Elvis Presley and America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my faves, but I don't think the lyrics have any continuity. If I remeber right the vocals were just a one take improv. So I'm not sure it really has a meaning that can be interpretted from the lyrics. But it has an amazing feel to it.

I know that the drums are "A Sort of Homecoming" slowed down. Its kind of a murky mysterious number with plenty of Bongolese. Just another one of Brian Eno's experiments to try to stimulate the band. If I remember reading it correctly, Brian said the song was done and the band was kind of like, "oh"

I quite like this song, particularly the ending. This is what I read about it on one website;

'Bono had read a novel by Albert Goldman which tried to portray Elvis as the model of the rock 'n' roll idiot and while Bono disagreed, the book was obviously on his mind when the song was recorded. It's a chronicle of Elvis's highs and his lows - the wonder and genius he brought to the world of music, but also the ironic way he died on a bathroom floor. It is interesting to note that Brian Eno slowed down the backing track of "A Sort of Homecoming" and encouraged Bono just to improvise the lyrics over it in one take.'

Interesting ^^^^.

Swan269 said:
I know that the drums are "A Sort of Homecoming" slowed down. Its kind of a murky mysterious number with plenty of Bongolese. Just another one of Brian Eno's experiments to try to stimulate the band. If I remember reading it correctly, Brian said the song was done and the band was kind of like, "oh"

Haha, really?

It's a very weird, unusual song, I definitely agree.

Angela

of all the songs, elvis presley and america is my very favorite. it always has been.

i would never try to analyze this song too much. i feel that the beauty of this song is in the chaos and the way the lyrics ramble. the way this song rolls and stretches is so beautiful. it doesn't matter much to me what it's hidden meaning is, to let it carry me away on it's waves is enough for me.

bonosgirl84 said:
of all the songs, elvis presley and america is my very favorite. it always has been.

i would never try to analyze this song too much. i feel that the beauty of this song is in the chaos and the way the lyrics ramble. the way this song rolls and stretches is so beautiful. it doesn't matter much to me what it's hidden meaning is, to let it carry me away on it's waves is enough for me.

That's cool. :).

I was just curious if anyone did have any ideas of what they thought the song would be about. But you're right about what makes the song neat-definitely true.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom