Why not U2 and . . . the Chieftains?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Refugee
I am currently watching the (delightful) old video of the Chieftains' late-80s collaboration with James Galway in Dublin. In their history, this was followed by the Van Morrison collaboration (and the hit album, Irish Heartbeat); they've also collaborated with Mark Knopfler, Mick Jagger, Elvis Costello, Sinead O'Connor, Sting, Ziggy Marley, and many more... So why not U2?

The U2-guys have a somewhat tenuous connection to traditional Irish music, and I'm sure the idea of such a collaboration would give them warning signs of "impending retirement / musical conservatism" that would send them running back to Brian Eno and his latest techno box. Nevertheless, the rare occasions when Bono has worked a traditional song have been great, and I think this kind of project would (a) re-establish U2 with their older/trad fan base that preferred them as spiritual Irishmen, and (b) be the ultimate payday for the Chieftains.

So, whaddaya think? The only problem I can foresee is how to work Larry and Adam into a traditional arrangement. I guess Larry can always play along, but what would Adam do?

I don't know why such a collaboration would give warning signs of retirement? I think some of you folks are paranoid.

They've had hints of more traditional Irish music in a few tunes in the past such as Tomorrow or Wild Irish Rose, Bono's done a few standards and they just did the song for Ronnie Drew.

But I think the answer you are looking for is in your first sentence. All those collaborations are with sings and not whole bands.

You're right - it's been too long since we heard some uilleann pipes on a U2 record. A return to Irish trad is long overdue. There is an Irish solo artist called Damien Dempsey (who actually worked with the boys on the Ronnie Drew tribute song) who has some fantastic songs that blend the Irish trad and folk / singer songwriting styles. Check out It's All Good or Colony for starters.

I doubt you'll see U2 going down that road anytime soon. It would be great but they probably have other things in mind for the next record. I'd love to see Bono get the harmonica out soon as well.

But I think the answer you are looking for is in your first sentence. All those collaborations are with sings and not whole bands.

Hmm, you're quite right. Okay then, a side project -- "Bono and the Chieftains"!!

Back
Top Bottom