Would you do GA again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GA is definitely an experience not to be missed, especially for a U2 show. I've been there done it a couple times this last tour but not so sure I'd be up to doing it again. I'm not completely ruling it out because U2 can be so addicting and once you get caught up in the excitement and electricity the tour brings, but I do have to say most of my experiences were fun and pleasant. You sure do get to met a lot of people which is fun, then again there are the fair share of drunks and weird people. But if you like to people watch, it adds more to the experience :up: Don't knock it if you haven't tried it, and it is so well worth the cheap ticket price! :up:

I've seen 4 shows with GA tix, 2 with seats and had a MUCH better time in GA. Something about seats for a rock show just feels kind of odd. Though it is nice to be able to see the whole spectacle a bit better. But the energy and immersion in GA is where it's at for me.

It does help that I'm one of those 6'5" guys who never has any problem seeing over a crowd. But I'm nice - if you're nice to me chances are I'll give you the spot in front of me. :wink:

I totally agree. I like having my own designated area where I can have all my stuff, my drink, whatever and move around if I want to without getting lost. I did GA for my last Vertigo show just for the experience (I was lucky enough to see the show pretty much for all angles during the course of the tour) and learned that I definitely prefer seats.

Me too. I'm glad I did GA once and I'm glad I had that experience, but in general having a designated place was less stressful and I had just as good a time. I guess I was lucky that I never had the problem of people in my section wanting to sit during the show.

As far as I'm concerned, GA is the only option. It's a concert, not a movie; I want to stand. I was lucky that the one time I did seats at a U2 show, my section stood, but that's a rare experience - almost every other show I've had seats for, nobody's stood, and that's just dull.

Plus, with GA, I have a much better shot of getting very close to the stage.

Exactly. :up:

I'll definitely do GA for the next tour - I've never done it before!

Hi

I've been thinking about the seating thing for the next tour for the last few days.

When I went to Manchester for Vertigo I was in seats...bloody good seats with a great view....and everyone was up and dancing, singing, crying when SYCMIOYO was on, hugging each other, talking and generally having a great time.

I would love to have GA's for the next tour but, being only 5'2" i'm wondering if it would be worth my while, me being such a short arse....how much would I get to see. I know the vibe would be great, but it does worry me a bit, plus all that standing might put my back out, then i'd be fcuk'd for the show.....

I would love the GA experience.....so is anyone else in a similar situation with bad backs etc...how did you find it being in GA?

If you can score a good seat, I'd go with that in your situation. I'm 5'2" as well, and the GA solution to that is just to get in line as early as you can - if you don't get into the Ellipse, at least you're more likely to be on the rail or very close to it.

When I've done GA but couldn't be in line all day, I hung out in the back of the floor - easier to see because it's not as packed-tight crowded, and more room to move around, which is nice.

But if you're worried about your back and that's going to be stressful for you, it might not be worth it. Better to go with a reserved seat and be relaxed about it, rather than spending a whole day babying your back and worrying. :)

I'm thinking no. I did GA last tour and was incredibly, incredibly lucky (I got in the first row outside the ellipse.) What are the odds I'd have such good luck again? Since I'm only 5'3 if I do GA and am not in the first row I probably won't see a thing except the back of the person in front of me.

Ask anyone who had the "Orgasmic pleasure" of experimenting the joy of having a 6 foot 3 (or plus) girafe infront of you on the floor,you'll know that general admission is overrated.

......unless you are a 6 foot 3 girafe yourself,of course.

I am. And I quite love GA. :wink:

Seats are not bad, but there is no greater concert experience for me than GA. Best show of my entire life: November 2, 2005. GA. Staples Center. About 3 feet away from Bono.

:combust:

I would love to try it, but at my age the experience of it all might just kill me. :|

Exactly, JC! You really have to have stamina, patience and be ready to run, elbow your way to your spot and survive in the GA line. Sometimes the long wait in heat or cold weather is trying enough. But throw our age in the equasion and it makes things a bit more difficult. It is worth it to at least try it once tho, just to be able to say you did, and to experience it.:sexywink:

...or you don't need to wait in the line.

Show up at 7:20ish and accept the fact that you could be hanging out around the soundboard. Get your ticket scanned... and you're inside the ellipse, second row Adam's side! Just like I was. :wave:

I'd do GA again but I certainly could do without the drama.
The worst crowd I've ever experienced was a U2 crowd. I've never been so scared as to be in a crowd surge, and I was second row! It's one thing to do GA in an arena, as I would imagine most Americans have done, stadiums are something else. :yikes:

agghhhh! Everybodys saying GA and i have no idea what it means! I want to know because all i get so far is its something to do with seating or ticket-getting...

