Looking for honest opinions on U2 by U2 vs. Bono In Conversation w/ Michka Assayas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Slow Loris

War Child
I would like to buy one of these two books, but not both. With Bono specifically, I'm looking for the more....

interesting....

thought provoking...

revealing...

of the two books.

Which one would be more enjoyable for a philisophical person?

And which one is more enjoyable for you?

Thank you.

-- Skinny P. Loris (the "P" stands for Petruce)

I haven't read U2 by U2 yet. It's a bit difficult to read in bed. :)

But I found the Conversations book a little annoying. There's way too much of Michka (I really don't give a rat's what he thinks about anything), and I thought Bono was choosing his words too carefully. He seemed to be concealing his real thoughts, and trying to shape his answers to fulfill the agenda he's set for himself.

Agreed. He seemed more candid in U2 by U2.

If you're only going to buy one, Skinny P., I'd suggest you get that one. You'll get not only a more candid Bono but many, many interesting/revealing comments from the others as well (plus lots of previously unseen photos).

I definitely think u2 by u2 is a better book. Bono by Michka is interesting and there are parts where Bono is quite philosophical but it's not my favorite book or anything. Maybe you can get that one from the library and read it?

u2 by u2 is a must have.

I have read both books and I must say U2 by U2 is more interesting if you want to know what all the band members are thinking, it's also quite entertaining. However, I feel that there are many parallels between what Bono says in this book and what he says in the Bono conversations book, except for the fact that the conversations go more into details and depth. But much of the stuff that was talked about with Mischka can also be found in one form or the other in the U2 by U2 book. I actually found Bono quite revealing in the conversations book and also very funny. It's a book fully concentrated on him and contains a lot about his activism and his view of politics, life and so on. If you are more interested in the band's musical history, then go and get the U2 by U2 book. I have almost read all of it, still one more chapter to go, and I must say it's very interesting, also surprising and touching.

That's great info everyone. Thanks very much :)

And, last unicorn, that's what I was getting at: I want to read about Bono's deeper thinking, about his views on life, politics and so on. That's what I'm after.

But I am a bit torn after reading these posts. Most people are saying U2 by U2 is the better read....so maybe I will have to get both afterall! Blame it on U2 for being so compelling!

Conversations with Bono is chock full of Bonoisms that are fun to read and hearing him switch into professor mode (especially when he starts detailing Nepoleon) is quite interesting to read and it makes sense. It really gets deep into his mind and his little personal anecdotes (like how he, his father, and brother ended up eating airline meals every night) are really funny. If you're into Bono and his world then get Conversations, if you wanna get an equal piece of the pie get U2 by U2

Both are in my collection...I also really liked Until the End of World by Bill Flannagan...It brought back alot of memories of the history that was going on in the world at the time...and the behind the scenes of the recording sessions in Berlin.

martha said:
I haven't read U2 by U2 yet. It's a bit difficult to read in bed. :)

But I found the Conversations book a little annoying. There's way too much of Michka (I really don't give a rat's what he thinks about anything), and I thought Bono was choosing his words too carefully. He seemed to be concealing his real thoughts, and trying to shape his answers to fulfill the agenda he's set for himself.

I agree. I'm a "Bono-girl" and I'd still go with U2 By U2. "Conversations" was good, but really there was nothing significant that you couldn't put together from countless other Bono interviews. I thought he kinda went in circles, using the same cliches and analogies he always does, but not really going any deeper than he has in other interviews. I was almost disappointed except for the fact that I prepared myself not to expect much. I can't say I have a better understanding of Bono and what he stands for after reading "Conversations".

U2 By U2 has tons of fun stories, great pics, and an equal representation of band members.

My favorite is still Flanagan's "U2 Bible" :)

I have both books - and enjoy them both.

U2 By U2 is a marathon to read - it's such a huge and heavy book, and it's quite long - but it's so worth it. I'm not yet finished, but I'm so enjoying it. It's very revealing about the history of U2, and glimpses into the way they saw the world at certain points of their lives. It's always very funny - I have laughed out loud alot during this book. They've had such an incredible journey, interesting, dynamic, dramatic, funny, blessed. It's been such a journey - and I've thoroughly enjoyed climbing aboard for the voyeuristic ride, so to speak.

Bono by Bono is also good. It does get quite in depth at points - and sometimes Bono runs away on a tangent, but it also is touching.. funny... dramatic. Parts of his life are almost a movie - he's such a character, and some of his history is so compelling. I feel more empathy with/for him now - not only that, but I found some of what he said challenged me to look at myself and at my own life and see some of my own self-destructive tendancies, and look at my own destructive parental relationships.

Sometimes I think he has pulled himself in a little- or Michka has missed something he's said and let him get away without fully explaining himself and it irks me - because I think "Oh I would've jumped in there and made him explain it!'.
I wish it was released in an audio format - because he does a few sing-song bits, impressions etc, and I think the tone of his voice would reveal even more than his words.
There is a great moment when Bono starts singing "Ignition" by R Kelly - which would be a treat to hear. :)

I think perhaps U2 by U2 would be the better buy in that you'll learn more about more of them - and there are also passages in U2 by U2 that are in Bono on Bono.
I mean Bono still gets to let loose in U2 by U2 - there are some pages where there is like

Edge: (two lines)
Adam: (two-three lines)
Larry : (one line)
Bono (rest of the page, plus whole of the next page) HAHA

I have both books too...maybe its just me, but I found The Conversations Book really heavy going, as interested as i am in Bono and his thoughts and ideas, I had a lot of trouble getting into the book!!:huh:
As for U2byU2...well once i started I couldn't put it down - its terrific reading, and ,as said by previous posters, it's entertaining AND informative.
And, yeah, there are stacks of brilliant pictures to look at too (a big plus as far as I'm concerned!!!) :)

I'm reading this now. For what it's worth I enjoy Michka's input, it's a bit like being a fly on a wall (no pun intended) on a conversation between two friends.

The most interesting thing that I've come across so far though is Bono lists 'Grace' as one of the great U2 songs. I actually quite like that song but still, that was a bit of a surprise.

*wants the U2 Bible* :grumpy:

I rather like both equally - thing is, I think Bono isn't going to tell his innermost stuff in print. He pretends to be very lighthearted, but he's a deep man. And very few people are going to get a peek at his deeper self at all.

mandy1973 said:
I have both books too...maybe its just me, but I found The Conversations Book really heavy going, as interested as i am in Bono and his thoughts and ideas, I had a lot of trouble getting into the book!!:huh:
As for U2byU2...well once i started I couldn't put it down - its terrific reading, and ,as said by previous posters, it's entertaining AND informative.
And, yeah, there are stacks of brilliant pictures to look at too (a big plus as far as I'm concerned!!!) :)

:up: I also had a hard time getting into the Conversations book as well. In fact I don't thik I ever did finish it.

The only thing I don't like about U2 by U2 is how heavy and large it is. My fav spot to read is in bed and I found it sort of difficult to do with this one. I know :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom