimes a really great line or two is buried in a pile of shit, but you keep the pile of shit because you haven't found any other way to frame those really great lines. Sometimes you start writing with a clear idea in your head of where you want to go, but the words which fall into place go in a different direction entirely. Making a real work of art is part genius, but also part luck. You rarely know which is which.

Bono has had to write lyrics to what, over 400 songs? I just can't imagine that kind of pressure. And to have all those words permanently recorded for people to chew over again and again and again, with no way of taking them back? Folks buy the album (we hope) and listen to the songs and that's the first impression they get of the lyrics. And that impression stays because Bono can't go back and erase a word or a line if he thinks of something better later on. What's done is done.

There are a great many well-known poets of the past and present. Emily Dickinson, William Wordsworth, Edgar Allan Poe, egads, lemme think, I'm brain-dead right now. At any rate, if you go through and read some of these celebrated poets' entire life's work, you come to realize that not one of them has written more than a handful of masterpieces and the rest may be pleasant yes, but entirely forgettable. It's like that with every writer. It's also like that with every music artist.

I'm not saying that Bono has written ANY great masterpieces, but just think of how many U2 songs you know by heart, how many of them you sing just for the fun of feeling the words roll out of your mouth. I'm not placing Bono on any kind of pedestal, not a chance, just trying to say that he has done better than most people could have done in his situation. If he has a few duds, he has a few duds. Let it slide and qwitcher-bitchin'.

goat

I was avoiding this thread, both when it started and this latest revival, but I am bored, so now I'm jumping in with all four hooves....

RE: Bono's "extracurricular activities" are either interfering with or too heavily influencing his songwriting...

Well, maybe you folks just never noticed that Bono has written about social issues since day one. The early eighties albums are slap FULL of social issues and were written LONG before Bono had ANY extracurricular activities. My God, have you never listened to "A Day Without Me", "Electric Co.", "New Year's Day" or "Sunday Fucking Bloody Sunday"????? And those are just a few of the more well-known tracks! Spin forward to JT, and "Red Hill Ming Town" and "Bullet the Blue Sky" immediately come to mind - not to mention "Mothers of the Disappeared." Sure, they'd done Live Aid by then, but was Bono out politicking and glad-handing and all that rot back then? Hmmmm..... was anyone really LISTENING? Even back then there were complaints from critics and fans alike that Bono's 'high-mindedness' was detracting from U2's popularity. Just how in tarnation did you become a fan in the first place?

RE: U2 has passed their glory days, etc...

You know, I really hate it when a fan brags they've loved the band for 18 billion years and that anyone who hasn't been a fan that long doesn't know what they're talking about, so don't take this in that way. I have been a fan for nearly 30 years, and I remember just being happy that their songs made it through all the slush on the radio just to get a little airplay. I remember when JT came out and suddenly folks would stop me in the halls between classes saying something to the effect like "Oh, NOW I know who you're talking about!" I remember how the JT catapult turned into the AB rocketship and I was completely astounded at how those folks, who previously were thriving on crappy bubblegum music, suddenly embraced AB like it it was a debut album from some wunderkind boy-band.

And ever since, U2 has been criticized for not repeating that rise to glory. Huh?? The only way they they could do that is to fade away completely and re-emerge in a generation that has barely heard of them. That's just not going to happen - they are too well-known. And the reason they are so well known is that they continue to put out quality music that keeps them in the public's ear. People act like U2 use some kind of strong-arm tactics to get their songs on the radio anymore, but you and I both know that's bullshit. Radio stations play what they think the public wants to hear to keep their listeners tuning into to their channel.

I suppose my point is that I'm just happy that U2 still make it through all the slush on the radio to get a little airplay. If so-called artists like Whitesnake, Kiss, and nowadays Nickelback and Kid Rock are so hugely popular with their one-trick ponies, at least all is not lost when a little U2 can still be injected into the airwaves now and then.

RE: Bono's lyrics lately are too dark or too obscure...

I gotta refer back to my question above: just how did you become a fan in the first place? I mean, really? In the hundreds of songs U2 has put out, only a small handful don't contain some element of negativity, melancholy, regret, anger, etc. The vast majority of the lyrics he writes come from the darker side of the human soul. Even songs which are hopeful, happy or just plain bubbly have references which imply such happiness and hopefulness are precious and hard to come by and must be fought for else they disappear.

And as far as being obscure, well, all I can say from my perspective as a poet is that trying to describe a concept or a feeling in plain ordinary English is difficult at best. Using allegories to get a concept across is tricky. If the reader (or in this case, listener) doesn't follow your train of thought, you can lose them with just one or two lines. Every person's perspective on the world is shaped by their past experiences. And everyone's past experience is different from everyone else's. I suppose what I'm saying is that his lyrics make sense to him because he's writing them from where he's coming from. You don't always know the starting point of his train of thought, so it's sometimes hard to see where the train is going. It's going to happen sometimes... or would you rather he write the same pap that the majority of so-called songwriters put out these days? Easily digestible garbage?

RE: General thoughts on Bono's lyric writing...

In my lifetime, I've written maybe a couple of hundred poems, out of which maybe 20 I believe are truly artistic enough to be called 'real' poems. Sometimes a really great line or two is buried in a pile of shit, but you keep the pile of shit because you haven't found any other way to frame those really great lines. Sometimes you start writing with a clear idea in your head of where you want to go, but the words which fall into place go in a different direction entirely. Making a real work of art is part genius, but also part luck. You rarely know which is which.

Bono has had to write lyrics to what, over 400 songs? I just can't imagine that kind of pressure. And to have all those words permanently recorded for people to chew over again and again and again, with no way of taking them back? Folks buy the album (we hope) and listen to the songs and that's the first impression they get of the lyrics. And that impression stays because Bono can't go back and erase a word or a line if he thinks of something better later on. What's done is done.

There are a great many well-known poets of the past and present. Emily Dickinson, William Wordsworth, Edgar Allan Poe, egads, lemme think, I'm brain-dead right now. At any rate, if you go through and read some of these celebrated poets' entire life's work, you come to realize that not one of them has written more than a handful of masterpieces and the rest may be pleasant yes, but entirely forgettable. It's like that with every writer. It's also like that with every music artist.

I'm not saying that Bono has written ANY great masterpieces, but just think of how many U2 songs you know by heart, how many of them you sing just for the fun of feeling the words roll out of your mouth. I'm not placing Bono on any kind of pedestal, not a chance, just trying to say that he has done better than most people could have done in his situation. If he has a few duds, he has a few duds. Let it slide and qwitcher-bitchin'.

goat

Great post :up:

May I add as a literature teacher that Bono has written quite a few good lyrics? I would even say that he has a couple of them to be considered within the world or modern poetry,and it is clear that he has read more than many of the posters here and is aware of the present currents.

And just to finish, lyrics are written to work in combination with a music and a performance, they aren't intended to be read while sitting alone at home, in that way most of his lyrics are perfect for the purpose and more interesting than most of the lyrics out there, is he perfect? no, of course not, I'm only saying that although I may sometimes not like some of his lyrics, he's good at what he does.

Well that doesn't really answer any of my questions... maybe you should follow your avatar and location and have a little joy and go to the sunny side of the street.

It feels like you're just being pessimistic for pessimisms' sake.

I answered your question. Regular pop songs become boring really fast. Simple beats, simple lyrics, same guitar-pieces. I don't want U2 to become like that.

And err, lol, you think I LIKE being pessimistic about U2? Why do you think I'm on this site, I'm not a troll.. I love 'em.

PS. Don't fuck with the Pogues. Their lyrics are awesome.

I answered your question. Regular pop songs become boring really fast. Simple beats, simple lyrics, same guitar-pieces. I don't want U2 to become like that.

So Mercy has simple beats, simple lyrics and same guitar pieces and that's what makes it a boring pop song?

But With or Without you has complex beats, complex lyrics and varied guitar pieces?

Back
Top Bottom