So what is GA exactly?

GA usually means General Admission. In relation to U2 fans it means on the floor, and there is a special VIP area fans can get into in the center of the stage. U2 fans line up days before a show camping out waiting to rush in for the perfct spot along the stage. It's exciting and fun, well it can be. I say a U2 fan has got to do it at least once for the experience!

the first two shows I went to were GA, Zoomerang and Popmart. We were on the floor(GA) but had seats. They were cheapo folding sets of 8 or so but at least we had a good spot, fairly close, maybe 50m away from the stage.
This tour I got tickets from a guy at the stadium who said they were the best you could get. Thinking it would be the same set up as before I was VERY excited. Turns out our seats were at the back of the bottom tier of the arena and when everyone stood up there was a huge concrete thing in our way. I spent the whole time ducking to try to see anything. :sad:

I'll be going for GA this time. Even if I'm stuck at the back at least I'll be able to see something besides feet. . . . .

the first two shows I went to were GA, Zoomerang and Popmart. We were on the floor(GA) but had seats. They were cheapo folding sets of 8 or so but at least we had a good spot, fairly close, maybe 50m away from the stage.
This tour I got tickets from a guy at the stadium who said they were the best you could get. Thinking it would be the same set up as before I was VERY excited. Turns out our seats were at the back of the bottom tier of the arena and when everyone stood up there was a huge concrete thing in our way. I spent the whole time ducking to try to see anything. :sad:

I'll be going for GA this time. Even if I'm stuck at the back at least I'll be able to see something besides feet. . . . .

Where did you see Zoomerang? I saw them in Adel and Syd and there were no seats for either on the grass, it was all GA, were there seats for Melb? :scratch: I know there were seats on the grass for PopMart, cos I missed out and was up in the stands, grrrr (well till we ran onto the field and watched it from there :shifty: )

Was front row in Sydney directly infront of Bono's Mic stand. When 'I will follow' came on, it felt like I was ducking under a 747 about to land...Insanity!

GA forever!

so how do you get GA? I'm unfamiliar with it :hmm:

Best as I can tell from being unable to get a seat to 4 shows that sold out extremely quickly over ticketmaster, you have to register with the official fan club to get access to the pre-sale.

GA stands for General Admission, which means there are no seats. This can refer to a crappy section like the lawn, but, with regard to U2, it refers to the very front near the stage.

They're also the cheapest tickets, but the seated areas are exhorbitantly priced, and scalpers buy everything up if you're not quick.

No. If that was my only option though, I'd go.

I don't regret going GA once, it was a cool experience, and I had fun being so close to the action. However, crowds make me kind of anxious at times. I was actually so freaked out that after waiting all day and getting my spot, I almost left before the opening act came on...but I knew I'd never forgive myself if I bailed, so I made myself stay. Still, it would have been nice to just have my own designated spot, I think I would have felt more comfortable. Also, I went to the show by myself, so I was lined up outside in the cold with no company. Being alone meant that I had no buddy to hold my spot, so there were no bathroom breaks for me. Once I went to the bathroom before I left home to head to the venue, there was no going again until the end of the show.

So...maybe GA would have been better with a friend, but I'll still be looking for seats next time around.

I know what you mean. I also worry like crazy about some tall jerk who'll nudge his way in front of me, which happened to me at Curiosa in 2004, or some guy dancing in such a way that he keeps rubbing his back into my stomach or just idiots who need to videotape or photograph everything so they block your view with their camera/cell phone or some morons talking during songs (which is why I hate festivals because lots of people in the audience isn't in love with the band).

I wish concerts were more relaxing. Fun and exciting and all, but not so much damn effort.

I hate being stuck in front of giraffes, but I do consider myself lucky to be tall for a woman (5'9") and quite full-figured, i.e. not easily budged, ;) And both times I had GA for U2, I had a nice quiet spot near the B-stage on Edge's side and was never pushed or crushed anyway.

I guess another GA drawback for me is that 99% of the time I go to gigs by myself and have no one to guard my spot if I need to go to the bathroom or buy a drink. I find though that most people in GA are nice enough to keep an eye for you in case of an emergency.

I was up in the stands for Zoomerang and Popmart, and GA for Vertigo, and I can tell you it's a completely different experience. Definitely will go GA again for sure, it's a great experience, although being GA outdoors it's not very loud as the sound floats out the top of the stadium. GA in an arena would be great but there's no way that will happen in Australia.

:hmm:
So I am 6'4" and that makes me a
Animaux20.gif
?:lol:

Back
Top Bottom