Worst Song U2 has written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scarlet

I know the band was young, I know it was their tough second record... but still, I'm not valuing the topic in any other context other than "worst song U2 has written."

Scarlet = crap.

Nothing new, uninteresting melody, not sure what to say about the lyrics; the song is just... there. There is simply nothing particularly "strange" or "odd" about the song to even warrant discussion except for its dullness. It's balls.

Just like I can't pick out a favorite song, I have no single one most reviled...they usually have a stinker or so from each album..for me they'd be:

Shadows and Trees
Is That All (also Stranger in a Strange Land)
Refugee <<<<<<< Red Light is wayyyy better!
4th of July (sorry, not an album track)
NOTHING FROM JT
(Holy shit, I just realized, nothing from R&H either!!)
Nothing from AB
Babyface, Some Days Are Better, Daddy's Gonna Pay...not horrible just not album worthy imo
Miami (altho Staring At The Sun irritates the hell out of me sometimes)
Wild Honey
Big Girls Are Best
Electrical Storm << this song's only redeeming quality was written by Salman Rushdie, not Bono ;)
Vertigo <<<< yes, I'd prefer to listen to A Man And A Woman than Vertigo! lol
Fez Being Born...holy fuck, Fez Being Born. Also Stand Up Comedy, Cedars of Lebanon and Get on Your Boots < just totally annoying the hell out of me right now

and finally

wait for it

the verses from the first Mercy

:lol:

obligatory :wink:

Scarlet

I know the band was young, I know it was their tough second record... but still, I'm not valuing the topic in any other context other than "worst song U2 has written."

Scarlet = crap.

Nothing new, uninteresting melody, not sure what to say about the lyrics; the song is just... there. There is simply nothing particularly "strange" or "odd" about the song to even warrant discussion except for its dullness. It's balls.

Nah...Scarlet screams "see, we can be Joy Division tooooo!", but otherwise it's just ok. Is That All, on the other hand....sounds a track from early working tapes that spawned Electric Co.

Staring At The Sun????? I find that a very layered polished U2 song. Edge's guitar sound is awesome.

Red Light
Refugee
SUC
Peace On Earth (This song is what kills the mood of ATYCLB and because of it, the album never gets back on track.)

so Staring at the Sun is the worst U2 song has ever written and Electrical Storm was written by Salmon Rushdie?! news to me.

so Staring at the Sun is the worst U2 song has ever written and Electrical Storm was written by Salmon Rushdie?! news to me.
Not many people know this, but Rushdie writes all U2's material. In fact, he actually IS Bono! The "Salman Rushdie" that came on stage at Zoo TV was a stunt double.

Also, the whole Iran thing was a hoax...Rushdie/Bono never got any death threats, he just wanted to focus exclusively on his new identity.

:shh:

Electrical Storm was written by Salmon Rushdie?! news to me.

I can't stand Salman rushdie's work, but even he wouldn't write something like " the air is heavy, heavy like a truck." :wink:
i love Electrical storm, one of my top 5 of the decade. The actual song by Salman Rushdie comes 1st, TGBHF.

Salman Rushdie did not write the song. The song was named after the book The Ground Beneath Her Feet, and is also thematically based on it.

With respects to Electrical Storm, there is a line repeated in the song that comes almost word for word out of the same book, it's sortof a part of the storyline also. And it ain't "the air is heavy, heavy like a truck" - which is why I said the line I'm referring to is probably the song's most redeeming quality...I guess it's written by Bono..but I always felt it was very derivative from the book, imo. Similar to many other U2 songs I guess.

Have you read the book? You should. The nature of the relationship of the couple in Electrical Storm could easily be interpreted as having come from the story of the book. The line and/or it's premise is repeated several times in the book.

Hmm. Maybe ES isn't a "worst U2 song" after all. I liked the book. There was just something about the falsetto chorus I didn't like. That and "the air is heavy" ;)

All Because of You
Crazy Tonight
Boots
Stand Up Comedy

A shame 3 of those follow each other on one album. Really takes NLOTH down a fair few notches from a great album to an average album. But that's for another discussion!

Just like I can't pick out a favorite song, I have no single one most reviled...they usually have a stinker or so from each album..for me they'd be:

Shadows and Trees
Is That All (also Stranger in a Strange Land)
Refugee <<<<<<< Red Light is wayyyy better!
4th of July (sorry, not an album track)
NOTHING FROM JT
(Holy shit, I just realized, nothing from R&H either!!)
Nothing from AB
Babyface, Some Days Are Better, Daddy's Gonna Pay...not horrible just not album worthy imo
Miami (altho Staring At The Sun irritates the hell out of me sometimes)
Wild Honey
Big Girls Are Best
Electrical Storm << this song's only redeeming quality was written by Salman Rushdie, not Bono ;)
Vertigo <<<< yes, I'd prefer to listen to A Man And A Woman than Vertigo! lol
Fez Being Born...holy fuck, Fez Being Born. Also Stand Up Comedy, Cedars of Lebanon and Get on Your Boots < just totally annoying the hell out of me

What the fuck??? :D

Babyface.....check
Fez......check

add Numb to that list for me....

I wasn't aware of any Ground Beneath Her Feet (the novel) inspiration in "Electrical Storm". It would be good to have the passage for proof of this claim.

I've never thought much of Salman Rushdie, but maybe I'm unfair to him. I made it halfway through The Ground Beneath her Feet (i.e., about 1400 pages) and then got tired of the book, which was boring, frankly. Rushdie came to my university to do a talk one time (about 100 metres from where I'm now living) and I saw him there, and again was unimpressed. He seemed to have taken the "Indian guy in the West writing about topics that Academics love and so I'm the spokesman for anything" kind of ticket and was running amuck with it.

There is a character in The Ground (novel) that is apparently drawn from Bono.

Back
Top Bottom