U2 and MTV EMA Discussion 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We should flood Keith with requests to retract what he said. When he is proven wrong he has no problem admitting it, I've seen him do mea culpa's many times.

Why are they blaming this (not just keith but other media as well) on U2 and not solely on MTV?

It's not like it was a U2 only show. ??? I don't get it.:|

in hindsight u2 could have refused to perform unless they, well, tore down that wall... i'm sure they wish they would have done that now, but at the time i'm guessing they didn't even think about it.

an obvious accidental oops and not a contrived plan to fuck people over. reality is it's MTV's fault, but u2 will be lumped in with it.

One/Magnificent and SBS were shown during the show. The rest is probably audience cameras.

wait, i thought the wall did come down before the show started. either way, i don't know that U2 truly had control over this. i normally like Olbermann because Republicans are bad people and he does a very good job of pointing that out, but shame on him for blaming U2.

Enough with this "wall" bull***t already. It wasn't a wall, it was a fence, people could see through it. It was set up by MTV due to security reasons, because they expected 100.000s of people streaming into the area. Before the show started, all the barricades were opened. End of story. People, and especially certain media, like to stir up shit and cast a negative light on a good and positive event. Guess what: Bono was involved, no surprise the Guardian is writing shit, they have a long tradition of Bono/U2 hate. I wish people would stop feeding into this media negativity and just focus on the great performance the band gave that night.

Well, "MTV built a 6 foot fence which was taken down before U2's show" just doesn't get the reader's attention like "U2 built a wall for their show" does it ?

This Berlin thing is a F*CKING PR DISASTER. This should have been a great chance to celebrate, and enjoy the wonderful performance they gave. Instead the entire world is taking a shit on U2 over this. Type in U2 and Berlin on google and you get well over 1,000 articles on the concert - most of them about the "outrage" over "the wall."

This Berlin thing is a F*CKING PR DISASTER.

It's not. :angry: I'm getting tired of people blowing this out of proportion. Our media here couldn't care less. All I've heard and seen in recent days were positive reports about U2. The "wall" thing was only interesting for a day. Stop feeding into this stupid media frenzy and stop exaggerating. U2 in Berlin was a beautiful event and some people just love to turn good and positive things into something negative. It's enough already. What's disastrous about the performance? The band gave one of their strongest performances and were in fine form, the audience loved it, it was definitely the highlight of an otherwise embarrassing and boring award show.

Talk about this totally drunk moron David Hasselhoff instead. Now THIS is discussed in the media here a lot.

Fans are overreacting in terms of "negative reports". Strangely I don't see any people from Germany or people who were actually there reacting like this. It's nice that people from all over the world are worrying so much about the freedom of the poor people of Berlin.

It's not. :angry: I'm getting tired of people blowing this out of proportion. Our media here couldn't care less. All I've heard and seen in recent days were positive reports about U2. The "wall" thing was only interesting for a day. Stop feeding into this stupid media frenzy and stop exaggerating. U2 in Berlin was a beautiful event and some people just love to turn good and positive things into something negative. It's enough already. What's disastrous about the performance? The band gave one of their strongest performances and were in fine form, the audience loved it, it was definitely the highlight of an otherwise embarrassing and boring award show.

Talk about this totally drunk moron David Hasselhoff instead. Now THIS is discussed in the media here a lot.

Fans are overreacting in terms of "negative reports". Strangely I don't see any people from Germany or people who were actually there reacting like this. It's nice that people from all over the world are worrying so much about the freedom of the poor people of Berlin.

I did not say there was anything wrong with the performance. You put those words in my mouth. The performances were incredible.

You are right - the concert itself was a beautiful event and the audience loved it. But if you look at the way this is being covered in stories around the world - instead of the news reports being about what a great moment this was - they are all about the irony of building a wall around the concert. The news reports don't mention that it was taken down when the performance started. They rarely mention that it was MTV who built the wall - not U2. Lots of them call it "U2's Wall." The story has been covered on ABC News, CBS News, Yahoo News, The Guardian, The Telegraph, the BBC, Euro News, The Independent, and hundreds more - and from looking at the articles most of them are negative.

I'm just saying I'm frustrated by all this negativity. You can just stick your head in the sand and pretend nobody is saying anything bad, but the fact is there a ton of negative press out there when it didn't need to be - what a damn shame it is.

So the one story came out the day it happened, media posted stories about ZOMG OUTRAGE and then ....what? The articles are still there, because that's the internet and they'll be there forever, but it's not like it's a continuing outrage, especially after it became evident that they took the barrier down.

I haven't seen anything since then that's led me to believe it's an ongoing controversy, just people talking about the same original story. :shrug:

I did not say there was anything wrong with the performance. You put those words in my mouth. The performances were incredible.

You are right - the concert itself was a beautiful event and the audience loved it. But if you look at the way this is being covered in stories around the world - instead of the news reports being about what a great moment this was - they are all about the irony of building a wall around the concert. The news reports don't mention that it was taken down when the performance started. They rarely mention that it was MTV who built the wall - not U2. Lots of them call it "U2's Wall." The story has been covered on ABC News, CBS News, Yahoo News, The Guardian, The Telegraph, the BBC, Euro News, The Independent, and hundreds more - and from looking at the articles most of them are negative.

I'm just saying I'm frustrated by all this negativity. You can just stick your head in the sand and pretend nobody is saying anything bad, but the fact is there a ton of negative press out there when it didn't need to be - what a damn shame it is.

When this is the only thing that sticks in peoples' minds (and I wouldn't wonder if that were the case. Bad news tend to be remembered more than good ones) then it is really, unfortunately, not good PR. Not really surprising though that media is pretty much incorrect and inaccurate about it. They are going for effect. I can only say that the media reports here in Germany, especially from the Berliner newspapers, have been very positive and didn't even talk about the fence/wall. When the rest of the world decides it needs to pity us and blame the band for erecting walls I guess it's something we will have to deal with. Don't assume that to be a big issue in future, however. Probably will be forgotten pretty soon.

Bon Jovi is going to play their new single tomorrow night at the other side of the Brandenburg Gate.

So the one story came out the day it happened, media posted stories about ZOMG OUTRAGE and then ....what? The articles are still there, because that's the internet and they'll be there forever, but it's not like it's a continuing outrage, especially after it became evident that they took the barrier down.

I haven't seen anything since then that's led me to believe it's an ongoing controversy, just people talking about the same original story. :shrug:

You may be right, but I have searched and don't see any articles correcting the misinformation. The damage has already been done by that initial burst of reports.

I guess we have to move on and just remember the good things, it's just so unfortunate and unnecessary this had to happen.

It doesn't surprise me that the news outlets would update their initial story with the new information, because that makes for less interesting news.

I just think you're overestimating the "damage" from this. Don't sweat it - U2 will emerge unscathed. :)

Agreed.
Bon Jovi is going to play their new single tomorrow night at the other side of the Brandenburg Gate.

Now for that, I truly do pity Berlin. :wink:

Will go to the festivities tomorrow. Let me see. :D

And before I will watch the "Recreating Berlin Wall" flashmob, where along the route of the former wall people will gather and stand for about 30 minutes to make a human wall. :D Then I will walk along those evil fences the city of Berlin put up to close off the venue, guarded by hundreds of partly heavily armed police. Gotta be so traumatised after that. :cute:

Back
Top Bottom