U23D Blu-Ray?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Partyslammer

War Child
Has there been any forward movement on releasing U23D on Blu-ray? It seemed like an awfully expensive project to produce, show in a limited number of 3D IMAX theaters with apparently little profit and then let languish. When I saw it during it's run, I thought it was and remains one of the best filmed 3D films I've ever seen. With the 3D home video "craze" already peaking (it hasn't really gone beyond a small niche market and the major manufacturers appear to be ready to cut production on 3D flatscreens in the next 2 years) I am surprised U2, Inc isn't capitalizing on what may be a very short window left to get any sales out of this release.

I've wondered about this myself. It was the first 3D rock concert film in history as far as I know, and was incredibly popular. Unlike R&H, I don't believe there are any rights issues involved, and clearly the technology is now there for a 3D BD release, which at the time of release is what they said they'd wait for before putting out on home video.

Perhaps they think the public was over saturated with U2 during NLOTH/360 (which pretty much coincided with the rise in popularity of 3D) and are giving people a break. Or maybe they're waiting until closer to the new album's release to wet people's appetite for U2. Either way, I'd think they want to get it out there while that format is still popular, because like the OP I'm not entirely convinced it's going to remain so.

They played it recently at my theatre. Frankly its the best use of 3D besides Avatar and absolutely deserves a Blu Ray release. Hope that day arrives sooner than later.

Hmmmmm. I'm getting ready to head to Spain (where lemons never get voted off) for a few weeks, and my friend there tells me it's playing where he lives. So perhaps they haven't released it on home video because it's still popping up in IMAX (and non-IMAX) theatres. Though I can't imagine those sporadic tickets sales could match what they'd make on home video. Anyway I only saw it once, so I might check it out again.

Back
Top Bottom