Would you do GA again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Either way is fine with me. Just being there is good enough for me :up:

This is a healthy attitude - but eh. :lol: I don't go to as many concerts as most (that said, I did see Vertigo a whopping 7 times!) and prefer to attend fewer shows with better seats than many shows with any old seat.

I don't go to many shows either, but I still agree with Sicy. Any ticket to a U2 show is a good ticket, as far as I'm concerned. I don't go to a whole lot of concerts, partially because crowds do tend to make me anxious...I find the concert experience to be fun but very stressful...so if I'm going to a concert, it's probably going to be for someone I really, really love and am dying to see, as I feel they are worth all of the stress...so I'd be satisfied with any ticket, as long as I was there. Of course, better tickets would leave me more satisfied...:wink:...but, either way, I'm just happy to be there! :D

Well, I will definitely be doing General Admission for all the shows that I can attend of the next tour.
I have read all the comments here and since i've seen 20+ shows (All of them while having seats), I think it's time.

GA usually means General Admission. In relation to U2 fans it means on the floor, and there is a special VIP area fans can get into in the center of the stage. U2 fans line up days before a show camping out waiting to rush in for the perfct spot along the stage. It's exciting and fun, well it can be. I say a U2 fan has got to do it at least once for the experience!

So then after you get GA tix on ticketmaster, etc (which just promise you a spot somewhere on the floor), you have to line up early to get the best spot on the floor? And how early would you suggest lining up to get a good spot? I'm another one of those short-arses, AND have never had experience with GA, so I'd really like to know how to do this right.

I'd do GA again but I certainly could do without the drama.

Amen sister. Amen!

I will definitely do GA, but I will go to faaaaaaaaaaaaar less shows this time around. Far less. As several people heard me say back at the end of the Vertigo tour "I hope that by next tour, I am in a place in my life where I won't need/want to do as many shows" And I am. So yay!

But for the shows I do, it will definitely be GA! :heart:

As several people heard me say back at the end of the Vertigo tour "I hope that by next tour, I am in a place in my life where I won't need/want to do as many shows" And I am.

What do you mean? :shifty: I thought music is forever! :yippie:

Nice avatar, btw! :)

Memories.....Las Vegas....the GA line...Miroslava :heart:

Good times.

:heart:

Even though I was a hot mess since I had just spent hours in line and my ticket was nowhere to be seen!

:lol:

What do you mean? :shifty: I thought music is forever! :yippie:

Nice avatar, btw! :)

And the music is forever, yes. But spending hundreds of dollars, hours in line, and barely any time at home is not! ;)

And thanks. We must not have ran in the same circles a lot, since it is the same AV I've had since September 2005 :D

:wave:

I've never done U2 GA before and I'm not so sure that I even want to, based on GA experiences with other bands. I don't like standing on my feet all day. I also don't like feeling as though my bladder is going to explode. To be perfectly honest, I think regular floor seating is ten times better than standing GA. The seated floor atmosphere is fantastic if you're within the first twenty rows, and it has the added bonus of you not being exhausted/trampled to death by the time the show starts. Plus, you can have a pee break without the challenge of elbowing your way back to the front!

So then after you get GA tix on ticketmaster, etc (which just promise you a spot somewhere on the floor), you have to line up early to get the best spot on the floor?

Normally, yes, this is how GA is supposed to work. And at every other concert I've ever gone to in my life this is how it worked. However, on the Vertigo tour they implemented a "lottery" - a random draw in which they scanned your ticket and then told you whether or not you would be allowed inside of the ellipse (the area inside the circular catwalk, closest to the stage)

You could line up six weeks before everyone else on the Vertigo tour and still not get very close to the stage at all.

It also meant that you could show up after the opening band without putting in any time at all in line and walk right into the ellipse.

YES! Bono grabbed the hat off the guy who was standing beside me. I will never forget how close we were to him! It was a matter of feet! :heart::love:

I've never done U2 GA before and I'm not so sure that I even want to, based on GA experiences with other bands. I don't like standing on my feet all day. I also don't like feeling as though my bladder is going to explode. To be perfectly honest, I think regular floor seating is ten times better than standing GA. The seated floor atmosphere is fantastic if you're within the first twenty rows, and it has the added bonus of you not being exhausted/trampled to death by the time the show starts. Plus, you can have a pee break without the challenge of elbowing your way back to the front!

I'm with you. I managed to get in the ellipse once out of 15 U2 shows last year, and it was incredible....but, honestly, at this stage of my life, I'd rather show up at a normal hour, sit in my seat, be able to move/pee, etc.....I'd do GA again, but, it would be the exception not the rule.

