U2, Coldplay, and the Killers:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of all three bands. U2 are miles ahead of either of them of course, but this is a joke observation so no one get offended!

The Killers: U2's little brother
Coldplay: U2's little sister

;)
Thoughts? And I make these observations purely in relation to musical style. Personalities of the bands and band members themselves are irrelevant in my view when you're comparing music.

^ agree with both above. I love the Killers, and I don't think what was said was offensive to them either. It was pretty apt!

What shows enourmous respect to one of those bands (and not the other!) is the obvious Brandon Flowers influence in the vocals on the encore opener in the 360 tour (not named to not give away a spoiler, but you all know which one!)

The Killers: Good band, with some perfect tunes. But it still lacks somehting. Anyway, I'll always respect a band that has done songs like All These Things That I've Done, Read My Mind, Jenny Was a Friend of Mine, Somebody Told Me, etc... Also, kudos for them trying new sounds with their latest album, even if the results aren't satisfactory.
Coldplay: Great band with several amazing/perfect songs. Seems pretty good live and has a charismatic vocalist. And they're evolving, always a great compliment. Viva La Vida and A Rush of Blood to the Head will be remembered in the future as highlights of this decade. And even X&Y - which I find a pretty decent album - has killler tunes like Fix You and Swallowed In the Sea

I don't care about comparisions. In all sincerity, independent of the person being a Coldplay and/or Killers and/or U2 fan, I think any comparision is ridiculous. (Even though I joke about that a lot. :wink:)

^ agree with both above. I love the Killers, and I don't think what was said was offensive to them either. It was pretty apt!

It wasn't meant to be offensive, thank you for seeing that...

I look at the Killers and I see a band that listened to a lot of U2 and Duran Duran and took the best of both bands and blended them together...

^ I think the things that irks people most here about Coldplay are:

- There is only room in the heart for one self-depricating, pontificating saint

- Their first 3 albums were all solid, but a bit samey, and by x & Y they were stale. They always make great songs, but needed to experiment

- The way they chose to experiment for the 4th album was by bringing in Eno to try and remake U2's 4th album and claiming it was better or just as good or whatever.

CMart is the perfect frontman, but I dont think one can be a hardcore fan of either, and having such strong frontmen in both bands tends to mean you war with the one you dont love.

I love coldplay's music at times, sometimes I find it bland and uninspired. CMart shits me to tears because he thinks he's the new Bono.

It wasn't meant to be offensive, thank you for seeing that...

I look at the Killers and I see a band that listened to a lot of U2 and Duran Duran and took the best of both bands and blended them together...

Absolutely. I wasn't sure what spirit it was offered, but yeah, there was definately nothing wrong with saying it, or in them doing it.

I am one of the few that loved the Killers last album. To me, it was the sort of transitional album that Zooropa was (not stylistically, but idealistically).

They had a smattering of songs that were unashamedly similar to their previous work, some songs that were just totally new styles, and some that bridged the gap. Hopefully that means we get their Pop next.

To me, they are moving from the rockier tunes, albeit electro and synth infused, to something lighter and spacier. Losing Touch was the bets opener on the disc because it reminded you where the were coming from after the shock of Human. I Can't Stay and This Is Your Life are great tunes, and very new for them, and I hope they carry that further next time out

^ I think the things that irks people most here about Coldplay are:

- There is only room in the heart for one self-depricating, pontificating saint

- Their first 3 albums were all solid, but a bit samey, and by x & Y they were stale. They always make great songs, but needed to experiment

- The way they chose to experiment for the 4th album was by bringing in Eno to try and remake U2's 4th album and claiming it was better or just as good or whatever.

CMart is the perfect frontman, but I dont think one can be a hardcore fan of either, and having such strong frontmen in both bands tends to mean you war with the one you dont love.

I love coldplay's music at times, sometimes I find it bland and uninspired. CMart shits me to tears because he thinks he's the new Bono.

I personally think Parachutes and Rush of Blood to the Head are both great albums, more than solid to me while X & Y was okay but methinks they needed to change direction then rather then on Viva La Vida. I has a feeling that this thread is going to turn into a full-on Coldplay discussion/bash thread.

Sometimes I also find some of their music to seem uninspired and bland, a perfect example of that in my opinion is 'The Hardest Part', cliched Coldplay to me. :reject:

hatrick patrick - one trick pony? probably.

coldplay are a good band. the killers are a good band. neither are U2. no music is original anyway. surely someone will give them a break one day, and maybe some time in the future a week will be able to go by without one of these bloody threads

parachutes is my favourite coldplay album.

oh look, another thread comparing U2 to Coldplay and The Killers....

Let me predict the next 20 pages (if it doesn't get locked before that):

:blahblah: Coldplay sucks, U2 is teh bezt! :blahblah: Chris Martin is a woman! Brendan Flowers is a pansy! :blahblah: Coldplay copies U2, Bono invented music, Edge invented the Guitar!, random complaining and bitching - yadda yadda yadda...

goodnight folks.

What the hell does one trick pony mean? ;)

Yeah I knda knew what was going to happen, it's just my take on it. I don't get why so many people insist that you belong in one faction or the other, or that if you like one of the other bands you're a "traitor" to the first. U2, The Killers, and Coldplay for me define their very own genre, some kind of anthemic, half rock and half orchestrated type of sound. It's the use (abuse?) of ambient strings, not to create the ambience they were originally designed for, but to add epic power and punch to the song - think of songs like When You Were Young (Killers) Talk (Coldplay) and CoBL (U2)... What exactly is they have in common? I can't quite figure it out, but I'm sure that when I do I'll have unlocked the secret to my own perfect genre. It may not even have a name at this point - 8th and 16th note basslines, heavy strings, 8th note guitar fifths, solos which shoot from low to high, and very strong, almost strained vocals...

It's my kind of music so therefore these are my three favourite bands. Why do so many people think that you have to "pick one", when you could have three different varieties of the same type of music? U2 are the best at it, sure, but it doesn't mean the other two are necessarily "crappy rip offs" or whatever...

Coldplay had some decent songs in their heyday (Clocks, Shiver, Trouble) but for the most part they produce boring melodies set to boring music with boring, whiney lead vocals. Why Chris Martin is revered as a good vocalist is beyond me, he has one of the worst falsettos i've ever heard, and his music as a whole is just, well, wimpy.

The Killers have never written a song that i like. I don't care what their influences are, i'm not falling for the whole 80's revival thing, because no matter how many corny synthesizers they add to the mix, the songwriting is still post-2000's uninspired emo crap.

U2's worst songs are genius compared to The Killers.

Back
Top Bottom