One word :

Bono.

edit : and two more :

Willie Williams.

U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 10:04 AM
somehow they always manage to turn (already) good songs into great songs. You are always left after the show with that 'wow' feeling....

BGD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Chemistry. Theirs is the perfect blend of functional and dysfunctional.

Willie Williams and Joe O'Herlihy both deserve a ton of credit, though. They are two of the best in their respective fields.
silkensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:04 AM
From my perspective, part of what makes them the greatest live band is that I've never seen them on stage when they weren't trying to entertain the crowd, i.e. I've never seen them 'phone in' a performance. They may have nights where things are slightly off, but I've never known them to just show up & expect you to be thankful they made it to the stage. Like kingofsorrow said, I always leave one of their shows feeling I got way more value than what went into the purchase of my ticket.

Another, more personal, reason for me is that Mr. Blu is not a crowd person... I can hardly get him to go to local street fairs & we live in a small city of less than 10K. But because of the overall positive atmosphere at a U2 show, he not only agrees to do GAs, he insists on it now. (Yaay for my powers of persuasion! ) There is NO other group that he'll do that for - Hell, there aren't many others I'd do GA for - and it just proves to me they're the greatest in the world.
BluRmGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:04 AM
I think their such a great live band because all their songs take on a different life or there own when there performed live. The songs sound so much better live then on record.

The sound itself is the best sound ive ever heard at a gig. This proved itself at glastonbury were half the concert bonos voice was quite low,this would never of happened at u2's own gig

The stage,light and effects are unbelieveable

Bono is one hell of a frontman you cannot to tour eyes off him. Having bono as the singer does help u2 alot. The edge is great but without bono u2 wouldnt be the same.u2 wouldnt be u2 without bono.

Emotion and passion

I read a quote from someone the once that said seeing u2 is like a religous experience and sometimes i really think it is!
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
I think their such a great live band because all their songs take on a different life or there own when there performed live. The songs sound so much better live then on record.

The sound itself is the best sound ive ever heard at a gig. This proved itself at glastonbury were half the concert bonos voice was quite low,this would never of happened at u2's own gig

The stage,light and effects are unbelieveable

Bono is one hell of a frontman you cannot to tour eyes off him. Having bono as the singer does help u2 alot. The edge is great but without bono u2 wouldnt be the same.u2 wouldnt be u2 without bono.

Emotion and passion

I read a quote from someone the once that said seeing u2 is like a religous experience and sometimes i really think it is!

This.

Bono is one of the best front men ever. And while we here sometimes question Bono's vocals, it's only because we are spoiled. He remains one of the best vocalists around. Hearing him belt out operatic "Miss Sarejevo" or powerful screams or haunting falsettos is still a highlight.

U2 have also made music that is designed for the arena (or stadium). Many of their songs just get you up off your feet, wanting to sing along. While the songs themselves are fantastic, U2 work very hard at finding a way to present these songs in a live setting - and they've long since succeeded. Some artists are worried about reproducing what they created in the studio. U2 not only wants to improve on that sound, but wants to add to it as well. This is why we so often hear an extra verse or extended chorus or the snippets.

Lastly, U2 use technology to their advantage. The innovation with trabants and TVs to giant arches to ball screens to video filled claws - it helps bring the audience in. This is very important in a stadium setting where it's all too easy to get lost amongst the tens of thousands of people.

The results from the 360 tour prove that even when U2 need to delay part of their tour, people will wait - and will happily see the show.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 04:04 AM
one more thing. u2 made the lemon the coolest citrus ever. take that orange.

kingofsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post

Bono is one of the best front men ever.
mama cass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmike View Post
I've been to about 15 Chili Peppers shows in the last 13 years. You're spot on with your description, but it's not a "bad" night. It's every night.
ahh ok thanks! maybe the chilis are better in a tiny intimate venue where they don't need to try hard to reach the audience (the stadium i saw them at has a capacity of 80,000)? i mean, the music itself, mainly the jamming between bass and drums, was fantastic!

mama cass is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
u2 band live essay