:doh:No! Never again! When I stated out with this band, sure I did not mind standing and dancing around!I was much younger than!! But then those crowd crushes started and I have hated it ever since! I Always get someone taller then me right in front of me, so I might as well be outside cuz I can't even see the band!! Now that I am older, I would rather have a seat,so I don;t have to wait All day just in line! I can go swimming when it's hot, eat when I want to, take breaks and still have my seat!! And...see the band and dance all I want to! I too, have been to concert after concert...U2's... where everyone around me sat!! Nuts to Them! I Paid to go and enjoy the show and if they just want to sit and chat the whole time, fine with me!! They are why I bring earplugs anyways, I would rather Hear the Band/Bono then THem!! There is no other band like U2 live, so why should I let someone else ruin MY good time? :hyper:

And the music is forever, yes. But spending hundreds of dollars, hours in line, and barely any time at home is not! ;)

:lol: True. Although, I haven't done any of that yet. :sad: I guess that's all the more reason I'd like to GA the hell out next tour but I'm sure I won't be able to afford more than 2 shows, unless I don't see any other band that year! I've only had seats so far but the love that GA gets round these parts has me more than curious.

Normally, yes, this is how GA is supposed to work. And at every other concert I've ever gone to in my life this is how it worked. However, on the Vertigo tour they implemented a "lottery" - a random draw in which they scanned your ticket and then told you whether or not you would be allowed inside of the ellipse (the area inside the circular catwalk, closest to the stage)

You could line up six weeks before everyone else on the Vertigo tour and still not get very close to the stage at all.

It also meant that you could show up after the opening band without putting in any time at all in line and walk right into the ellipse.

But... if I'm understanding you right, why even wait in line if it's gonna be decided by lottery? I'm sorry if I missed something you posted earlier on. But did they just drop this lottery plan on everyone AFTER people had been waiting for hours?

But... if I'm understanding you right, why even wait in line if it's gonna be decided by lottery? I'm sorry if I missed something you posted earlier on. But did they just drop this lottery plan on everyone AFTER people had been waiting for hours?

If you weren't scanned into the ellipse, but were in the first 75-ish? hundred? people in line, you were pretty much guaranteed a spot on the outside rail.

For me, this was a huge factor. Being on the rail meant you weren't completely surrounded by people, you at least had some breathing space in front of you, and, having the rail to lean on helped my back not be so achy from all the standing.

GA is annoying now because you still have to show up early as hell in the morning to get a number and guarantee yourself a good rail spot should you not make the elipse. All the band did with their new random system was make the hardcore fans show up early and not get the best seat in the house. :sad:

Even worse, I was a U2.com member and paid through the nose for a non-GA seated ticket (admittedly with a great view). I could've easily logged onto the general onsale and snagged me a GA (which I did with the second San Jose show). Complete bullshit. Worse, the Oakland shows were like impossible to get GAs for because most of them were contracted out to some sort of arena club or whatnot. Next tour, I will surely not be using the fan club as a potential GA source and I definitely hope crap like what happened at the Oakland shows doesn't occur again. It's a shame because I easily could've snagged myself four GAs for $200 bucks and instead I paid $300 for a GA and two nosebleeds ($150) + the aforementioned U2.com crap ($150). And the one GA show I did attend had me waiting at 6AM in the morning for a wristband, having to get back in line over two hours prior to the show (while really needing to take a pee), and then not making the elipse. :doh:

Of note, the nosebleed seats are absolutely a fine way to take in a show. They usually still have great sound and a nice view in arenas, cost only 50 bucks and you can show up after the opening act. If I don't end up with GA tickets, I gladly purchase the seats in the rafters. Paying 90 bucks to sit behind the band or 150 for a seat is just fucking ridiculous. If anything the GA tickets should cost the premium because the band would get it. Instead, those that are unlucky in the onsale pay through the nose to have a seat.

Yep. My one experience spending most of the day in the GA line was the first Seattle show. I showed up about 1:00, was in the low 100s for my number and ended up just two heads back from the rail.

By the time the show was halfway through, there was just one person in front of me ... and very little shoving or crushing, which was a pleasant surprise.

Amen sister. Amen!

I will definitely do GA, but I will go to faaaaaaaaaaaaar less shows this time around. Far less. As several people heard me say back at the end of the Vertigo tour "I hope that by next tour, I am in a place in my life where I won't need/want to do as many shows" And I am. So yay!

Hey Girl! Long time no see! How have you been?!!!

Um, no. The worst way to get any tickets last time was U2.com because the friggin' venues didn't want to give up all of the prime tickets. Even if they had, it still would've sucked because a lot of areas had more fan club members than GA tickets could possibly accomodate.

Best way to get GA is to get online and keep refreshing on the ticket site. A second (or third or fourth) show is even easier because few people are sitting at their computer waiting for those to be scheduled (they usually pop up 15 minutes to a half hour after the first show sells out).

To be perfectly honest, I think regular floor seating is ten times better than standing GA.

Does anyone do this anymore? I would love regular floor seating. When I was 15 I had 3rd row floor seating for REM and it was FANtastic.

Amen sister. Amen!

Woman! where the hell have you been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MISSSSSSSSSSSED UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad::sad::sad:

what have you been up to...???

Back
Top Bottom